S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

2018 is the year I finally spend $$$ on my S2000

Old 01-04-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kami Speed
What a great year to start modding you car man. I can help ya!

For wheels, have you looked into the Enkei NT03RR wheels? They just released and they make a 17x8.0 +48 Flat Face front and 17x9.0 +45 Concave Face rear. This setup will require some fender work but not as much as the spec you listed. I recommend 225/45 Front and 245/40 Rears for tires.

HKS Hi-Powe dual is one of the best sounding exhausts for the S2000. That is subjective of course, but a lot of users, especially on this forum can attest to that. Also the build quality and finish is great since coming from HKS.
Hey mate!
That is a bloody good option with the NT03RR you've opened up for me! I never thought to check the available sizing on the RRs.
Front flat and rear concave is actually ideal for the looks I am going for.
And minimising fender work will be a great benefit. Though, I'm still lusting after 18"wheels.
What's you opinion on the NT03RR w/ 18x8 +42 and 18x9 +45? You reckon these would be an easier fit than the lower available offsets of +38 and +40 on the NT03+Ms?

Currently getting a price for the NT03s and the HKS dual exhaust from some shops here in NZ.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by THMotorsports
If you don't want to roll or pull, I'd suggest a 17x9 +60 or higher offset. You can fit this all around on stock fenders. The square setup also gives you the ability to rotate tires and prolong life.

As for a drop, be cautious as many low end coilovers or just springs are actually detrimental to the handling and ride of the vehicle. If your stock shocks are in good shape (low mile) something like the Swift springs or the AST springs will give a small drop and a modest bump in spring rate that are still within the shock's ability to critically damp them. Konis are great since they have adjustable rebound, though the compression force is quite low, this can make the car feel a bit wallowy or slow in transition if you do a lot of slaloms in autocross. Coilovers will run you a fair bit more for anything decent, again, be careful as many low end dampers will negatively impact the performance of your vehicle.

HKS is definitely one of the best sounding exhausts, but it's heavy, and gains are marginal at best. It tends to be fairly quiet, even with a test pipe. We have seen some issues with cracking or blowing the packing out of the resonators. It's too bad, i used to really like them.

I'm a big fan of the Tanabe Medallion Touring.
Hey! Thanks for the advice.
With regards to wheel size, a +60 offset isn't available on the Enkei NT03s unfortunately. I think a limited amount of fender work will be acceptable to be able to get the wheels I want.
As for the suspension, going from 16"to 18"wheel size would require me to drop the car (not sure by how much). I would like to keep the drop to a minimum.
Just cutting the stock springs would not be ideal right?
But would changing just the springs be an option? Or should I just look at coil-overs?
Regards
Adi
Old 01-04-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by adut015
Hey! Thanks for the advice.
With regards to wheel size, a +60 offset isn't available on the Enkei NT03s unfortunately. I think a limited amount of fender work will be acceptable to be able to get the wheels I want.
As for the suspension, going from 16"to 18"wheel size would require me to drop the car (not sure by how much). I would like to keep the drop to a minimum.
Just cutting the stock springs would not be ideal right?
But would changing just the springs be an option? Or should I just look at coil-overs?
Regards
Adi
THmotorsports gave you some solid advice.

I'm all for 18" wheels. I think it fits the s2k wheel well perfectly. You need note that if your wheels widen your stance, you need to up the spring rate or you with get the "riding like a boat" effect. If you go the coil over route,which I would def. recommend, koni yellow are on the cheaper end but a SOLID choice.

Oh, and to add to your exhaust question. I run a Q300. That exhaust is bearable if you keep your cat. With a testpipe that exhaust(in my opinion) is ungodly loud. Made me embarrassed to get the car up higher in the rpm

Last edited by Charper732; 01-04-2018 at 06:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
adut015 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:33 AM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey mate!
That is a bloody good option with the NT03RR you've opened up for me! I never thought to check the available sizing on the RRs.
Front flat and rear concave is actually ideal for the looks I am going for.
And minimising fender work will be a great benefit. Though, I'm still lusting after 18"wheels.
What's you opinion on the NT03RR w/ 18x8 +42 and 18x9 +45? You reckon these would be an easier fit than the lower available offsets of +38 and +40 on the NT03+Ms?

Currently getting a price for the NT03s and the HKS dual exhaust from some shops here in NZ.
The NT03RR specs are less aggressive yes. So technically would be an easier fit but not by much. You will still need to roll fenders and such to get them to fit without any rubbing.
adut015 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Charper732
THmotorsports gave you some solid advice.

I'm all for 18" wheels. I think it fits the s2k wheel well perfectly. You need note that if your wheels widen your stance, you need to up the spring rate or you with get the "riding like a boat" effect. If you go the coil over route,which I would def. recommend, koni yellow are on the cheaper end but a SOLID choice.

Oh, and to add to your exhaust question. I run a Q300. That exhaust is bearable if you keep your cat. With a testpipe that exhaust(in my opinion) is ungodly loud. Made me embarrassed to get the car up higher in the rpm
Hey man, thanks for the advice.
Do you have any advice on which route to take? Aftermarket springs only or should I seriously consider a proper set of coilovers?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:39 PM

Hey everyone.
So I've finally sourced a company that can source and deliver the NT03s and the HKS exhaust. I've attached a copy of the quotation for info.

I think, I have come to terms with the NT03+m in the 18"spec and will get the guards rolled.

As for the exhaust, does anyone know the difference between the HKS Hi-Power and the Hi-Power spec L?

Still looking to get some more advice with regards to suspension set up.
Cheers

Old 01-09-2018, 05:40 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

That's an extremely aggressive setup, but lots of folks have already told you that. You'll be spending money getting fitment just right, and you'll probably need to run stretched tires.

As for suspension: Anything but coilovers will make your car look like a rollerskate. You'll need to be at least 45-50mm lower to avoid that look. Your stock shocks aren't suited for a drop that low so just go for coilovers.
adut015 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by CMK
That's an extremely aggressive setup, but lots of folks have already told you that. You'll be spending money getting fitment just right, and you'll probably need to run stretched tires.

As for suspension: Anything but coilovers will make your car look like a rollerskate. You'll need to be at least 45-50mm lower to avoid that look. Your stock shocks aren't suited for a drop that low so just go for coilovers.
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.

I've ordered coilovers as well now. Did some research and decided to go with the Tein Flex Z. People on this forum seem to be generally quite happy with those.

My parts should arrive a few weeks. I will update the forum with the results for anyone interested.

I'll be making many YT videos about my S2K.

If you are keen to check out the videos'i already have, ill post the links below.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:09 PM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Unfortunately I don't have any input on coilovers - I have Eibach springs.

I really like your footage in your vids. Keep up the great work! Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing with the new parts!
adut015 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey everyone.
So I've finally sourced a company that can source and deliver the NT03s and the HKS exhaust. I've attached a copy of the quotation for info.

I think, I have come to terms with the NT03+m in the 18"spec and will get the guards rolled.

As for the exhaust, does anyone know the difference between the HKS Hi-Power and the Hi-Power spec L?

Still looking to get some more advice with regards to suspension set up.
Cheers

I so happend to purchase an s2000 a few months ago and it came with an HKS hi power spec L. As far as I can tell from videos of the original hi power is that the spec L is a a little quieter and has the carbon fiber heat shields on the tips.
​​​​​​
adut015 (04-18-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 is the year I finally spend $$$ on my S2000