S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

OEM Hardtop - noise

Old 09-10-2007, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Hardtop - noise

Hey all,

not too sure if this post belongs here but i didn't know where else to put it. Ive had the hardtop for about 6months or so now and untill recently ive had a few problems with the hardtop making noises. Mainly due to movement of the hardtop.

The noise only comes from the right striker, its best described as a screeching/cracking noise whenever i drive along a bumpy road.

Also another strange thing is the screws that hold the strikers in tend to become loose and fall out! Ive ensured they are screwed on very tightly but its managed to come out twice.

I was wondering if you guys from the states can help me out as there aren't that many hardtop owners down here in Aus.

Any help would be great! thanks!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:56 AM

hey man i drive with my hard top on all the time. You need to keep the screws that hold in the striker tight. Next time you tightnen them use lock tight. Also you have to keep the seals that go around the frame of the hardtop greased. I do this like once every two months and it make a world of difference. I had the same problem you were having and i could not handle all that rattling noise. But once you tighten the screws with lock tight and grease the seal around the hardtop you will see how big of a difference it will make. Let me know the outcome. Sean
Old 09-10-2007, 07:08 AM

Thanks sean, ill give it a try!

does anyone know if you need hardtop strikers? or would the normal ones do the trick? i currently have the normal strikers.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you reffering to the front latches or the rear strikers? If it's the front latches, you may be able to shim them so the top clamps down a little tighter.
I haven't had mine off so not sure exactly but my mind tells me this would be something to try.
You could also buy new latch plates which I think are a little bit more heavy duty than your stock plates.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 PM

The strikers that came with my hardtop look the same as the strikers for my soft top. Mine is a 2002. I've heard that the 2000 and 2001 shft top strikers are smaller than 2002 and latter.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:13 PM

Don't forget the shin-etsu lube for all the seals. It really does help quiet the top down a lot. Just don't forget to wipe down all the excess lube before you drive the car.

Don't let this happen to you
Old 09-10-2007, 07:22 PM

lol eric
Old 09-10-2007, 07:40 PM

Haha this morning I read a post about the grease and a guy warned to wipe off the extra so you dont get any on your shirt. I totally laughed thinking to myself that there is no way anyone would do that. About an hour ago i walk by a mirror at work and BAM, lube stain on my back in the perfect shape of my weather seal.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:23 AM

hahah ill keep that in mind, thanks.

Hey guys i was wondering is it expensive to replace one of the latches/clips on the hardtop? i think one side is becomming loose.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:58 PM

I am having the same problem with the hardtop.
Just wondering what kind of grease you guys use for the rubber seals and what is a striker?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: OEM Hardtop - noise