The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

Ballade Sports S2000 Roll Hoop Harness Bar

Old 11-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1446693083' post='23795431
Pertaining to your late addition asking about side protection, no, this would be no more dangerous in a side impact than someone in a car with a roll bar and harnesses, but you shouldn't BE in a car, on the street, wearing a harness and with a roll bar. The harness would not allow you to move laterally, making you more susceptible to serious injury. On the street, you use the OEM safety equipment to keep you safe. On track for HPDE and TT, you use a roll bar and harnesses/hans. W2W, you have a cage with door bars.
Completely agree. Although I have absolutely no issue using the OEM safety equipment on track and either do a large percentage of other people (at least on the west coast). If I was building a car that spent most of it's time on track it would have a roll bar and harnesses/hans.

The only reason I brought it up was to see if there was any compelling reason why a person that met particular criteria couldn't use something like this safely. And so far the only reason that has been given is Ricky Flowers doesn't think the roll hoops could support the load of two shoulder belts in an impact. Having seen multiple times that Ricky Flowers is often not correct in his assumptions, I await further theory or evidence.
It is proven to work one way, and that is with the OEM safety equipment. It is not proven to work in the way in which Ballade is suggesting it will. That alone is enough to not risk it. You have one head, one neck, one spine. You can be the crash dummy if you like, but I would never add something as sketchy and obviously compromised and claim it to be a legitimate safety device. Might as well get an eBay roll bar, because metal is strong and it looks like a hard dog, or a cusco.

I believe the OEM safety equipment is safe enough to run in HPDE, but once you're routinely pushing the limits of your car, like in TT, you probably ought to upgrade to a real roll bar, not these mickey mouse roll hoops. That's an entirely different discussion, though.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
It is proven to work one way, and that is with the OEM safety equipment. It is not proven to work in the way in which Ballade is suggesting it will. That alone is enough to not risk it. You have one head, one neck, one spine. You can be the crash dummy if you like, but I would never add something as sketchy and obviously compromised and claim it to be a legitimate safety device. Might as well get an eBay roll bar, because metal is strong and it looks like a hard dog, or a cusco.

I believe the OEM safety equipment is safe enough to run in HPDE, but once you're routinely pushing the limits of your car, like in TT, you probably ought to upgrade to a real roll bar, not these mickey mouse roll hoops. That's an entirely different discussion, though.
Most aftermarket parts including a majority of roll bars people put in their cars and go to the track with aren't even load tested, let alone tested in-car in an actual accident situation. Anyone with an untested roll bar is a crash test dummy, you were absolutely a crash test dummy with the roll bar you were using on track. The extent of most aftermarket roll bar testing is "look here are some photos of people who acted as crash test dummies for us and they didn't die!" if even that. Along with a notice that you assume and are responsible for all risk using this product as a safety device in your car. Often those photos are from incidents that the windshield frame and rear of the car absorbed all the impact and the roll bar wasn't even contacted.

You (and I and everyone) are assuming something it is or isn't safe based purely on it's design. To me a bar welded between a roll hoop that was designed and tested to support the load of a seat belt and roll over sounds as safe as a shoulder harness mounting point (for a short person that sits well below the hoop with helmet) as some mickey mouse untested bolt-in roll bar from a company that makes roll bars for 5 different cars and can't even be bothered to do some load testing.

But I guess I would also gladly drive and race wheel to wheel in old and incredibly unsafe race cars that make a stock S2000 look like a tank.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1446695722' post='23795456

Most aftermarket parts including a majority of roll bars people put in their cars and go to the track with aren't even load tested, let alone tested in-car in an actual accident situation. Anyone with an untested roll bar is a crash test dummy, you were absolutely a crash test dummy with the roll bar you were using on track. The extent of most aftermarket roll bar testing is "look here are some photos of people who acted as crash test dummies for us and they didn't die!" if even that. Along with a notice that you assume and are responsible for all risk using this product as a safety device in your car. Often those photos are from incidents that the windshield frame and rear of the car absorbed all the impact and the roll bar wasn't even contacted.

You (and I and everyone) are assuming something it is or isn't safe based purely on it's design. To me a bar welded between a roll hoop that was designed and tested to support the load of a seat belt and roll over sounds as safe as a shoulder harness mounting point (for a short person that sits well below the hoop with helmet) as some mickey mouse untested bolt-in roll bar from a company that makes roll bars for 5 different cars and can't even be bothered to do some load testing.

