S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

3D Printed Parts for S2000

Old 08-14-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 1,108 Likes on 988 Posts

And see my quote above.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Last edited by Modifry Products; 08-15-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Last edited by Modifry Products; 08-15-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Modifry Products
Wow, I didn't realize we had so many patent attorneys on the forums.

I am not a patent attorney myself but I have some knowledge and have done a little reading and actually paid for the services of a patent attorney in the past. I am thinking that "selling" is probably not relevant. If I put a "modified" iso file for Microsoft Office on the Internet for people to download for free do you think that's legal? I'm not selling anything, and it's "different", so I'm good, right?

If a suit were filed all that has to be proven is that the patent holder's business was impacted by a product that infringes the patent. Just being "different" does not automatically mean you're not infringing. It depends on how the original patent was written, and that language can narrowly limit the coverage of the patent or it can be wide open. A patent for "an organizing device for a motor vehicle storage compartment" is considerably wider in scope than a patent for "an organizer for the glove box of a Honda S2000 comprised of 5 separate pieces of 1/8" ABS plastic cut and grooved in such a manner as to allow installation without tools or fasteners of any kind". Only an idiot would write the latter, unless patents already exist for every other possible description of a glove box organizer.

As an example, in the past I sold a product called a "Blinker Buddy" even though someone already had a trademark and patent application for "Blinker Buddy". That was perfectly legal because whomever wrote the trademark specifically defined their device for use on motorcycles, so I'm free to use the exact same term for automobiles. If the trademark was written to cover "motor vehicles" instead, I'd be locked out of using that product name. (and no, I didn't stop selling it because of the patent/trademark thing, I decided the product needed a re-design and never managed to finish what I started).

Think about your example on the glove box organizer, and then think about all the other people in the world 3D printing items, then how about Rota produces copies of wheels etc.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Last edited by Modifry Products; 08-15-2017 at 04:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
zdave87 (08-15-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Modifry Products
I don't understand your comment. Are you saying that "prolific" means "legal"?
No. Either way, you can chose to go after the member if you desire, but I am not sure that's in the best interests for the s2ki community, despite the most likely outcome, and probably something which shouldn't be played out on here.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

3D printing opens up a whole new world of product development, and in the DIY hands if they can afford to have the printer. I expect that with any new ground breaking technology like this, people will come out of the wood work to stake claims to what's being produced, right or wrong. Personally Id just keep this stuff to myself, reap the rewards of my 3d printer and avoid the potential hassle if this thread is any indication of how this is going to be.

Too many egos and self righteousness here it seems to want to divulge in the OP's process. Kind of a shame. Would be fantastic to be able to produce or reproduce oem parts for our car at home. At some point this is really going to be one of the few ways any cars of this era will be kept on the road in the future. One or a few ass hats monopolizing the market on this, killing innovation for profit is something I highly despise. But its the America way more times then not it seems.

At the same token, I feel "artist" should have some protection over their ideas and products. But that's a lot different then blocking access to a product or technology which would otherwise be open to the masses.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 08-14-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
3D printing opens up a whole new world of product development, and in the DIY hands if they can afford to have the printer. I expect that with any new ground breaking technology like this, people will come out of the wood work to stake claims to what's being produced, right or wrong. Personally Id just keep this stuff to myself, reap the rewards of my 3d printer and avoid the potential hassle if this thread is any indication of how this is going to be.

Too many egos and self righteousness here it seems to want to divulge in the OP's process. Kind of a shame. Would be fantastic to be able to produce or reproduce oem parts for our car at home. At some point this is really going to be one of the few ways any cars of this era will be kept on the road in the future. One or a few ass hats monopolizing the market on this, killing innovation for profit is something I highly despise. But its the America way more times then not it seems.

At the same token, I feel "artist" should have some protection over their ideas and products. But that's a lot different then blocking access to a product or technology which would otherwise be open to the masses.
Well said
Old 08-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Last edited by Modifry Products; 08-15-2017 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Last edited by Modifry Products; 08-15-2017 at 04:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 3D Printed Parts for S2000