S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Want 500 hp and a smooth engaging clutch? We have your solution here!

Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by ScienceofSpeed
A used pressure plate should not be used with a new disc - this is why we sell them as a set.
That's proven bogus.

The friction disc that comes with your sport clutch is inferior to OEM, its way too grabby and wears quickly as I mentioned, but its a good PP with an OEM disc as a combo, such as the common Act PP with our OEM disc many of us run (that PP you can buy separate). After about 15k miles I replaced the sport clutch disc with an oem friction disc, had smoother engagement and lost no holding capacity. If you offered just the PP, you would probably sell more of them. Your new higher holding capacity clutch may prove to be a similar situation in the long term, just have to see how it pans out in the real world. This one will be competing directly with the common go to ACT PP with OEM disc combo which holds a reported 380trq+

Last edited by s2000Junky; 11-21-2016 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
davidc1 (12-24-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
That's proven bogus.

The friction disc that comes with your sport clutch is inferior to OEM, its way too grabby and wears quickly as I mentioned, but its a good PP with an OEM disc as a combo, such as the common Act PP with our OEM disc many of us run (that PP you can buy separate). After about 15k miles I replaced the sport clutch disc with an oem friction disc, had smoother engagement and lost no holding capacity. If you offered just the PP, you would probably sell more of them. Your new higher holding capacity clutch may prove to be a similar situation in the long term, just have to see how it pans out in the real world. This one will be competing directly with the common go to ACT PP with OEM disc combo which holds a reported 380trq+
X2
Old 11-21-2016, 05:18 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

For what it's worth, I have tried the OEM disk with an aftermarket PP (Spec stage 2). While it drove well, it couldn't hold up to a decent sized turbo. Once it hit full boost in higher gears, the clutch smokes itself. This same setup with the proper disk easily held 363 ft-lbf on my old turbo setup. At the time, the only way I could guarantee that the new clutch would be street able, reasonably quiet, and would hold the power was to go with a SOS twin carbon clutch. This seems like an interesting alternative.

Tim
Old 11-21-2016, 06:13 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by timg
For what it's worth, I have tried the OEM disk with an aftermarket PP (Spec stage 2). While it drove well, it couldn't hold up to a decent sized turbo. Once it hit full boost in higher gears, the clutch smokes itself. This same setup with the proper disk easily held 363 ft-lbf on my old turbo setup. At the time, the only way I could guarantee that the new clutch would be street able, reasonably quiet, and would hold the power was to go with a SOS twin carbon clutch. This seems like an interesting alternative.

Tim
Your PP wasn't up to snuff. If you were running the ACT PP with the OEM disc you wouldn't have had a problem at 363 trq. The PP is where roughly 90% of the holding duty comes from. The other 10% is splitting hairs with the disc material (how eager it is to grab and modulate at engagement point) and how heavy your flywheel is, which will effect this as well. If your clutch was already underrated for your power but just making it happen, losing 10% might be all that was required to make it slip. Generally a stage 2 anything isn't up to par for what your putting down.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

buy a new clutch, before you install it call a custom clutch company and make a few extra disks. If you in NY or want to ship a disk to them, I highly recommend Falcon Clutch. They make prototypes for OEM manufacturers. Price is super competitive, but wait times can be up to a few weeks.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's proven bogus.

While I respect your point of view, I think you're misinformed. The disc you're referring to used in our Sport clutch (not the one we're introducing in this post) which you refer to as "inferior to OEM" is incorrect. The disc is literally OEM and identical to the high quality factory part. You'll note the "Honda" logo on the disc hub if you look closely. If you replaced the disc with a disc from Honda, you replaced one part with an identical part. I can not explain why one would feel different from another - it likely could be a input shaft lubrication problem between the first that was installed and the second.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:49 PM
Community Organizer

While I respect your point of view, I think you're misinformed. The disc you're referring to used in our Sport clutch (not the one we're introducing in this post) which you refer to as "inferior to OEM" is incorrect. The disc is literally OEM and identical to the high quality factory part. You'll note the "Honda" logo on the disc hub if you look closely. If you replaced the disc with a disc from Honda, you replaced one part with an identical part. I can not explain why one would feel different from another - it likely could be a input shaft lubrication problem between the first that was installed and the second.
I think highly of your products, and know you Chris have been a player since the start, so I have always been a strong advocate for your company. But sharing my knowledge and experiences to the club ive been apart of for nearly a decade is what its about for me if it helps steer people in the right direction, otherwise what good am I. Ive run 2 of your sport clutches so 2 different sport clutch disc with your PP and 2 OEM disc on the last most current PP. Both supplied sport disc performed the same way, same pedal feel, so nothing related to lubrication, but they were grabby and chattered when going in reverse, and a rather surprising rapid wear rate. I never had any hence of slipping however, so they held fine. But the disc smelled regularly from normal driving around town with slightest of inclines where a little more slip modulation was needed in normal day to day use. Those disc are long gone so I couldn't pull one out to verify what you claim today, but I seem to recall the design and color of the friction material different then the OEM disc I had when comparing them back then after inspecting the first disc in dissatisfaction.

