The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

Introducing Ballade Sports Timing Chain Gear

Old 05-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Introducing Ballade Sports Timing Chain Gear

Ballade Sports S2000 Timing Chain Gear is the latest in Honda S2000 technology advancement. We at Ballade Sports have addressed a cam and crank sync error in the beloved F20C /F22C S2000 motor. Because of a clockwise rotating engine assembly, the F20c/F22c motors experience Cam and Crank synchronization error due to chain guide wear and timing chain stretch. This usually happens within its first 10,000 road miles of road use. Unfortunately Honda was unable to foresee this problem in initial development and positioned the Timing Chain Tensioner (TCT) on the opposite side of the timing chain where it is unable to alleviate the additional slack in the timing chain. Notice in the description photos Perfect TDC on the Cam timing scribes will always leave the Crank position pulley off by 2-3 degrees at the bottom. Or in opposite with the crank pulley in Perfect TDC position will inevitably leave the Cam timing scribes uneven at an angle to each other instead of leveling straight.

Ballade Sports Timing Chain Gear optimizes the cam and crank synchronization by correcting the chain slack in the engine rotation with this newly improved drive gear. This simultaneously adjusts both Intake Camshaft and Exhaust Camshaft without the use of expensive Adjustable Cam Gears/Pulleys.

Benefits:

3 Wheel Horsepower Increase.

Optimized Fuel Efficiency and MPG.

NO ECU Tuning Required!! That's right folks install it and forget it.

Extreme durability, heat treated to factory specification hardness.

Cam & Crank synchronization, Timing Scribes on the Cam Gears, Drive Gear and Crank Pulley will line up near perfectly.

Stock ECU & Stand Alone ECU compatible.

Prolongs Timing Chain and Guide replacement maintenance.

Ease of installation for experienced mechanics.

Direct fit replacement for all year model S2000

Old 05-17-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice piece as usual guys.

This is meant as no disrespect because I fully plan on buying some things off you of my engine build but, (in my opinion) Ouch at the price for this piece.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor

^To each his own Some people pay $1000 for intake system that makes them nothing for whp. This is meant to make power and correct the engine problems. Some $1500 cam shafts don't even make the power our gear makes, so $100 per 1whp we think is a good bang for the buck. However....please see below 6-10whp is amazing!!! Thanks jmccartney285!!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jmccartney285
Utah,

I certainly appreciate your mediation of the issue and would never take offense to something as benign as an explanation. However, I see no potential harm in expressing my observations. In most, if not all cases, more knowledge is usually better than less knowledge. People can derive from it what they may, and I am certainly welcome to replicating this information in other venues if they might also and more appropriately benefit.

Anyway.

I went over to my boys Doug and George at Power Pros Friend Them On Facebook to have them install and test out this timing correction "sprocket" on their DynoJet. My car is an AP1 with 170,xxx miles, compression across all cylinders are around 220 psi, and I have a Berk Hi-Flow cat and Berk 3" cat-back exhaust.

I performed 3 baseline pulls. One reading of 207whp and two readings of 209whp. All of the mentioned figures were SAE corrected.

Then we got to the install. I am mechanically useless beyond changing oil and spark plugs, so George made it look easy.

The culprit:

It is pretty clear to see that the timing scribes are markedly misaligned. I realize that the teeth alignment might even be the most important factor, but for now I am only focused on the scribes, as that seems to be what Ballade has based their modification off of:

A little blurry, but you can clearly see that the right scribe is distictly elevated:

I'd say the install itself took 40 minutes from start to finish.

The results. You can clearly make out that the scribes are now level with each other with the Ballade sprocket installed. Frankly, I was very surprised how perfect they lined up:

The alignment on the crank also matches up perfectly, although the angle and picture quality aren't perfect:

Throw it all back together:

Back to the dyno for three more pulls:

Based on these results, with the timing sprocket installed, my engine made between 6 and 10 additional whp when taking in to account the combinations of the highest and lowest readings. The timing sprocket was the ONLY variable. The car sat for equal amounts of time between pulls so that heat soak would not be a factor.

There was no funny business or trickery or fuel additives or manipulation of any sort beyond switching out the Ballade timing sprocket.
I am personally not overly concerned with the engineering behind it. I understand in basic principle what it was designed to do. And whether that is based on false principles is slightly irrelevant, because in the end it seems to make indisputable power increases.

I just ask that everyone openly consider these results and factor them into their perspectives.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would new engines benefit from this as well (say less than 30k)? or necessary on engines with higher miles like 100k+?
Old 05-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by caleb2483

would new engines benefit from this as well (say less than 30k)? or necessary on engines with higher miles like 100k+?
Yes in fact the Dyno graph gaining 3whp we posted is my personal silverstone Ap2 with only 15k miles on the motor.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Did I Miss the cost of this somewhere?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Wow 6-10HP is pretty impressive across the entire power band.

Thanks to the member who did the thorough testing with multiple dyno pulls for before and after.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Our unit cost lists for $299.99. Here is a direct link to our website item. Thank you

http://www.balladesports.com/product...orrection-gear
Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine installed yesterday. Figured since he was somewhat near the general vicinity (replacing my tct) may as well try it too. Thanks Alex!

Alligned, I should of taken a before pic. It was off by a few degrees.

The new gear. Kept my old one, going to wear it around my neck.

installed

Originally Posted by BalladeSports
Originally Posted by //steve\\' timestamp='1401480740' post='23182962
Our unit cost lists for $299.99. Here is a direct link to our website item. Thank you

http://www.balladesports.com/product...orrection-gear

Quick Reply: Introducing Ballade Sports Timing Chain Gear