S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

06+ passenger seat recline

Old 05-29-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
...in what way is that narrower notch related to seatbelt cutout at the bottom of the bracket?
It is not related. They are two separate issues which prevent swapping the <MY06 bracket on MY06+. Unfortunately I don't have the picture to show how the seat belt mount point interfere with the bracket.

Further, what is relationship between seatbelt notch and passenger airbag? (Or maybe there isn't any?)
There isn't any.....? I'm not sure if I implied that in the previous post but that's not what was intended.

How do seatbelt mounts differ, in that '05 doesn't require that notch?
I have never seen an '05 seat removed so I do not know how they differ.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:53 PM

Update.

Dremel to widen the slot for the guide pin.

A close-up of the Dremel area.

The piece removed.

Modded bracket reinstalled onto seat with max reclined.

Passenger seat at max lean recline before mod.

Passenger seat at max lean recline after mod. It can lean a bit further back but this position is the furthest the seat will side forward and the head rest is already bumping the roll-hoop. Mission Accomplished!
The following 2 users liked this post by laziboix:
hybridz0r (05-31-2018), LagunaPearlAP2 (01-22-2019)
Old 05-30-2018, 07:16 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

Nice! You got the exact size to remove correct, as it couldn't recline any further as you are hitting rear wall with seat all the way forward.

Can you measure dimensions of piece you cut out, so we can replicate yout success? How wide is it at widest point?
Old 05-30-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to take photos and sharing your process to the community!
Old 05-30-2018, 06:06 PM

Nice! You got the exact size to remove correct, as it couldn't recline any further as you are hitting rear wall with seat all the way forward.

Can you measure dimensions of piece you cut out, so we can replicate yout success? How wide is it at widest point?
The slot size was just lucky guess and it worked out pretty well. I'll try to get the size and details tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
Thank you for taking the time to take photos and sharing your process to the community!
No problem at all. I've used this site many time with plenty of help from other members' contribution so I am more than happy to contribute what I can.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome job
Old 05-31-2018, 06:22 PM

More details on the mod.

This is why you can't swap MY05 and older recline bracket to MY06+. Notice the mounting point for the seat belt.

Angle view of the seat belt mounting point.

Seat belt screwed in.

For my cut, I cut about 0.4" at the widest point.

Here are the cuts I made with a Dremel tool. I used a Dremel 426 Fiberglass Reinforced Cut-Off Wheels with a 1-1/4" Diameter and .045 Thickness. I had to cut the diameter down to 0.7" diameter to make smaller cuts. Once I remove enough material, I took a flat-head screw driver and pry the piece out.

Good Luck.
The following users liked this post:
eoot (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first I thought I was crazy that my passenger seat wasn't reclining in my new (to me) 08'. Then after I researched that all 06 and up seats had this problem I was freaking out because my wife and I are planning a 3000 mile trip and the thought of not being able to reline and take a rest while the other person drove was freaking me out! Seriously thank you thank you thank you for taking the time to not only experiment on your car for us but share great pictures and diagrams on how to do it. I'm doing this the first day out of winter storage and I'll try to remember to post to say how it went.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:14 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

We recently made a trip of 120 miles on my 05 S2000 and the recline was helpful. 3000 mile trip on an s2000, I would never do it, good luck with that.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if you removed the outer leather to get at the top bolt or not but I didn't. I was able to fit a ratcheting box end wrench up under the leather to access the bolt and it was just enough room for the bolt to come out without damaging the seat. I wish I had taken more pictures of the process but I was just trying to make sure I didn't screw anything up, overall it wasn't too hard. Another tip is to use a very small diameter cutting disk. I ground mine down to about half the diameter and that helped cut the desired shape without doing any extra damage. I gave it a quick coat of paint as well before putting it all together. Can't say thanks enough to laziboix for being brave enough to try it and kind enough to share great pics.

Quick Reply: 06+ passenger seat recline