S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Ap1 Ecu in Ap2 + Mods, tune, Gears = fun?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:51 AM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Ap1 Ecu in Ap2 + Mods, tune, Gears = fun?

OK Guys. I've been poking around and asking questions about the whole Ap1 in AP2 cars and i've gotten some Wonderful feedback by the couple of gentleman that i have spoken with about revving to 9k in an AP2.

Supposedly there hasnt been any issues so far. I havent spoken to alot of folks but everyone that I HAVE spoken to have said great things about the performance and had no bad things happen yet. One has gone over 30k miles with no issues!!

I already have I/H/TP/Exhaust now. And i was thinking maybe i can go with the 4.77 gears since i dont do much highway driving. Now. I thought to myself, having 4.77 gears in an AP2 will make me shift pretty crazy but having the AP1 ecu in the Ap2, i could rev to 9k, keep in the powerband longer, not have to shift as often. Along with this, i wanted to get my car tuned by the Emanage Ultimate using the AP1 ecu since people have more benefits tuning the AP1 ecu.

What do you guys think of this setup? I heard somewhere the AEM EM can allow the ap2 to rev up to 8500? is that correct? So if they thought it was safe, i thought maybe the AP1 ecu is ok.

Its just a thought because i figured if it was THAT safe, honda wouldve done it.

This is in Leu of going FI. But if i have to then i will . THANKS!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

High (8500-9000+) rpms will end up causing problems.

In all seriousness, if you just "heard somewhere that the AEM EMS can allow the ap2 to rev up to 8500" I suggest you spend the next few months reading old posts. Until you understand what is going on I suggest you keep your wallet closed and don't do anything to the car. You have no idea what you are doing.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:24 AM

well, when i say i heard, i meant read. I read that it has that capability or something.

But i dont fully understand that and i'm not completely oblivious to knowledge of this stuff, but that is the reason why i'm asking so in a sense, yes i dont know about it and thats why i posted this for the folks and big wigs such as yourself to help guide the less knowledgeable such as myself!

I see that your superchargered and believe me, i REALLY wanna go FI. Which is actually where my back round is. Well....with turbo's it is. But im CLUEless on Superchargers.

So to me, when i see 3800 bucks for a greddy kit, sounds great but problems still exist. And it seems like the SC guys *such as yourself* have less issues and things to worry about when just Bolting UP and drive.

This was an alternate to going FI. But please chime in. Good or bad. This is how I learn, and others that maybe wondering the same thing. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really really believe you need to just sc your car and be done with it lol...the more you do the more pitfalls that can be made...If i were to do any significant attempts at increasing the acceleration of the car I would do gears first, FI second end of story...In my case I was gun-ho about sc'ing then i got gears and realized that my driving was perfectly suited between 4.5-6k with gears on the backroads..some of the most driving fun i've ever had...
Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if your car stops making power at a certain point, is there y a reason to rev past that?

i agree with the sparrow man on this one. you want to get in to pretty random things. you'd probably have less problems if you just boosted.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:20 AM

HAHAHAHAHAH I KNOW RIGHT?!

CRAP!......

Ok well with 4.77 gears, on my AP2 with a supercharger jsut too much to handle...shifting wise?

I was just wondering about the tuning because since i got the aftermarket stuff.. I thought maybe i need to tune? no?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:27 AM

they were just question... just wondering what COULD have come about doing those things
Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2KSandy,Dec 3 2007, 01:20 PM
Ok well with 4.77 gears, on my AP2 with a supercharger jsut too much to handle...shifting wise?

I was just wondering about the tuning because since i got the aftermarket stuff.. I thought maybe i need to tune? no?
ask freshs2k about the first question--he had the 4.77 w/ comptech blower on his AP2.

you don't need to tune because you have the aftermarket stuff, but tuning could help.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:32 AM
d-j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KSandy,Dec 3 2007, 12:20 PM
I did the 4.44 gears with a Vortech. 1st gear is really short. Others may have a different opinion.
If you think you will ever increase the boost level from the stock kit, (IMO) 4.77 is not the best choice.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode in an ap2 w/ 4.77's and sc...shifting seemed like a bike with 4 wheels.....waa shift waaaaaa shift waaaaaaaaaaa shift...tires chirping the whole way...luckily the top was down cuz one of the shifts made me fart...true story

Quick Reply: Ap1 Ecu in Ap2 + Mods, tune, Gears = fun?