S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Aftermarket hardware on OEM hardtop

Old 11-03-2017, 04:36 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Aftermarket hardware on OEM hardtop

Has anyone had any experience running after market mounting hardware on their OEM top? I'm just looking too hard mount the top because I'll never use the soft top. But I still want to get street brackets so I can leave the top in in case I ever sell the car. I got a good deal on a brand new never used OEM top but it had no hardware. I plan on using the soft top latches with new strikers for the front.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recommend getting the alloycraft hardtop locks so it will prevent your hardtop from getting stolen
Old 11-06-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

I'm using OEM honda rear hardware to pull the top seals nice and tight. I believe aftermarket latching rear hardware is available.

I am using alloycraft front bolt-in hardware to stop all the squeaks and rattles the OEM front latches cause. However...the brackets stick out pretty far. If you removed the hard top and then stood up out of the car the wrong way, you could hit your head on the bracket.

This is also a huge risk of smashing your head open if you crash the car with the hard top removed.

I'd be fine because I was assured I'd be indestructible. But...you know. Something to consider.

Its also a huge pain in the balls to un-bolt the top and get all the shims back in there when you're trying to reinstall the top.

DON'T force the bolts to "suck down" the top further than the seal will allow...or you'll tear the front seal and/or damage the top. Use shims to make the top "flush" with the windshield header.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
DON'T force the bolts to "suck down" the top further than the seal will allow...or you'll tear the front seal and/or damage the top. Use shims to make the top "flush" with the windshield header.
Any chance you could post a picture of this? I'm having a hell of a time getting my hardtop to fit correctly at the front.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Swarley
Any chance you could post a picture of this? I'm having a hell of a time getting my hardtop to fit correctly at the front.
Which top are you using?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I hate how my OEM latches rattle... Im seriously considering the Izzy Brackets since i never take the top off.

https://www.izzyscustomcages.com/s2000hardtopbrackets
Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by blueprint
I hate how my OEM latches rattle... Im seriously considering the Izzy Brackets since i never take the top off.

https://www.izzyscustomcages.com/s2000hardtopbrackets
I have the hardware that came with my shine hardtop, but I ordered those front brackets to replace the OEM latches, I hope they do the trick
Old 11-15-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Nfinitecc
I have the hardware that came with my shine hardtop, but I ordered those front brackets to replace the OEM latches, I hope they do the trick
Let me know how it works out!
Old 11-15-2017, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nfinitecc
Which top are you using?
I've got the Forbidden USA OEM replica. Having a pretty hard time getting everything to line up properly with the front and rear latches, the bolt holes almost seem like they're not where they should be. If I loosely attach the rear brackets and try and attach the front latches there's quite a bit of creaking and it seems like I will rip the threads out of the top if I clamp it down.