S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Alloy Craft Hardtop Lock Review

Old 04-30-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Alloy Craft Hardtop Lock Review

Just got my Alloy Craft Hardtop Locks installed and i'm pretty happy with them so far. Build quality and finish are awesome. Fitment was an issue at first, but Eric @ Alloy Craft helped me out and now it's pretty much perfect. What happened was that my izzy's brackets didn't require spacers/shims so i first installed the Alloy Craft brackets without shims. Without the shims, the bracket would simply pull the hardtop down too low past the A pillar (way past the 1.2mm factory recommendation). So after i installed about 3-4mm worth of shims between the bracket and the hardtop, i was good to go.

At $50 per side shipped, it was a great deal (group buy price). You don't even need 2, but why not when they're only $50 a piece right?

I haven't driven with them yet, so I'll update the thread after i do so, but i don't foresee any problems like wind noise or rattling since it's seems very solid, just like the izzy's brackets which i didn't have any problem with either.

Here's a link to the Vendor thread: Alloy Craft Hardtop Locks

Here is a picture of everything you get. What i really like is the thought put into the design such as the rubber stopper (most likely to prevent rattling which the OEM hardware is notorious for) and the extra allen head set screw that goes on the end (maybe as an extra bit of support so the lock isn't the only thing holding the 2 sides of the bracket together?). I don't remember if it came with the allen wrench or not, that might be mine. Only thing it's missing is the shims if you end up needing them and if your hardtop didn't come with any. I know OEM tops/hardware come with shims, not sure about others.

here are some installed pics, fits great with the factory A pillar plastics:

UPDATE 5/5/11:
Been driving my car everyday since i installed them and no problems whatsoever. No wind leakage or rattling, very solid...and secure!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

where did you get the shims?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
i just used washers for now, but i won't be using them as long term shims since the surface area is small on them. i'll probably make my own out of a single sheet of aluminum.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1' timestamp='1304224459' post='20525296
i just used washers for now, but i won't be using them as long term shims since the surface area is small on them. i'll probably make my own out of a single sheet of aluminum.
Want to make extras? I'll gladly pay Thanks for the pics. Need to install mine too how long did the install take?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
if you make for yourself, make for all of us!

i would pay
Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 AM

well i'm making it for myself b/c i've already determined how thick it needs to be. I think every car/hardtop may be different, ie. some may need only 2mm or some may possibly need more, so the shim may not be a one-size-fits-all.

but i'll update on the exact size i end up using when i make the final version shim. If you guys need the same size, i could probably make some for you.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the review Chris. As for the shims the stock hardtop should come with 3 per side. If you need more Majestic honda sells them for around $2.88 each. also If anybody needs these I can make, and provide them at around $2.00 each, however it would take me a few weeks to get them made.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:19 PM

whats the part number? I'm trying to pick up the shims before I receive this locks and attempt to install them. thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 12:31 PM

mine came with no keys and eric sent me a pair of key but it didn't let me turn. M i the only one that is SOL ? here ?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nufan2222
mine came with no keys and eric sent me a pair of key but it didn't let me turn. M i the only one that is SOL ? here ?
Yea sorry about that, I had a key mix up when packiaging these. I beleive you were the only one though.

Quick Reply: Alloy Craft Hardtop Lock Review