S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Berk HFC Sound difference + other questions

Old 04-23-2019, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Berk HFC Sound difference + other questions

Hello all,
Just recently installed my hks dual hi power + k&n fipk. The exhaust is great the tone is just beautiful and drone is completely livable, which was important as I daily the car. However, my one problem is the exhaust isn't as loud as I would like. The sound is awesome but it really isn't loud enough to the point that I either want to soon add a Berk HFC or get a different exhaust. I'm in CA so I have no plans of getting a test pipe.

This leads to my question, I would really prefer to get a hfc because its more cost effective and less of a PITA than getting a whole new exhaust. I'm curious of just what sort of sound difference the hfc makes. People have said they make the car louder and I've watched videos but it's difficult to get an accurate judgement based off that (as is with all exhaust sound clips.)

I'm looking for a specific answer on just how much of a difference a Berk hfc makes when added to the car. I already have an Hks dual hi-power, would the car be significantly louder with the berk? Does warm idle, cold start, or low rpm sound change? Or is it really only at WOT when you see a difference? Is the sound difference worth it or should I get a whole new exhaust?

Also, as I said I'm in California so HFC are technically illegal although some have said they pass smog inspection? Would any shops be willing to install a HFC despite it being for "off-road use only"? I could install it with a friend as it is mostly bolt-on but I don't have much experience working on cars and don't want to end up getting CEL thrown at me left and right.

Thank you in advance everyone!!
Old 04-23-2019, 09:24 PM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

Which model year do you have? When I installed my Berk HFC, I did not throw any CEL on my 2006. I've heard 00-05's throwing one and an O2 sensor defouler/spacer is needed to avoid it. It will get a little louder but I can't tell you exactly how much because I didn't really compare the difference in mine. I'm sure you can find a shop to install it, although it really is very easy to do yourself.
The following users liked this post:
kiss_my_s (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear because I also have an '06! I'm leaning towards just pulling the trigger because the price is really not bad for what you're getting, especially because my HKS was less than I was planning on dropping for my exhaust. How has your experience been with cops/smog and all that fun stuff?
Old 04-24-2019, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by kiss_my_s
Good to hear because I also have an '06! I'm leaning towards just pulling the trigger because the price is really not bad for what you're getting, especially because my HKS was less than I was planning on dropping for my exhaust. How has your experience been with cops/smog and all that fun stuff?
I sandwiched the stock cat heatshield around it. Fits like a glove even though there's no brackets to mount it to. I just wrapped both ends of the cat with exhaust wrap to keep it snug/keep from rattling. Passed smog w/no issues.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:26 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Forget the "sound" Get the high flow cat regardless. Plug and play. A high flow cat will allow a 2006+ car to be FlashPro tuned for significantly more mid-range power via a 3600 VTEC engagement. My FlashPro tuned 2006 passed Ohio smog the two or three times I had it tested. CEL has never illuminated.

As to "sound." My wife thinks the S2000 is a little too loud for daily driving but her car is silent. Her car is wonderful for getting some place. The S2000 is wonderful for driving someplace. I tend to seek out going under bridges and tunnels. Berk cat and Tanabe Medalion Touring dual exhaust measured 95dBA on my OSHA certified noise meter. Tanabe claims 94 so there's a 1dBA increase in noise in my sample. The audio App on my iPhone matched my OSHA meter!

The brackets for the heat shields I had welded to my 63.5mm Berk high flow cat didn't survive the rock that jumped out on front of me and passed under the car and banged into the cat shield. Been running "shield-less" since them. I was curious if the heat tape method worked (seems it does) so it's off to the shed to see if the heat shields are still there. I'm afraid I sold them.

-- Chuck
kiss_my_s (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:15 PM

Just to piggyback on what Chuck suggested, definitely tune it afterwards. Those mods will make the engine breathe easier and 06+ models tend to run lean already. A tune will counter this otherwise you’ll have to be doing valve adjustments more frequently to avoid valve damage.
kiss_my_s (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the Ballade Sports HFC. It has the same cat as the Berk, but is designed for bolting on the factory heat shied. https://www.balladesports.com/produc...-converter-hfc

My 07 has had issues with the CEL and both Berk & Ballade Sports HFCs. I can get it to pass CA smog, but it takes some preparation with the readiness codes (and it is easier to set the readiness codes in warmer weather).
kiss_my_s (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 05:43 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

From inside the car the Berk HFC doesn't add much more sound, from the outside it gets a bit more raspy in the mid range, but sounds good, and not really any louder. I loved mine, never had any CEL's.
kiss_my_s (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 06:56 PM

Received 1,309 Likes on 990 Posts

'06. No cel. Stock exhaust. I can hear a slight increase in sound, even at idle, but only from outside. Inside the car I cannot detect the difference. I imagine an aftermarket exhaust would tend to amplify the difference the hfc makes. So more increase in loudness over my stock exhaust and hfc.

As stated, get a hfc even if you do end up switch catback system. Eventually you can get flashpro and tune. This is the best bang for buck performance mod in all of S2000 land.
kiss_my_s (04-25-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kiss_my_s
Hello all,
Just recently installed my hks dual hi power + k&n fipk. The exhaust is great the tone is just beautiful and drone is completely livable, which was important as I daily the car. However, my one problem is the exhaust isn't as loud as I would like. The sound is awesome but it really isn't loud enough to the point that I either want to soon add a Berk HFC or get a different exhaust. I'm in CA so I have no plans of getting a test pipe.

This leads to my question, I would really prefer to get a hfc because its more cost effective and less of a PITA than getting a whole new exhaust. I'm curious of just what sort of sound difference the hfc makes. People have said they make the car louder and I've watched videos but it's difficult to get an accurate judgement based off that (as is with all exhaust sound clips.)

I'm looking for a specific answer on just how much of a difference a Berk hfc makes when added to the car. I already have an Hks dual hi-power, would the car be significantly louder with the berk? Does warm idle, cold start, or low rpm sound change? Or is it really only at WOT when you see a difference? Is the sound difference worth it or should I get a whole new exhaust?

Also, as I said I'm in California so HFC are technically illegal although some have said they pass smog inspection? Would any shops be willing to install a HFC despite it being for "off-road use only"? I could install it with a friend as it is mostly bolt-on but I don't have much experience working on cars and don't want to end up getting CEL thrown at me left and right.

Thank you in advance everyone!!
I live in Cali had a Berk HFC with no heat shield for around 7 years now always passed smog with aftermarket exhaust and k&n intake just last week I did smog no issue I’m running stock headers if that helps any

As for sound all say it sounds loud yet not aggressively annoying .unless you rev high rpms Definitely worth every dollar I picked mine up from forum from old member for 175 shipped I would post ad on WTB before buying new save you some money

good luck

Quick Reply: Berk HFC Sound difference + other questions