S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

06+ Seat Options / OEM JDM Seat Fitment

Old 09-23-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 06+ Seat Options / OEM JDM Seat Fitment

Hey all,

I have a 2006 ap2 and I'm in the market for replacement seats. I prefer OEM. As many know, the 06+ have the different passenger rail and have the passenger seatbelt mounted to the seat. I've read about a dozen older threads on s2ki of 06+ owners looking for seat suggestions and what to do about it all but the majority of the information I'm finding is about the weight/SRS sensors. The biggest thread on this topic concluded with the OP still looking for definitive answers for 06+ owners.

I'm currently talking to another member on here who is selling OEM JDM 06+ seats and I'm wondering if I can use these somehow. I'm thinking that since the USDM passenger seat has the seatbelt attached to the passenger seat, will the left seat in the JDM set be the same way? The older ap1/ap2's are able to utilize 06+ seats just by swapping rails.. but does this work the other way?

As an 06 owner, can I purchase any other seats and just swap my rails on?
Does anybody with an 06+ have OEM JDM seats and have made them work?

What are the aftermarket options? I was looking at corbeau rails and seats, or the Buddy Club P1 seats and their rails, but was wondering about where the seatbelt would be mounted for 06+. Corbeau offers 06+ passenger seat rails but I'm unsure if they, or anybody else like buddy club etc. have provisions for the oem seatbelt.

In a nutshell, if you had an 06 up and needed new seats, what are the options? I prefer OEM, and am willing to keep my rails and just replace the butt cushion part and the seat back if I can.

Thanks for any and all help everybody!
Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the guy with the JDM seats also has AP1 rails on the seats so you might be SOL there too. I'm in a similar boat as I have 05 seats for my 07. I'm considering just buying the BYS rails on Nengun. Many people use AP2 seats in AP1s so I don't see why the rails couldn't be interchangeable between AP1/AP2.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the reply man. Yeah he currently has ap1 rails on the JDM seats, but I was really hoping I could just bolt my rails onto his seats and call it a day. It would be nice if I could know for sure if any seats will work with my rails. I'm not as concerned about all those sensors and whatnot as much as I am about the passenger seatbelt mounting and just any solution... lol.

You have 05 seats installed in your 07? Did you just swap out rails or are you looking for a mounting solution as well?
Old 09-23-2015, 09:02 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I think the seat pan on the 06= cars is a little different. So you could put whichever OEM seat into an 06+ but you have to swap the seat pan from your OEM 06+ seat to the new seat. The drivers seat should be universal and just bolt right in or just be a rail swap. The passenger side the floor is different in 06+ and there is some electronic thing bolted to the bottom of that seat as well.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh seriously? That makes my choice a bit easier. I figured I could just swap out the rails.

For the record, I have my driver side bolted in currently and was looking for a solution for the passenger side. I figured I could just remove the rails and use the BYS rails. If that doesn't work I guess I'll be selling my 05 seats and looking for v2 seats
Old 09-23-2015, 12:27 PM

Thanks for all the information you guys, this really helps. Yeah it kinda sucks for 06+ owners, after numerous searches on s2ki and other forums it looks like any 06+ ap2 owner that posts this question rarely gets solid answers.

If i just decide to go aftermarket, do the buddy club and/or corbeau rails have provisions to use the stock passenger seatbelt mount thats on the stock seat? I do not intend to run harnesses so i want to use stock seatbelts.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an 06 and put in a set of DC5R Recaros. It was kind of a frankenstein job. When I got the seats from a friend, they had the AP1 Bride RO rails. Now these would be THE choice rails I would run since they bolt right up to the Recaro and, on the drivers side, it was perfect height and function. The problem is the "wait" for 06+ Bride RO rail is so long that you can basically say they dont make them anymore or did at all. If they do, I havent seen anyone who has actually ordered and received them.

The problem on the passenger side Bride rail was the mounting tabs. As expected, they didnt line up with the holes on the floor pan. So I bought Wedge brackets. The mounting tabs on the Wedge bracket and the floor pan lined up perfectly so I figured I was in business. The wedge bracket mounted to the Recaro (after some creation of mounting points with a drill), but when I put the seat in, it wouldnt sit all the way down. It would teeter. Theres a hump on the passenger side floor pan close to the tranny tunnel that kept the seat from sitting all the way down. So, what I did was have a fabricator cut off the mounting tabs on the Bride rail and weld it to the Wedge bracket. Boom. I just gave myself enough room to barely clear the hump and utilize the slider from the Bride rail to fit on the Wedge bracket.

Now, Im all for FULL functionality. Therefore, I needed the weight sensor to be moved from the stock seat rail to the wedge bracket, but without some ingenuity and the Honda dealer to do the PITA job of recalibrating the weight sensor for the new seat, I wasnt going to get it. Ive seen ONE thread on here where someone put the weight sensor on a set of Buddy Clubs(? I think). Congrats to him because I looked at it and attempted to get that weight sensor bracket off and knew it would require some work I wasnt used to or had the tools for. Ill either get to it in the down season or when I get tired of seeing the light on the dash on all the time. For anyone else, they can just pull the bulb in the dash.

When all was said and done, I had no issues or confusion about where the seatbelt bolts to. The only slight gripe I have is that the drivers side seat is noticeably lower than the passenger side. Not a problem for me. Function first. Just annoying when people point that out trying to talk about flaws on your car.