S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

3D Printed Parts for S2000

Old 08-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave87
yes it is. If Modifry patented his glovebox organizer and the OP is making direct copies of it, then he (the OP) can be sued by Modifry.
He's not making direct copies (similar is not direct) and not in the business of selling them. I understand the position you're in, but you're reaching a bit too far for something.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
He's not making direct copies (similar is not direct) and not in the business of selling them. I understand the position you're in, but you're reaching a bit too far for something.
Agreed. It's not a direct copy and he's not in the business in making money off any of these.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 1,106 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by b_ron
Agreed. It's not a direct copy and he's not in the business in making money off any of these.
He is selling them.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Actually, his post said he would "share" his design files for those that have a printer. I may be mistaken but I don't think he is selling anything?
Old 08-13-2017, 05:52 PM

He is selling them.
Where does he state he's selling the glove box organizer?

Originally Posted by astroboy84
I thought I'd contribute to the community. I've designed a few parts for my s2000 and figured I'd share them for those who have 3d printers who might want them.

Center Console Organizer (similiar to the modifry one) - I've made multiple revisions of the design to print faster and use less material.

Koni Protector - My spare tire rests on the adjuster for my Koni Yellows. I didn't feel comfortable with this so I've designed a cap which fits snugly over the nuts so the spare tire isn't putting pressure on the valve/adjuster. It also acts as an adjuster itself when you flip it over.

Rays TE37 Center Caps - My TE37s are kind of an odd offset so some caps won't clear my rear axle nut. I've made a flat cap for the front and a modified version to clear the axle nut.

I've printed all of these parts myself and they all fit fine.

Here is a link to my designs: https://www.thingiverse.com/cchu84/designs

I hope that more of the community will continue to design stuff for the s2000. Looking forward to see what everybody else makes. I've designed everything in tinkercad which i found to be the easiest for me as i'm a noob.

I'm also working on a bracket which will utilize a cheaper cup holder than the modifry one. Hoping to keep the cost of a cup holder which fits custom under $5.00

Let me know what you think!
Old 08-13-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

The designs are free to download for anyone, you would think a moderator would at least read the post and check the link before going in attack mode.
Good job Chris, hope you make more designs
Old 08-14-2017, 01:00 AM

Received 1,106 Likes on 987 Posts

"I'm also working on a bracket which will utilize a cheaper cup holder than the modifry one. Hoping to keep the cost of a cup holder which fits custom under $5.00"

I'm pretty sure there is a dollar figure mentioned here.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

"I'm also working on a bracket which will utilize a cheaper cup holder than the modifry one. Hoping to keep the cost of a cup holder which fits custom under $5.00"

It seems like he's referencing the cost of the filament (which he's not selling BTW). He's sharing 3d models, again, not selling anything.

No reason to get so aggressive towards the OP. If you don't understand how the technology works, I'm sure everybody will be willing to answer questions and educate people on exactly what is happening here.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:35 AM

yes it is. If Modifry patented his glovebox organizer and the OP is making direct copies of it, then he (the OP) can be sued by Modifry.

I am pretty sure you said glove box organizer. Either way, there's no IP issue. Even more so with the cup holder as the price is the reference to build.

He doesn't state he's selling them and they're not direct copies.

Why are pushing this when multiple people have stated there's no issue?
Old 08-14-2017, 06:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Zdave, I see your point, even "free" printing models you can download, you're not allowed to make money of them. But the OP never said he's selling these items, he's actually giving these models again along with models he's designing/designed in order to help the community. See his quote below.

Originally Posted by astroboy84
figured I'd share them for those who have 3d printers who might want them.

Quick Reply: 3D Printed Parts for S2000