But I guess I would also gladly drive and race wheel to wheel in old and incredibly unsafe race cars that make a stock S2000 look like a tank.
I agree with most everything you say, except for one thing. The Hard Dog roll bar is a quality piece that was made to comply with the safety requirements set forth by SCCA and NASA. It was made to be the safest possible bar that will fit in the car, although there are bars out there that are overbuilt that are theoretically safer. The Hard dog has been proven to work, and does so because it was designed by people who know what they're doing.

I simply don't understand why you'd compromise your safety with this shit. If you want to run harnesses on track, fine, but do it with a roll bar and a harness bar, not some stopgap bullshit that is, let's be honest, designed for the show car crowd.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Added to the original post:

"We are excited to introduce our new interpretation of the OEM roll hoops with the added ability to utilize a 4-6 point harness while utilizing Honda's tried and true safety. The harness mounting points meet within specified shoulder harness angle parameters, while retaining the factory 3 point OEM seat belt for street use along with keeping all factory interior intact. We highly recommend the usage of a HANS or other head and neck restraints when using a non factory 4-6 point harness for your safety. "

Please take into consideration. In a street car, the factory 3-point seat belt along with a functioning airbag is always recommended. However for drivers looking to add a harness to prevent submarining under braking or further safety during track use, we can now offer that solution. Please do your due diligence of researching and preparing how to run harnesses and other safety equipment properly. When using the harnesses with our harness bar, or any roll bar at that, we can not stress how important a HANS/HNRS along with a halo full containment seat can be towards your safety.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Pertaining to your late addition asking about side protection, no, this would be no more dangerous in a side impact than someone in a car with a roll bar and harnesses, but you shouldn't BE in a car, on the street, wearing a harness and with a roll bar. The harness would not allow you to move laterally, making you more susceptible to serious injury. On the street, you use the OEM safety equipment to keep you safe. On track for HPDE and TT, you use a roll bar and harnesses/hans. W2W, you have a cage with door bars.

By no means are we recommending the use of a harness on a street. As stated above what we are offering is a solution to those looking to add a harness for whichever application they choose, may it be show, HPDE, etc WHILE maintaining the factory stock 3-point seat belt. To install our roll hoop, it is not necessary by any means to remove neither the seat belt nor the factory air bag which is one point we can agree on in terms of street use safety. To further answer your question regarding which organization would allow this, many HPDE organizers allow the OEM roll hoops, along with stock safety, which again we are not taking away from. For those looking to do W2W, NASA, SCCA, sanctioning bodies that require specific safety regulations (cage, seat, HANS, fire suppressant, nomex, etc) the driver should be able to do their own diligence and prepare the car accordingly to the application they wish.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

I think most ppl are at risk submarine-ing because they run an ignorant racing seat on the street with the factory 3 pnt. At least with this they can run a 6 pnt harness with their ignorant racing seat and not end up a bag of bones in the pedal box. Front end collision is more common than roll overs. The typical roll bar is considered too far for a lot of S owners because of all the modifications to the plastics and cutting the wheel wells. This is no worse than any harness bar offered for any/all gt cars out there.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dead Serious
I think most ppl are at risk submarine-ing because they run an ignorant racing seat on the street with the factory 3 pnt. At least with this they can run a 6 pnt harness with their ignorant racing seat and not end up a bag of bones in the pedal box. Front end collision is more common than roll overs. The typical roll bar is considered too far for a lot of S owners because of all the modifications to the plastics and cutting the wheel wells. This is no worse than any harness bar offered for any/all gt cars out there.
You get the point. One problem we encounter is that many S2000 owners desire to install bucket seats along with a harness, however that option is only available if all safety components are properly done at once (key word properly). Which includes and is not limited to: seat, harness, wheel and roll bar, in which most cases require removal of stock interior along with necessitating a aftermarket bulk head bar in order to retain the factory seat belts as well. Our product allows for a harness while keeping the factory 3 point seat belt all in one. Our goal towards introducing the roll hoop harness bar was a solution to fill that gap for our fellow S2000 owners.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Recent install Photo

Name:  Untitled_zpstylvim5q.png
Views: 3676
Size:  588.9 KB
Old 02-05-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor