S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

1320 Performance Header Review/Dyno 2.0

Old 02-17-2016, 06:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
My first thoughts were that the crossover pipes were marketing hype, on the HKS header and this header. Big block muscle car exhaust systems may benefit from such pipes, but I don't see the benefit in having them on a small four cylinder header. Secondly, I'm skeptical about the benefits from the twisting design, it sure looks nice though. I once heard that a bend in an exhaust system is still a restriction even if it is a mandrel bend, so lots of bends in this design. Correct me if I'm wrong Gernby ?.

This header looks real nice, and the price is crazy cheap. The one thing keeping me from trying it is having the cut the heatshield for fitment, my aftermarket heatshield is too expensive to cut up like that. They should have perfected the fitment so you don't have to cut the heatshield.
My guess about the little H-pipes is that they would give the header resonant characteristics that were somewhat like a short 4-1, yet somewhat like a long tube 4-2-1. It could be possible that those harmonics compliment each other in some way, but I would bet against that. Adding the twist in the secondaries increases their length without having to push the flange further away. If the longer secondaries result in better performance, then great. However, the lack of dyno plots makes me believe that the whole thing is based on gimmick marketing.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
Originally Posted by zeroptzero' timestamp='1455676238' post='23882658

My first thoughts were that the crossover pipes were marketing hype, on the HKS header and this header. Big block muscle car exhaust systems may benefit from such pipes, but I don't see the benefit in having them on a small four cylinder header. Secondly, I'm skeptical about the benefits from the twisting design, it sure looks nice though. I once heard that a bend in an exhaust system is still a restriction even if it is a mandrel bend, so lots of bends in this design. Correct me if I'm wrong Gernby ?.

This header looks real nice, and the price is crazy cheap. The one thing keeping me from trying it is having the cut the heatshield for fitment, my aftermarket heatshield is too expensive to cut up like that. They should have perfected the fitment so you don't have to cut the heatshield.
My guess about the little H-pipes is that they would give the header resonant characteristics that were somewhat like a short 4-1, yet somewhat like a long tube 4-2-1. It could be possible that those harmonics compliment each other in some way, but I would bet against that. Adding the twist in the secondaries increases their length without having to push the flange further away. If the longer secondaries result in better performance, then great. However, the lack of dyno plots makes me believe that the whole thing is based on gimmick marketing.
This is based on the HKS header. This is the only info I've found on the HKS header

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produc...haust/db/14126

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...-INTAKEEXHAUST

Name:  cb35ae4655a467f973552bbb2603d779_zpsw6uau38g.jpg
Views: 4877
Size:  164.5 KB

Name:  562e7f4099f43e97385ea2dc6ee6906e_zps2qco5ho1.jpg
Views: 4396
Size:  161.7 KB
Old 02-17-2016, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by arsenal
Originally Posted by killerbee_vr6
Before and after on the same day or it's worthless info
Lol. Unless there's a huge weather change I think he'll be okay
Plus they have correction factors for temp, baro, humidity, etc...
Old 02-17-2016, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering about this header too. Does it sound different by any chance?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to imagine this is any more efficient than J's Racing / PLM or even OEM...but only time will tell on the dyne.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:29 PM

Looks like there's an opening for dyno next week
Old 02-24-2016, 04:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I am interested to see the results as well!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:19 AM

well we are supposed to get like a foot of snow today so dyno will have to wait. I don't want all that road salt to get on my car. Hopefully this will be the last snowstorm of the season
Old 02-24-2016, 06:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham8urger
well we are supposed to get like a foot of snow today so dyno will have to wait. I don't want all that road salt to get on my car. Hopefully this will be the last snowstorm of the season
wasn't 1320 also going to do some dyno testing? obviously we'd need independent tests like yours anyway but it boggles the mind that 1320 would produce this header and then just leave it to customers to buy and then test for gains.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by snitm
Originally Posted by Ham8urger' timestamp='1456327142' post='23889638
wasn't 1320 also going to do some dyno testing? obviously we'd need independent tests like yours anyway but it boggles the mind that 1320 would produce this header and then just leave it to customers to buy and then test for gains.
Yeah I emailed the guy at 1320 last night about them doing a dyno test and he told me that they just did one a couple days ago. He told me that the header made 5 whp/ 5 wtq with a stock cat and no tuning. I hope this is truth! I asked him if he has a dyno plot/sheet he could share with me. Now waiting for his response.

Quick Reply: 1320 Performance Header Review/Dyno 2.0