The other dissatisfying part was not being able to purchase your clutch separate from the PP/friction disc. At the time, the option was going with your new sport clutch or risking going with the Act PP/OEM disc with "crank walk" still in the forefront of our minds, So I didn't want to risk running the old ACT PP and opted for yours. I seem to recall on your website, or may have been speaking with you overt the phone (its been a wile) stating the friction disc were modified OEM? What was modified? Did you offer a different friction disc with your sport clutch when it first came out 7-8 some years ago when I purchased? And was it eventually revised to pure OEM?

2 out of 2 back to back, with then switching to OEM supplied Honda disc shaped my experience, and so I will continue to use your PP (which I think is great) when its time for a new clutch, but it will get another OEM disc. Im on the 3rd disc with the same/current SOS PP with a little over 100k on it. The Honda supplied OEM disc has been on for 80k+ of those miles and still good. I might consider a new Sport PP if you offered one when I get closer to 200k, but im not willing to try another one of the disc you pair with it, so that might put me into another option all together when that time comes.

Here is to the new Sport 400, look forward to the reviews

Last edited by s2000Junky; 11-21-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

I think highly of your products, and know you Chris have been a player since the start, so I have always been a strong advocate for your company. But sharing my knowledge and experiences to the club ive been apart of for nearly a decade is what its about for me if it helps steer people in the right direction, otherwise what good am I. Ive run 2 of your sport clutches so 2 different sport clutch disc with your PP and 2 OEM disc on the last most current PP. Both supplied sport disc performed the same way, same pedal feel, so nothing related to lubrication, but they were grabby and chattered when going in reverse, and a rather surprising rapid wear rate. I never had any hence of slipping however, so they held fine. But the disc smelled regularly from normal driving around town with slightest of inclines where a little more slip modulation was needed in normal day to day use. Those disc are long gone so I couldn't pull one out to verify what you claim today, but I seem to recall the design and color of the friction material different then the OEM disc I had when comparing them back then after inspecting the first disc in dissatisfaction.

The other dissatisfying part was not being able to purchase your clutch separate from the PP/friction disc. At the time, the option was going with your new sport clutch or risking going with the Act PP/OEM disc with "crank walk" still in the forefront of our minds, So I didn't want to risk running the old ACT PP and opted for yours. I seem to recall on your website, or may have been speaking with you overt the phone (its been a wile) stating the friction disc were modified OEM? What was modified? Did you offer a different friction disc with your sport clutch when it first came out 7-8 some years ago when I purchased? And was it eventually revised to pure OEM?

2 out of 2 back to back, with then switching to OEM supplied Honda disc shaped my experience, and so I will continue to use your PP (which I think is great) when its time for a new clutch, but it will get another OEM disc. Im on the 3rd disc with the same/current SOS PP with a little over 100k on it. The Honda supplied OEM disc has been on for 80k+ of those miles and still good. I might consider a new Sport PP if you offered one when I get closer to 200k, but im not willing to try another one of the disc you pair with it, so that might put me into another option all together when that time comes.

Here is to the new Sport 400, look forward to the reviews
Thank you for taking the time to post the review, we really appreciate it! I'm really not sure what to say about this - the disc that you buy from Honda is definitely the same as the disc we supply in the kit (what we call our Sport 325 now). We've installed a large number of these in house - and they are definitely very smooth to engage, just like factory. In fact, we've had feedback that people think it's too smooth for a clutch that's labeled "sport". If you'd like - please drop me an e-mail to info@ScienceofSpeed.com so we can further the discussion to see if we can glean anything from your experience. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by timg

Tim
Thanks Tim. I would imagine the Spec pressure plate with the OEM disc will not handle that torque. I don't know the pressure curve of the Spec pressure plate - but if it is anything like ours, we rate this to only 325 lb/ft at the engine. Thank you for purchasing the Billet Twin Carbon. It's definitely very capable. I think this new Sport 400 Hybrid fits that "in between" gap of torque capacity that we previously did not have a solution for.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Community Organizer

Thank you for taking the time to post the review, we really appreciate it! I'm really not sure what to say about this - the disc that you buy from Honda is definitely the same as the disc we supply in the kit (what we call our Sport 325 now). We've installed a large number of these in house - and they are definitely very smooth to engage, just like factory. In fact, we've had feedback that people think it's too smooth for a clutch that's labeled "sport". If you'd like - please drop me an e-mail to info@ScienceofSpeed.com so we can further the discussion to see if we can glean anything from your experience. Thank you!
Absolutely welcome. And thanks for supporting our community over the years and continuing to strive for making/offering better and better performance products for the S2k.

I cant tell you where the discrepancy comes from either, but know that my experience with the sport clutch is not exclusive, it is shared with some others on this website that have reported identical characteristics - and they may/may not choose to chime in if they like. Not sure what else there is to say about it, it was what it was. I don't want to potentially detract from your new current offering in clutches here, so that's all I will say on the matter. Again the new Sport 400 appears to fill a niche many are seeking, so again good on you for offering the new option.

Quick Reply: Want 500 hp and a smooth engaging clutch? We have your solution here!