S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Adjustable cam gears

Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable cam gears

Ive recently soon lots of posts about people running toda adjustable cam gears and they all have positive things to say about it. They all reported really good gains. I was curious how come these arent more popular or why theyre not readily available. Anyone?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:05 AM

idk but I have a friend who paired them with skunk2 stage 2 cams..

wow...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by CrankDatVtec,Apr 8 2008, 05:05 AM
idk but I have a friend who paired them with skunk2 stage 2 cams..

wow...
Do you have his dyno sheet to show the gains?

I would probably attribute the lack of using those adjustable cam gears to the price. Its roughly $6-700 per pair of Toda Cam Gears and would most likely need well designed cams to see any gains.

Toda is the only company I know of that makes them fro the F20/22C.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 AM

I've heard horrible things about skunk2 cams for the s2k. and pretty much any other camshafts for the s2k. just seems that there's not a lot of info or hype about these cam gears if they supposedly work as good as the people that have them say.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 AM

All those cam gears do is allow you to adjust the intake/exhaust opening and closing independantly. You HAVE to have a dyno to even start that process, and it is meaningless when you see the dyno sheets that people have provided. The aftermarket cams lose power NA or gain 1-2 hp and lose bottom end. The only place I see these having value is for an all out turbo system, and even then unlikely (given how insensitive boosted s2ks are to cams).
Old 02-06-2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by INTJ,Apr 8 2008, 01:54 PM
All those cam gears do is allow you to adjust the intake/exhaust opening and closing independantly. You HAVE to have a dyno to even start that process, and it is meaningless when you see the dyno sheets that people have provided. The aftermarket cams lose power NA or gain 1-2 hp and lose bottom end. The only place I see these having value is for an all out turbo system, and even then unlikely (given how insensitive boosted s2ks are to cams).
cam gears are also useful on your cars where the head was milled and you want to return the cam to its proper configuration. you can also tune on wheel acceleration that you can get from your wheel speed sensor, provided that you have an EMS. This if done under the same conditions of mostly weight and less so wind conditions is exactly the same as dyno tuning, but without the actual hp numbers.

my question:
does anyone know if the toda cam gears have the spring inside them? it looks to me like they do not have anything like that? what do people think of its inability to reduce whiplash? the stock gear is the first cam gear that i have seen that has this functionality so maybe it's not that important? Maybe its just a noise thing?

Can someone describe how exactly it works in relation to the two halves?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might have said this before but has anyone ever looked into trying to modify an adj. cam gear for another car... K series? maybe not even a Honda/Acura car... something that has a similar setup as us with the same diameter gear. you nevvererrr knowwooooo
Old 02-07-2009, 02:18 AM

F2Xc cam gears are gear driven as opposed to belt/chain driven. Thats why they are so expensive. No other honda engine uses such cam gears...that I know of
Old 02-07-2009, 06:17 AM

I recently purchased Toda adjustable cam gears. I will use them with the stock cams.

My car is a My05 with full race kit and a 3mm inlinepro headgasket.

I will report back the results. But most probably in a week or so.

Tolga
Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by CarbonYellowJ's,Feb 7 2009, 03:18 AM
F2Xc cam gears are gear driven as opposed to belt/chain driven. Thats why they are so expensive. No other honda engine uses such cam gears...that I know of

btw our cam gears are chain drivin, the chain drives one big gear which drives the cam gears. just beacuse the chain dosent touch then cam gears does not mean they are not chain drivin most new dohc motors that have a chain instead of a belt use this technology. k-seriese motors maybe???

Quick Reply: Adjustable cam gears