S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

AutoBlip for drive-by-wires

Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

hmmm i wouldnt consider myself a purist by any means but i feel this takes a lot out of driving

i test drove the 370z with this feature and i thought it was retarded, to me this is one step above paddle shifters.... didnt we want manual transmissions for a reason? this just makes it more like an automatic

with that being said i am in no way bashing this product, to each there own, glad its working out well for you
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

@SW2 Tuning - Changing the final drive ratio would not have any impact UNLESS you installed a yellow box or something to correct the vehicle speed. Even then, I would guess that the ECU would still correctly determine the current gear.

@hand banana - I have never considered heel-toe rev matching to be ar regular part of driving. I actually find it irritating when I ride in a car with someone who rev matches and engine brakes on the street. I know that it's good practice for when you're on the track, but it really is annoying to everyone around. People that don't know anything about high performance driving just look at the practice as juvenile. That's why I like the Auto-Blip, since it allows me to NOT drive like a boy racer on the street, but I can engine brake like a pro on the track.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 AM
Former Sponsor

I did some datalogging the other day with my FlashPro to show how the Auto-Blip works. Below are a couple examples with various adjustments.

The "Delay" really isn't displayed well in these graphs, since the FlashPro doesn't capture when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this only blip the throttle when the brake is depressed as well? What If I want to downshift to pass someone quickly on the freeway?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:17 PM

^^^^ good question. i would like to know as well
Old 05-07-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g.guess88
^^^^ good question. i would like to know as well
Sorry, you'll have to do that yourself, maybe just barely touch the brake pedal if you can't blip very well yourself...it only activates when the brake is pressed, otherwise you'd get a lot of 'miss blips' when upshifting.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:00 PM

It's cool but it seems like a toy..
Old 05-08-2013, 05:09 AM
Former Sponsor

@RTL2K - This device is only intended to replace the Heel-Toe downshift, which is only done while braking.

@Unho1yghost - If you track your car, then the whole car is a toy.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by RTL2K
Does this only blip the throttle when the brake is depressed as well? What If I want to downshift to pass someone quickly on the freeway?
Im sure you could wire the brake wire to a hot wire and it will blip every time you push in the clutch, but that would suck while trying to up shift.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Below is a short video I did this morning on the way to work. I may not have mentioned earlier, but I do not even try to Heel-Toe downshift or rev-match in any way. I've been autocrossing and tracking my cars for 19 years, and realized long ago that I could not move my feet that way, so I just accepted that "handicap". Because of that, I have also never tried engine braking at all, and rely completely on my brake pads to slow down the car on the track. When I enter a corner on the track, I hit the brakes, disengage the clutch, let the RPMs fall, then select whatever gear I plan to use for corner exit, then release the clutch somewhere early in the corner, settle the car, then apply throttle.

When I installed this device, I thought it would be more like the system in the 370Z, and hoped that it would just make my current driving style a little better. I figured it would just smooth out my corner exits by rev matching mid-corner. I didn't even consider that it might work so well that I could fix my entire corner entry, and allow me to engine brake. Well, it did work that well, and I'm blown away at how quickly I was able to adapt my driving style to it.

It may not be obvious in the video, but I never touch the throttle pedal on any of the downshifts. I suggest watching the video several times from 1:08 - 1:15, since that demonstrates how amazing the Auto-Blip works. I was actually a bit nervous for that stop, since I approached it faster than I intended. My street tires are garbage, and they were right at their threshold as I engine braked in 4th, 3rd, and 2nd. The result was so seemless and smooth that it didn't even change the sound of the tire squeal!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE-fUQYyLQ4[/media]

Quick Reply: AutoBlip for drive-by-wires