S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

about to buy an exhaust

Old 10-31-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to buy an exhaust

Hey guys

First things first. I've had my S for about 4 months now, and its an 08 base. It's bone stock right now and I'm in the process of planning out what I want to do for upgrades. The challenge right now is picking out the right exhaust. So far after watching many youtube videos and wandering on the forums for the last couple of months, the T1r 70r-em dual exhaust has stood out the most for me. My S is not a daily and gets taken out once every two weeks or so. The biggest issue seems to be drone for most exhausts, and from what I've read the t1r is on the lower end of that spectrum.

Does anyone have any info I may need to know about this exhaust before I make a final decision. Gripes, complaints, alternatives, and positives are welcomed. Thank you
Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picking an exhaust for an s2000 is indeed challenging...i changed my exhaust many times before i figured out which one i wanted to keep.
Youtube videos arent going to help, you need to hear them in person...with stock cat, with HFC, with testpipe.

The t1r70EM dual so far is the only 70mm exhaust that i have been able to tolerate for daily driving.
It still drones sometimes and it can be loud at WOT, but IMO on the lower end of the spectrum (VERY subjective topic).
Being symmetrical dual muffler, thick stainless piping, long and downward oriented tips keeps the noise levels under control given the size of the piping.
The exhaust is heavy and on the expensive side, but i think it's actually worth the price given the performance/noise balance.
I personally like the way it looks, others might hate it.

seriously sit in some cars before you drop 1,000 bucks and regret it.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 PM

Thanks for the post. I'm going in with the mindset of this car as daily driver even though its not. I understand there may be a little drone, buts that's understandable. Would the single version have any advantages over the dual besides weight. I read that singles tend to be louder. Really I want the dual because it retains that factory look.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about j's racing or hks?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also been through many exhausts and heard plenty at meets. If you want an exhaust that has volume , has a nice tone, but doesnt bring the drone - HKS dual Hi-Power. Don't listen to the crap about "its only 60mm and loses power". If you can tell whether you gain or lose 2-5hp with your ass, you're crazy IMO. When buying an exhaust for this car, unless you are SC or turbo, you are only buying it for the sound. Hence - HKS.

Also note that if you want it to be quieter, keep your cat on, minimal drone, easy to live with day to day. if you want a really nice tone, some more volume, put a 63.5mm Berk test pipe with it. still not much drone at all - i've done several 8+ hour road trips and my ears hurt from the sound of the wind (top down). At WOT, it is loud, but thats what most people want: quiet for DD, loud when you want it to be.

My only grip is the exhaust is not stainless steel, so it rusts but that only matters if you live up north with salty winter roads or if you just use it as a dry weather weekend car.

Everyone's taste is relative and my adjectives are subjective. But I will always recommend this set up - i've had it on both of my s2000's and would get it again.

One other note - I bought spare AP2 exhaust tips, cut down the HKS tips and welded the AP2 ones overtop the HKS cans so for the most part it looks stock. Don't have many good pics - it looks like i have a stock exhaust though, so not much imagination is needed there...
Old 11-01-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't care about piping size, the best dual exhaust to get IMO is the mugen. It sounds great, probably the most well behaved sound and tone, it weighs like nothing since it has titanium mufflers (even the stainless part is Very light), plus its JDM/mugen.

If I ever went back to a 60mm exhaust, I will buy a mugen again. I regret selling mine since they are hard to come by, but I didn't have the space.

If you want some extra noise, do the "UK mod" on your stock exhaust.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 PM

Great suggestions so far guys. I have another to add to the list that I'm interested in as well. The Greddy Spectrum Elite dual exhaust seems nice, but hows the drone?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Greddy Spectrum Elite dual exhaust drones

T1R Dual EM drones

Exhaust choice depends on your priorities and budget. If you want as quiet as possible, get a fujitsubo legalis. If you have money to burn on a really nice dual, get a mugen or asm. If you want cheap but sounds good with some drone, get an HKS. LOTS more options.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The Greddy SE Dual is a friggin' drone monster! I had one on my car for about 30 miles, and it drove me crazy.

I realize this will come across as a shameless sales pitch, but if you think you may want to improve engine performance, then you should also consider each exhaust's compatability with a Gern-Pipe too. Any exhaust would technically work with a Gern-Pipe, but any dual that has unequal length pipes after the Y will have more drone, and any exhaust with titanium piping would be almost impossible to upgrade. I also suspect that the HKS Dual would be a bad combination with a Gern-Pipe due to the Helmholtz chamber.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:41 AM

i have the T1R dual in my car . and i DD my car. if you cruise it steady there is no drone. as soon as you get on the gas you will hear some . and at WOT it sounds great. But its a very expensive exhaust. and i have it with a high flow cat as well.

Quick Reply: about to buy an exhaust