S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

3D Printed Front Bumper Brake and Intake Cooling Air Ducts

Old 03-30-2019, 04:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb 3D Printed Front Bumper Brake and Intake Cooling Air Ducts

Hey everyone. I'm a new member from AZ. I bought a 2008 S2000 a few years ago and have recently started planning some track mods. Since I do a lot of hot climate driving and have a lead foot, I'm always looking for mods to cool down my cars.

I want to share what my girlfriend made for me recently. She is a graphic design and 3D modelling pro and I've been gently pressuring her to make me all sorts of 3D printed car parts. I think we might be on to something here and wanted some feedback from the community.

We made a kit to replace the OE fake front bumper vents with functional clip on cooling ducts that you can attach a 2.5" hose to. The hose can then direct cool air at the brake rotors to prevent brake fade during high performance driving. Alternatively, you can hookup the passenger side vent to direct fresh air into the engine air intake. I think the OE airbox is awesome overall but is susceptible to heat soak without some mods. I'm familiar with the popular "Spoon" style snorkel but I'm going to try to hook up my passenger side duct to feed air via the cutout in the engine bay next to the horn.

We've tried to replicate the stock aesthetics by adding the vents. There's also a version with mesh instead of the vents:

A lot more 3D printed goodies to come. This will be my casually updated development thread. I'll post the rest of the brake cooling setup when I have a chance to take the front bumper off and snap some good pics. Let me know your thoughts.

Here's the OE airbox mod. I'll post more details on this later in the thread:

Last edited by VSki; 04-01-2019 at 07:13 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by VSki:
koncha (04-13-2019), lab_rat (09-11-2019), rip_ej1 (04-17-2019), tonyro56 (04-19-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man great idea, I have an AP1 nose, but would be super interested if I upgrade to an AP2. My car is headed for the track, so stuff like this would be cool.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any chance that theres a AP1 version in the works?
Old 03-30-2019, 08:48 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I’m in Phoenix and would be interested in brake ducts for my AP1. Could these be available in the near future?

Regards,
Mark
Old 03-30-2019, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the interest. Yes, we're definitely planning on doing the AP1 version in the near future. However, I'm still testing these parts on my car before they're ready to sell. I'll post more details about the rest of the kit tomorrow. It has been a fun project so far.
The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (09-11-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 09:32 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

You might want to consider mesh instead of vents. The mesh that I used prevents chunks of R-compound rubber on the track from being shot into your brake ducting.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I like these, I'd probably give you money for these. Any photos of how they attach/mount?
Old 03-31-2019, 08:08 AM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

AP1 3D printed brake duct: https://www.facebook.com/pg/momoevol...06903233099356 I have a set of these(might be for sale, with a good offer).

Dry carbon fiber AP1/AP2 brake ducts https://yagi-usa.com/yagi-dry-carbon...front-bumpers/
Old 03-31-2019, 11:16 AM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

if you start selling these and the price is reasonable i may be interested. also curious if you would be willing to sell a left side only. looking to add an intake duct to that side but dont like the look of the ones on the market that require front grill removal
Old 03-31-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by hecash
You might want to consider mesh instead of vents. The mesh that I used prevents chunks of R-compound rubber on the track from being shot into your brake ducting.
That's a great point, thanks. I can definitely see bits of rubber getting stuck in behind the vents there. We're working on a new design that incorporates a mesh too as an option.

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
I like these, I'd probably give you money for these. Any photos of how they attach/mount?
Thanks, we're still refining a few things before we consider selling these anywhere. I'll post more later on how they feed air through the fender liner to the brakes, but here's a pic of one mounted to the inside of the bumper cover. You can get away with a really rough cut out and they'll still attach nicely, without needing adhesive. However, I'm planning on using epoxy adhesive to attach them once we figure out the final design.

Originally Posted by jackmugen02
AP1 3D printed brake duct: https://www.facebook.com/pg/momoevol...06903233099356 I have a set of these(might be for sale, with a good offer).

Dry carbon fiber AP1/AP2 brake ducts https://yagi-usa.com/yagi-dry-carbon...front-bumpers/
Awesome, I haven't seen these yet, thanks for pointing them out.

Originally Posted by outeiroj
if you start selling these and the price is reasonable i may be interested. also curious if you would be willing to sell a left side only. looking to add an intake duct to that side but dont like the look of the ones on the market that require front grill removal
Yeah, this was the original plan. Definitely doing a separate "air intake only" duct kit where you can get individual sides. This will eventually be a modular system where you can configure what individual parts you want and stuff like mesh versus vent grills.

I'll be posting more about the air intake mods soon. I'm interested in doing AZ summer testing here to see how to effectively combat intake heat soak.
The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (09-11-2019)

Quick Reply: 3D Printed Front Bumper Brake and Intake Cooling Air Ducts