S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Alarm,fob and door key cylinder question

Old 05-17-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alarm,fob and door key cylinder question

Hi,

Someone probably messed with my driver side door lock and now my key won't go in.
It works for the passenger door and ignition lock just fine. Car starts without a problem.
When I bought the car it only came with one key and no remote, so I have been using my single key to lock and unlock the car.
I have searched the forums and couldn't find a good answer.

I would like to know if anyone changed the door lock cylinder?
If so how does that work, do I just carry 2 keys?
Also where did you get it changed, does it have to be a Honda dealer?

Lock actuator seems to work fine since it locks itself when I start the car,
so it would be cheaper for me to get a remote and just don't use the driver side lock until I get it changed some time in the future.

However, there is one problem with that plan as well which is the optional KARR alarm that was installed by the dealer. (Led and button under left side of the steering/ dash)
My car has this option, so when I searched the forum people have very different opinions about which fob to buy.
I don't know which one to buy, I have searched the forum and these came up-> E4EG8DJ and A269ZUA101
They seem relatively cheap on ebay, I can just buy both of them and probably it would be still cheaper than the lock change.
But I want to make sure at least one of them works.

Btw alarm is disabled right now if you are wondering how I drive the car without a remote while alarm is installed.
I have the manual for the alarm, and it took me 3 minutes to disable it.
That alarm won't stop anybody from stealing the car, you might as well get a vodoo doll for anti-theft instead.
I just need it to open the door, I don't care if the alarm works or not.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Well can I ask why haven't you gotten another key? First thing you should do is get another key. I would recommend getting a key cut from the dealer using the key code. That will be a perfect key. If you use your key that is xx years old it won't be as accurate.

Try that first. If that doesn't work you can take the lock out or buy another and have any lock smith rekey it for you if it doesn't come from dealer keyed for your code.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The lock has internal parts that are numbered.. If those are damaged they can be replaced without requiring you to use a different key.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:24 AM

Thank you for the answers.

@boyguan

The reason for not getting a key is really simple, the one I have works fine.
Trunk, passenger door, and ignition works smooth without a problem.
I am pretty sure it is not the key, it was working fine one day and next day suddenly driver side door won't open.
Also since the key doesn't go inside the lock, getting another key won't really help me open the door.
When I say it doesn't go in, I mean literally it won't go inside the lock.
Metal flap opens on the lock cylinder but as soon as it hits the first "nub" inside the lock it won't go further.
However, getting another key is something I am planning to do since losing the one I have might be more expensive than just getting another extra.
If I get a key cut would it start the car, because as far as I know ap2's have some sort of electronic inside the key.

AE_Racer
Are you talking about the lock cylinder? If so where can I get these parts mentioned, also who builds the lock back, a locksmith or the dealer?
I am pretty sure the dude who messed with tried to stick something in it and damaged the little nubs inside the lock.
When I checked majestic honda's diagram for the lock it shows the cylinder as one part and it doesn't show any internals for it. Number 23 on this diagram
Old 05-18-2016, 04:42 AM

The best thing to do is remove the lock cylinder and pull it apart so you know what needs to be repaired. What im talking about is part no 5 on this diagram. You will see it lists numerous part numbers for the different number disks.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-l...kit.html?PNC=1

At some point the key type was changed in the S2000 model years so yours may be different but these are the same as my 2001. If I remember correctly, my locks had 7 of these numbered disks. They are marked with the number which you can see when pulled apart (careful they dont all fall out at once.. Draw a diagram and pull one at a time so you can mark them down for reassembly). If they are in fact damaged then you would just order the ones you need. The cylinder is a bit of a pain to remove but with some patience its not too bad. Once you have the cylinder out, its a pretty simple contraption and in my experience theres no need for a locksmith or the dealer. It simply slides apart and then the numbered disks and springs under them fall out. Let me know if you need some assistance.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:53 AM

These videos should help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNoP3KIhq40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU2IvXf1FRU
Old 05-18-2016, 12:16 PM

AE_Racer

Wow didn't know I can take the lock apart at all.
Man you don't know how much you have helped.
I have been struggling with this problem for a month and you solved it in a day.

Hit me up when you are in LA, I will buy you a beer. I really appreciate the help.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:06 PM

No problem. Thank me when you have it solved

I had a kinda similar issue I guess.. My key only fits the ignition and I had been using the aftermarket alarm to lock and unlock the doors. I had to pull my door handles to do a vinyl wrap so I decided to take the cylinder apart and see if I could rearrange them to fit one of the various keys I have. Long story short, that didnt work and I still havent fixed it but my plan is to get another key cut to fit the locks since I now have the magic numbers.

Good luck and feel free to pm if you have any questions.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I've heard the story of o I only had one key and I lost it. What can I do.

I always start by asking why didn't you immediately buy another key when that happened. Honda can read your code and make another key with the same code and it should work. My dealer charges me like 40 bucks

If you lost a key and want another and you want them to remove the code for the lost key they can do that but that is like 100-200. Even if they have the key and can turn the ignition they still can't start it since you removed the code
Old 05-22-2016, 08:01 AM

For those of you search for this problem and find this thread, yes E4EG8DJ(ebay around 20$) works even if you have the KARR 4040a optional alarm installed on your car.
This is for 2006 can't talk for ap1s but should be the same.
You need to disable the alarm first(if you don't have the fob for it), which I won't share how to but should be easily doable at a dealer near you for free if you provide your registration or pink slip.
After the alarm is disabled, you program your fob just like any other s2k.
For fob to work, door actuators must be working.
Lock doesn't have to work, just the actuators.