S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

3D Printing Parts

Old 07-21-2018, 04:27 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

None of the filament used in hobby-priced 3D printers holds up to the environment in automobiles. Simple problems like heat will warp parts on a sunny afternoon. (Is the ABS part in the earlier photo holding up?) Parts need to be translated to more robust materials than the typical PLA and ABS filaments these printers use. More resilient materials require specialized (AKA expensive) extruders and the software to handle them. Parts can be prototyped in this level printer and then translated to better materials on better printers with a bit of work. The different materials have different shrinkage rates so much of this is trial and error getting the dimensions right.

Very time consuming printing in 3D too. The simple oil filter wrench linked below takes eight (8) hours to print and even the little, weak battery hold-down takes three (3).

A few very simple S2000 printable objects.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 07-21-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

A buddy of mine (Jason) who does 3D printed stuff recommended Ultrem 1010 for high temp automotive use as it's rated to 217C Tg (glass transition temperature). He can do just about anything 3D printed. Send him an inquiry if you're interested.
XuRacing@gmail.com

The only thing stopping me from deep diving into 3D printed stuff is a lack of ideas of what exactly I want. As soon as I can think of something that's a good application, my buddy can make it.

So, let's hear those ideas! I can't wait to get some 3D printed stuff in my car!
Old 07-21-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
Now that 3D printers are very affordable and lots of people have them, I'm wondering if there are any people here who have designed or printed some parts for the S2000. With 3D printed parts being primarily plastic, that limits the possibilities of course. I'm not very creative so I don't know of much that could be made that's not already available for purchase.

I know that eventually I want to make some center caps for my Enkei PF01 wheels, but that will be a while as I have no experience in designing things. There are some center cap designs on Thingiverse that I may try to modify and see if they will work eventually.
I made my own brake ducts and NACA hood duct.

https://motoiq.com/project-s2000-tes...rack-upgrades/

https://motoiq.com/project-s2000-par...t-air-testing/

Old 07-22-2018, 05:34 AM

How are the ducts holding up?

Lots of center caps on Thingiverse and even the simple slicer furnished with my Qidi Tech I can do scaling. Just have to get the scale right and print 3 more of the same which can be done on the same build plate at the same time. Save the pattern (or print another set of four) to replace these when they crumble and fall off. PLA will print beautifully but won't hold up to a center cap environment very long. ABS is more difficult but should last longer.

-- Chuck
Old 07-22-2018, 06:56 AM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm about to order a set of AP1 brake ducts from
Facebook Post
Old 07-22-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
How are the ducts holding up?

-- Chuck
I put them on and take them off at the track. Have like a dozen track days on them and they are just fine. I have not had any off-track excursions though... I imagine they could be damage if you hit a mound of dirt at high speed or some other hard immovable object.

I made some low-buck versions with aluminum angle and neoprene brake duct hose:
https://motoiq.com/project-s2000-par...brake-ducts/3/
Old 07-22-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
None of the filament used in hobby-priced 3D printers holds up to the environment in automobiles. Simple problems like heat will warp parts on a sunny afternoon. (Is the ABS part in the earlier photo holding up?) Parts need to be translated to more robust materials than the typical PLA and ABS filaments these printers use. More resilient materials require specialized (AKA expensive) extruders and the software to handle them. Parts can be prototyped in this level printer and then translated to better materials on better printers with a bit of work. The different materials have different shrinkage rates so much of this is trial and error getting the dimensions right.

Very time consuming printing in 3D too. The simple oil filter wrench linked below takes eight (8) hours to print and even the little, weak battery hold-down takes three (3).

A few very simple S2000 printable objects.

-- Chuck
​​​​​​This is not true. Not sure why people post such definitive responses based on misinformation. I have had 3D printed parts made from my $300 machines for years. This includes inside the cabin, inside the engine bay, and exterior that is subjected to the elements.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:22 PM

How 'bout based on my personal experience? Sun warped some PLA parts I had just sitting in the car. However the simple 2" square trailer tow filler plug is holding up OK but the printed bolt didn't do well -- may need more fill.

What material are you using?

-- Chuck
Old 07-22-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

PLA, PETG, ABS. I've done it all.

​​​​​​I've done PC, Ultem, Nylon, Aluminum, and much more at work. I'm considered an additive subject matter expert in my field.

There are tricks to do PLA for even in car stuff and it will not warp. ABS is pretty much fine right out of the box.

Sorry to be a little on edge, but this is very much a hobby of user knowledge rather than printer sufficiency. I can print the same quality as the $900k Fortus machines I use at work with even my home built printer.
​​​​​​
Old 07-22-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03
PLA, PETG, ABS. I've done it all.

​​​​​​I've done PC, Ultem, Nylon, Aluminum, and much more at work. I'm considered an additive subject matter expert in my field.

There are tricks to do PLA for even in car stuff and it will not warp. ABS is pretty much fine right out of the box.

Sorry to be a little on edge, but this is very much a hobby of user knowledge rather than printer sufficiency. I can print the same quality as the $900k Fortus machines I use at work with even my home built printer.
​​​​​​
Care to share some tips for a newb like me? What printer do you use?

Quick Reply: 3D Printing Parts