S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Whipple Supercharger S2000 Kit

Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Most positive displacement superchargers have an air-to-water intercooler between the intake and compressor. Precision Turbo specs air-to-water intercoolers for their higher output applications.

Sprintex uses Lamanova tubes for its intercooler. But it seems larger for a smaller compressor.

The twin screw compressor is generally the most efficient, although Eaton has been closing the gap on its latest Roots compressors and Garrett claims high efficiency in some of their latest turbocharger compressors. The higher efficiency reduces the amount of heat generated.

Whipple generally makes superchargers for bigger engines...the 1.5L (or is it 1.6L) may be their smallest. Sprintex makes twin screw superchargers for some smaller engines including the FT86 and may be a good reference point. The F20/F22/K20/K24 is a MUCH better engine than the FA20 in the FT86. Sprintex specs race gas (or I imagine lower compression) for 16 to 22 psi of boost with their 1.5L on a 2L engine. For the 1L compressor they spec 8 to 12 psi of boost.

Net...if this works ok, it should be the best FI for most street and road racing S2000s. Maybe with an intake manifold mod for KMiatas also.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The notion that an air to water intercooler is less efficient than an air to air intercooler is false. They are more efficient and have almost no pressure drop. The the air to water intercooler is sized for over 500whp so it is plenty big without adding water/meth injection. Also long water lines are no issue, they are actually beneficial. The larger the volume of water in the a2w system the better the cooling that can be done.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interested! The teaser pic doesn't seem to do any justice though, the flange is as thin as paper and the blower is being held on by hardware you can find at Lowes.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by JSanford2032
The notion that an air to water intercooler is less efficient than an air to air intercooler is false. They are more efficient and have almost no pressure drop. The the air to water intercooler is sized for over 500whp so it is plenty big without adding water/meth injection. Also long water lines are no issue, they are actually beneficial. The larger the volume of water in the a2w system the better the cooling that can be done.
I know they are more efficient at flow generally over an fmic, ive got one on my centrifugal supercharger. But this design/configuration remains to be seen as far as where that efficiency lays with a charger that produces more heat then a centrifugal and its ability to keep it in check. The water/meth injection would be bennifical no matter where you end up on the scale of efficiency with this system. Looking forwardnto seeing the final iteration and testing of this thing

Last edited by s2000Junky; 12-12-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:51 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I know they are more efficient at flow generally over an FMII'veive got one on my centrifugal supercharger. But this design/configuration remains to be seen as far as where that efficiency lays with a charger that produces more heat then a centrifugal and its ability to keep it in check. The water/meth injection would be bennifical no matter where you end up on the scale of efficiency with this system. Looking forward to seeing the final iteration and testing of this thing ������
Doesn't Vortech own Lysholm, named after the inventor of the twin-screw supercharger and that Lysholm supplies Whipple? Vortech takes care to attack Roots-type but not twin-screw. Even there, Eaton has made huge advances in Roots efficiency. I don't think there are any fully comparable compressor maps.

One thing missing in the picture: where is the air inlet?

This is the LYS 1600AX

Old 12-17-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The difference in heat at equal boost levels and constant speed is very small when comparing the latest TVS, Whipple, and centrifugal superchargers if they're close to the center efficiency islands of their performance maps. One big difference is that a centrifugal only produces full boost at redline. A Whipple or roots can produce full boost not too far off of idle. This means they're putting dramatically more heat into the engine and cooling system just because they're making much more boost on average than a centrifugal.

The TVS superchargers are very efficient - they're much closer to a screw compressor than the roots blowers of old days, particularly at the relatively low boost levels most cars run. I have no doubt that for many operating points, they're more efficient than either the Whipple or the centrifugal. It's likely that under full boost, the Whipple is a bit more efficient than the TVS. The centrifugal should be the most efficient, but this is only true over a very narrow RPM and pressure ratio band. If you look over the entire operating range of the engine, one of the two PD options would be more efficient.

Note that I am speaking in rough generalities above, rather than from detailed analysis of the compressor maps for each type for a very specific application. I actually have cars with a Whipple, a TVS, and turbos on my cars, and work for a compressor manufacturer that makes roots blowers (old school, straight lobe), hybrid blowers (think TVS), screw compressors, and centrifugal blowers. Each technology has a place where it fits well.

Tim
Old 12-17-2018, 11:02 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Given the rpm range and efficiency of the f20/f22, in the past with small turbos like the greddy kit and SOT roots blowers, they delivered a nice bump in the low/mid range where the engine is lacking, but started becoming a choke point when the engine would get into its efficiency range and those systems would have to work overtime to push enough cfm to deliver mediocre peak power at anything much north of 300whp with high IAT and EGT challenges. Again, i'm interested to see where this blower falls into place regarding this. If it can deliver a substantial low/mid range trq curve over a centrifugal while matching a centrifugal on the top end 450+ whp, it will be a winner. I assume that's the goal/motivation for this blower choice, but I haven't seen the compressor maps/know enough about it to know if that's realistic or not. New territory mating to this engine.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Offer a warranty and i'll be your first customer.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There will be a lifetime warranty on all welds and the supercharger comes with a 1 year warranty (does not cover damage from detonation or engine failure).
Old 12-18-2018, 03:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Surely the intake temps will be very high? Now the aftercooler has to cool the engine down too.

Nothing compares to a Turbo with a large air to air front mount and the intoxicating noises it makes.

Quick Reply: Whipple Supercharger S2000 Kit