S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

What Type of turbo for bottom mount that won't hit the bay wall or frame

Old 11-09-2015, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Type of turbo for bottom mount that won't hit the bay wall or frame

Hello everyone
, after trolling around for a while I decided to start piecing together a turbo kit (buying what I could afford while going through a divorce) and not buying cheap junk if at all possible. I've got almost all of my kit together and I'm down to the last few parts. I have the following:

Greddy intercooler and piping
TIAL wastegate with dump tube and bov
AEM EMS with PNP
650 injectors PNP
Wahlbro 255 fuel pump
Cast manifold
Oil filter relocation kit
5 bolt down pipe for bottom mount turbos
Heat shield for battery etc.

I'm basiclly piecing together a greddy kit.

Now here's what my question is...
I want to keep the turbo as a bottom mount. My buddy has 2 t3 turbos he runs on a 240sx that are burnt up. they are eBay specials (imagine that... eBay turbos burnt up) But I tried them both to see about what size I need to order and Neither of them would fit without hitting the side of the engine bay (wouldnt line up to the manifold because the cool side housing was too big around) I havent cheaped out on anything yet and dont want to but I also dont want to play a very pricey game of "guess the turbo size" and a thousand dollar greddy turbo is out of reach for a while with the divorce happening. (now have to buy all new furiture..) so what size or brand can I fit under there without having to break the bank or that i could pick up used, or burnt up that I could rebuild? I refuse to shove some crap under there that I'm guessing as to when its going to fail. Ive watched the 240 guy burn up about 6 of those cheap-o turbos over the last couple years and he could have already bought a good one by now... $150-200 X 6?? do the math.. now this isnt my daily car and I'm in no rush, but ANY advice or experience anyone has I'd love to hear it. This little car is whats keeping me sane at this point...

P.S.- if anyone is interested? no the car isnt at my previous address, thats the first thing I took when I left. it's in no danger as I have signed paperwork saying it isnt part of any deal and she has no rights, or any type of ownership to the car as part of the divorce! My "kid"???? stays with me! lol
Old 11-09-2015, 06:36 AM

What brand of cast manifold do you have?
Old 11-09-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Forgottens2k
P.S.- if anyone is interested? no the car isnt at my previous address, thats the first thing I took when I left. it's in no danger as I have signed paperwork saying it isnt part of any deal and she has no rights, or any type of ownership to the car as part of the divorce! My "kid"???? stays with me! lol
...Interested in what? You can't try selling your car on here unless you're a member if that's what you're after.

Also, not to sound like a dick but I made the same mistakes that you're in the process of making when I started my turbo build. NEVER start a build when you know you're going to be at a shorthand for cash, and don't try custom piecing things together thinking it will save you money because it won't. The issues and problems that you'll run into down the road will end up costing you more time and money than a reputable kit would, and you'd likely end up making more, reliable power with one of those kits.

I had a bottom mount ram horn manifold that I tried using with a 56mm S256 turbo which is considered to be relatively small. Even then, the turbo wasn't even close to fitting. I ended up switching to a Precision 5558 turbo but at that same time I changed to a top mount log manifold so I don't even know if the 5558 would have fit on that bottom mount.

You're going to need something really, really small to fit without hitting the sidewall. Keep in mind that the engine is going to torque under load as well which may slam the turbo into the wall if there's not enough clearance. Even the cheapest turbos you're going to find are still going to be $700+ by the way unless you go with an eBay turbo like your friend did (and no, don't do that).
Old 11-10-2015, 01:01 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance S2K
Originally Posted by Forgottens2k' timestamp='1447061725' post='23798480
...Interested in what? You can't try selling your car on here unless you're a member if that's what you're after.
Actually the only thing you CAN sell as a guest is an S2000. When he said if anyone was interested, it was an update on the divorce and to ensure the S was safe. Several people have had their s/o demand the car in divorce negotiations for purely malicious intent. Simply to take something the other person cares about.

There are only a few turbos that can fit with a bottom mount setup. Details on the specific manifold help. For example, the Revhard can have motor mount clearance issues because it is closer to the block. Inline pro's cast manifold places the turbo farther away from the block, so many turbos will contact the side of the engine compartment. What manifold are you planning to use?
Old 11-10-2015, 03:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can find a steed speed manifold, I know people were running a 6262 on that manifold.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:50 AM

Kangaroo it's a Greddy cast

Chance s2k, dc2 had it right, car is definitely not for sale just figured she'd try to take because she knows I love that car (was waiting on it from her just to be spiteful) also I'm not trying to make a "custom kit" just picked the Greddy and have been buying the pieces I found used that are the same as the kit comes with.

The reason I wanted to run a bottom mount was to stay away from relocating different things and to keep it away from the battery etc.
how is the top mount manifold? Any reports of melted batteries etc? I don't mind to go a different route as what I have right now is the basics all kits come with. I could easily sell the maifold and downpipe and just go a different route with the turbo, manifold, and weld up my own down pipe.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:54 AM

Redline S2k I'll keep an eye out for a speed steed. Never heard of those. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "broke" but 5k for a turbo kit at this point? Is a little out of range plus I have all the other stuff I bought already
Old 11-10-2015, 06:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't plan on big number or upgrading then stick with building the greddy kit. But if you plan on making more power later on, the Greddy is a dead end or uphill fight at the least.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it the original Greddy manifold? They're well known to crack. More importantly though, what are your END goals? 650's might (probably) not be enough injector and a 255 might not be enough either.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:27 PM

Not trying to go anything crazy on power 300 maybe a little more 325? but that's about it. Just wanting a little more out of it, but not building a race car by any means. And I also heard the Greddy manifolds were bad to crack....

Quick Reply: What Type of turbo for bottom mount that won't hit the bay wall or frame