S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   Walbro 255 on e85 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/walbro-255-e85-1190545/)

Nfinitecc 12-22-2018 07:06 PM

Walbro 255 on e85

Curious how many people are running a 255 on e85. I know a lot of people do it with success but most posts I’ve seen are pretty old. I won’t run anything but a Walbro so a AEM or FB is out of the question. I feel like a 400 is overkill on my 06 returnless system so I’d like feedback if anyone out there has had long term success with the 255 on e85.

AP1Chief 12-22-2018 09:18 PM

Just throw a 450 in there and call it a day.

255 wont be very safe after 450 on E85, you're gonna be having to turn the pressure way up, and shes gonna give up, 255 just cant flow what the 450 can.

All my customers on E85, First thing I recommend is a 450.

s2000Junky 12-22-2018 09:42 PM

Why do people still run these old walboro's? They were obsolete almost 10 years ago with the advent of the FB340 or AEM320, all of which are superior in every way!

Kyle 12-22-2018 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky (Post 24546896)
Why do people still run these old walboro's? They were obsolete almost 10 years ago with the advent of the FB340 or AEM320, all of which are superior in every way!

And also made in China lol. That matters to certain people. Not arguing with you at all, just giving a potential reason. Walbro 255s always come highly recommended for basic setups by almost all tuners. You've got tuners who have been in the game for 10-20+ years still recommending the 255, and I'm positive they've seen them all. Not sure if they're just creatures of habit or what, but typically genuine Walbros have bulletproof reliability. The Walbro 255 in particular uses a georotor design vs a turbine, that's why it's louder. If you take a look inside you can see the all metal construction; it's pretty nice, and reassuring for some people I guess. I'm sure the Aeromotive, AEM, FB, DW pumps are all fine, I've run 2 of those brands before without issue.....Afaik though they're all manufactured in the same place.

Check out the inside:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...a93641ad5.jpeg

Basically it just comes down to use whatever you like that best fits your application. If you must have a Walbro for the reason listed above or you've always used them I'd choose the one that best fits your power goals. The 400 & 450 are newer turbine designs right? Also, the genuine 255s aren't as loud as people make them out to be.....I had this discussion with a few people, but most of the hella loud Ryobi drill sounding WALLBORUs are Chinese knockoffs with plastic internals and subpar electrics and assembly materials.

s2000Junky 12-22-2018 11:47 PM

And ironically, the Walboro's were copied by the Chinese for a period of time when they were popular ( I know since I got one) and they didn't flow properly, made the inferior internal parts, so was a crap shoot if you got a legit one or not. Might be better now getting a real one since the fuel pump market has broadened to other options as mentioned. But I've run the FB 340 for 5 years and been running the AEM320 for a while now. The FB pump went up quite a bit in cost so I diced to move to the AEM since it came out and its doing its job just fine.

Kyle 12-22-2018 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky (Post 24546919)
And ironically, the Walboro's were copied by the Chinese for a period of time when they were popular ( I know since I got one) and they didn't flow properly, made the inferior internal parts, so was a crap shoot if you gt a legit one or not. Might be better now getting a real one since the fuel pump market has broadened to other options as mentioned. But I've run the FB 340 for 5 years and been running the AEM320 for a while now. The FB pump went up quite a bit in cost so I diced to move to the AEM since it came out and its doing its job just fine.

Yeah there's a pretty decent visual guide out there to spot knockoffs....Chinese knockoffs continue to get better and better eluding even the most trained eye. I suppose the best way to get one would be to base it both on cost as well as the legitimacy of the distributor. I don't know if Ti Automotive (owns the Walbro brand name now) sells them direct to consumers, but I'd just get one through one of their dealers and you should be okay.

riceball777 12-23-2018 01:10 AM

Back 8-10 years ago when the walbro 255 was the only option I ran it both my s2000 and my evo 8. They ran on E85 just fine for many years. I never had a problem with them besides the low hp capability on E85 and the winning noise especially on a hot day and when the fuel was low. Now a days with the new style fuel pumps and them all being so cheap now it makes zero sense to run a walbro 255 pump. I now run the walbro 450 in my s2000, evo and bmw 335i. But since the new walbro 525lph came out a few months ago if I were buying now I would just go for the new walbro 525. I also strictly run E85 in all my cars.

Nfinitecc 12-23-2018 02:51 AM

THanks for all the answers. As far as the reason I’ll only use Walbro is it’s hard to ignore the fact a lot of AEM320 and FB pumps fail, tons of reports of people having multiple AEM’s fail back to back. I won’t use any AEM products as I’ve found all their stuff to be junk in my experience with them. I’ve also owned a few 255’s and never had a problem with noise, I daily drove a turbo EK hatch for years with one, but on 93.

The 255 is dead reliable as I’m sure the 400 is, but this car truly won’t ever see even 400hp. I’m not one of the those guys that’ll be thirsty for more, I know the use for this motor in this car, it will never will. This car is just a fun car to drive with my wife on the weekends or to our property in Austin (4 hours away). Reliability is above max HP on this car for its use. I want to LS the car like I did my last one but my wife doesn’t like the harshness of the swap and if I decide to not run AC then she’ll never ride in it again lol. She likes the s2k and we’ve enjoyed using it on the weekends, I’m just gonna give it some better mid range.

So with that out of the way....I’m still open to the 400 but I assumed I was going to have high base Fuel pressure on a stock rail and a returnless system given my power goals. I’ll be on ID1050x. SOS sells there machined adapter so it’s just as easy to install.

Nfinitecc 12-23-2018 07:17 AM

And let me say again, I would prefer to use the larger Walbro if I can get away with it at ~350 wheel.

1SlowSi 02-04-2019 10:33 AM

I've used them all. I had a single walbro 255 making around 440whp (the max with 1000cc) and it ran great for 2 years. I then purchased another Walbro 255 and ran a twin setup making 700hp for over a year and then switched out to twin AEM 320lph and they all ran great. Obsolete or not, the Walbro's work.