S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Wiseco Pistons P2W clearance

Old 04-25-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiseco Pistons P2W clearance

Hi there

After some extensive research about the P2W clearance on wiseco pistons , I want to ask what clearance do you usually use for turbo aplications to 700 whp? I will use a BW EFR 8374 and my car will be a street / Track car.

After some reading I can get a conclusion that 0.004 to 0.0045 is used in that power range. wiseco recomend 0.003, a lot tight for FI.

But I have read that the armor glide skirt coating is like 0.0005 tickness and after breakin the P2W clearance would be 0.0005 bigger. In the wiseco site it says that this coating is an anti friction coating and will not wear off.

Anyone with experience with this pistons can shime on this topic?
Tanks
Old 04-25-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get the hone plateau"d and run .0035". I believe that's what Wiseco actually recommends as well.

I had a engine builder that index"s his customer's well below the 10 sec mark build my high comp H with intentions to forced induction down the road. I used wiseco"s forged 11.5:1 pistons and that's what he built to spec.

You'll hear contradicting info because different mfg. Have different metallurgy "recipes" something about silicone content etc. And also it should be considered on street/track strict track and if you have resources to re build time intervals.

You'll be pretty covered to if u wanna consider the "break-in" as well, putting u right at the .0040" mark. Wiseco does recommend tight! I feel ya and ur considerations on the local feedback that is available on the web. That's why I think 35 is a safer Lea way, and I could reason with his judgment.
I was gonna use JRSC but with a twin screw planned and at that cr. I think it's safe to say it was gonna see some heat.

Last edited by MorngWoodStewie; 04-25-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:34 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

The Wiseco recommend 1mm headgasket shame as I have already have a OEM headgasket to use,also Comp Height of the piston is 28.98mm<OE 30mm>
any issues Stewie ?
Wanted to use Wiseco 11.1 CR <F20C 2.0L><2.2L11.5:1>
Old 04-26-2017, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
Get the hone plateau"d and run .0035". I believe that's what Wiseco actually recommends as well.

I had a engine builder that index"s his customer's well below the 10 sec mark build my high comp H with intentions to forced induction down the road. I used wiseco"s forged 11.5:1 pistons and that's what he built to spec.

You'll hear contradicting info because different mfg. Have different metallurgy "recipes" something about silicone content etc. And also it should be considered on street/track strict track and if you have resources to re build time intervals.

You'll be pretty covered to if u wanna consider the "break-in" as well, putting u right at the .0040" mark. Wiseco does recommend tight! I feel ya and ur considerations on the local feedback that is available on the web. That's why I think 35 is a safer Lea way, and I could reason with his judgment.
I was gonna use JRSC but with a twin screw planned and at that cr. I think it's safe to say it was gonna see some heat.
But are you NA or FI?
I will be FI. my pistons kit are K632M87. they are 9.0 CR for f22. and i will use Darton MID sleeves.

They are a turbo pistons, juddging by the format . and they are 2618 alloy, so they expande more than the high silicon 4032 alloy

So what are the drawbacks from running a bit more clearance than 0.004 P2w clearance? assuming the rings are gapped correct of course, even if i have to order a custom rings because of the extra clearance.

I just dont want piston skirt contact with the sleeve, ruining all the engine

Tanks
Old 05-15-2017, 02:47 PM

Noodels I would recommend finding piston height above deck manually with micrometer and then add in hg, this would only be a serious concern though if your bored and head wasn't matched. Don't bore over a mil tho. And not do the head. I know it's called something but drawing a blank right now. As long as you have clearance and. Then on top adding a hg you would be good. Need more info to go farther In Depth tho. Not sure what ur trying to accomplish.

poizon I just swapped head on that hi comp and I would go by there recommendation on p2w, give a good break in and run it. The bores seem fine, no scuffing, I can still see the hone. Looks fresh at 10k! But the Pistons are rocking in bore. It's HD iron ductile sleeves (GE sleeved). I think the Pistons hardened and shrunk actually of some sort. It was built at .0035" and they all rock. I find it hard to believe the bores are ovalled at 10k so just my .02 take it or leave it. Wiseco has been making Pistons a long time. This is just my own opinion from inspection after tear down.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:05 PM

The drawbacks are piston slap, pre mature failure, scuffing, excessive oil blow by, ring failure.

I wasn't aware the alloys are different between the Pistons but I would still heed there recommendation

I could dig up the old part #'s lata to for ya.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
Noodels I would recommend finding piston height above deck manually with micrometer and then add in hg, this would only be a serious concern though if your bored and head wasn't matched. Don't bore over a mil tho. And not do the head. I know it's called something but drawing a blank right now. As long as you have clearance and. Then on top adding a hg you would be good. Need more info to go farther In Depth tho. Not sure what ur trying to accomplish.

poizon I just swapped head on that hi comp and I would go by there recommendation on p2w, give a good break in and run it. The bores seem fine, no scuffing, I can still see the hone. Looks fresh at 10k! But the Pistons are rocking in bore. It's HD iron ductile sleeves (GE sleeved). I think the Pistons hardened and shrunk actually of some sort. It was built at .0035" and they all rock. I find it hard to believe the bores are ovalled at 10k so just my .02 take it or leave it. Wiseco has been making Pistons a long time. This is just my own opinion from inspection after tear down.
but are you NA? if NA its normal, you dont reach temps like turbo. the thing is everyone that put 0.0035 ends with scuffing walls in turbocharged engines.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have built several turbo hondas over the past 17 years. I wouldn't go with .0035 on weiscos if you looking for 700 whp. .0040-.0050 is the norm for street driven motors.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM

I went with 0.0042 and considering that piston coating is 0.0005 each side of skirt if it start to contact with wall will wear till 0.0052. Let's see if it will work. Now apart from ring gap what do you usually use for this kind of power?
Old 07-24-2017, 01:48 PM

I went with 0.0042. And considering that the coating of the skirts are 0.0005 each side if it start to touch it will wear down to 0.0052. Lets see if it will work out. What ring gap are you using with this kind of power?

Quick Reply: Wiseco Pistons P2W clearance