The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

My car, Over the past 4 months....

Old 05-17-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car, Over the past 4 months....

Ok so about 4 months ago I was driving pretty spirited on the highway late at night. I was shifting from 5th to 6th gear and after I got it on 6th I got on the gas again and the car went no faster. I checked my oil pressure gauge and it was in the normal range, So I let off and got off of an exit and upon slowing down I heard the last thing I wanted to hear that night...Knocking. The cause of the problem is believed to be a fuel injector got clogged for the number 1 cyl. which led to the piston melting. The tip of the spark plug was melted off. The valves were pretty gross looking over that cylinder on the head. So after a few long days I eventually got the motor out using only hand tools and a pair of jackstands. I rented a engine hoist of course, But I estimated total it only took about 9 hours to get the motor and trans out, Which isnt bad for doing this is a driveway with no lift and no air tools, It was my first time pulling a s2000 motor out so I had guidance from a buddy of mine who helped me out alot. I wound up taking the damaged block (nikasil was heavily worn off of that cylinder wall) to Justice racing engines located in Frederick maryland (www.justiceracingengines.com) and got the block bored, honed and sleeved. I bought carrillo rods and got a custom set of Cp pistons made. While I was waiting on the block (which took about a month or two, it was the start of the racing season and the shop was backed up) I got new seats and seals and got a valve job done on the head. I got it jet washed and got it cleaned up very nicely. I got the intake manifold powdercoated black just to be a little different. Got a gold ap2 plug cover and got a buddy of mine who is the head painter for a big honda dealership[ around my way to do the valve cover in spoon yellow. It looks pretty good and I cant wait to get it back on the road, It kills me just letting it sit when its perfect top down weather right now. The compression has been bumped just a tiny bit as has the displacement, I would have gotten a little crazy and done a more serious all motor setup but I cant afford a standalone right now, Nor the money to pay someone to dyno tune it. But either way it will be a little faster than stock now and not to mention, Its going to have zero miles on it. Compared to the 87k that were on it when she quit. I got a new master and slave cylinder as well because my master cylinder was starting to leak a tiny bit and the slave cylinder was trashed. Here are a few pics showing the progress of this whole situation.

And now for the more recent shots of the newly sleeved block and other goodies.

I will update this thread with pics of the actual engine assembley as soon as I get started, Hopefully next week!
Old 05-17-2007, 05:38 PM

cool
Old 05-17-2007, 05:44 PM

Does anyone know if your able to re-use the head bolts or if I need new ones? Isnt there a way to check them to see if they are re-usable?
Old 05-17-2007, 05:56 PM

get new head studs
Old 05-17-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nice build up, can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:05 PM

sucks to hear that happened. good luck with the build.