S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Modifications and Parts (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/)
-   -   berk 3 inch header back vs jays RR70 db levels for road trip (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/berk-3-inch-header-back-vs-jays-rr70-db-levels-road-trip-1195527/)

beefystud 07-10-2019 01:45 PM

berk 3 inch header back vs jays RR70 db levels for road trip

i currently have a jays RR70 on my car and i cant drive it with out ear plugs and ear muffs at the same time and my ears still ring a little after 12 hour drive although no head aches unless i drive it with out plugs and muffs

im about to embark on a 12 day road trip across utah/colorado/arizona averaging about 600 miles a day and i bought a berk 3 inch header back for the trip

my question is will the berk 3 inch header back be enough to keep me from gettting more serious hearing damage on this trip ? will i still have to wear plugs and muffs any way?

(already have permanent Tinnitus from driving the 70rr just one time without plugs)

Chuck S 07-11-2019 05:48 AM

Not sure who's metered your intended exhaust but I metered my Tanabe Medalion Touring dual exhaust behind a Berk high flow cat and it's at 94dBA 24"and 45° from the tips. Several 600 mile 10 hour day trips without hearing protection and no issues.

I compared the iPhone "Ap" to my OSHA certified noise meter and found it within one (1) dBA when used correctly. What's your exhaust measure now?

-- Chuck

Samba 07-11-2019 06:00 AM

Unless the Jay's is something like a BC Spec 2, I really can't imagine that the Berk will be much quieter.
The Berk also drones from ~3000 to ~4100rpm.

Manga_Spawn 07-11-2019 08:28 AM

The berk won't be quieter unless you got the one with the extra resonators. Still going to be really loud.

Car Analogy 07-11-2019 08:33 AM

So you went to the trouble and expense of buying an exhaust system just for a specific trip, with very specific requirements (being able to withstand the volume of sound for extended periods of time), without bothering to investigate if the system chosen met any of your requirements at all, or even if it would be worse for your requirements than what it would be replacing?

I'm going to assume it was a local purchase at a price too good to pass up. And now you just want to know if you should even bother to install it and try it, or just sell it.

It doesn't seem like it would be significantly better at accomplishing your requirements than what you have now. Perhaps tbe easiest, cheapest way to accomplish what you're looking for is try and find a used stock system locally. If you just can't live with the extreme quiet of stock, uk mod it.

You should be able to sell the stock exhaust for near what you pay for it when you return. So basically its free.

flanders 07-11-2019 08:49 AM

J's Racing 70RR is basically a straight pipe so one of the loudest exhausts you can find for this car.
The Berk system is for sure less loud than that but probably still pretty painful on long drives.

Manga_Spawn 07-11-2019 09:57 AM

The Berk without a resonator is basically the same though. 3 inch pipe with a muffler. The muffler style is different but I can tell you the berk is not quite inside or out.

beefystud 07-11-2019 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S (Post 24621274)
Not sure who's metered your intended exhaust but I metered my Tanabe Medalion Touring dual exhaust behind a Berk high flow cat and it's at 94dBA 24"and 45° from the tips. Several 600 mile 10 hour day trips without hearing protection and no issues.

I compared the iPhone "Ap" to my OSHA certified noise meter and found it within one (1) dBA when used correctly. What's your exhaust measure now?

-- Chuck

i believe the jays 70RR is 126-129 db

beefystud 07-11-2019 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn (Post 24621377)
The Berk without a resonator is basically the same though. 3 inch pipe with a muffler. The muffler style is different but I can tell you the berk is not quite inside or out.

i know it wont be "quite" but will it be bearable ? my motorcycle has open headers and its about 100db and totally bearable for days on end no ear plugs , where will the berk fall between 100db and 126-129db ?

the berk resonator is more than double the size of the jays , its got to be a little quieter, no?

Manga_Spawn 07-11-2019 10:28 AM

Muffler not resonator. Yes the Berk is bigger but I think it is a similar straight through design. Maybe a little quieter than the J's since I have not been in a car with that exhaust but I had the berk header back for a while. Neither has a resonator. I had it on mine and it was not fun to drive long distances but everyone has a different threshold for pain.