S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Best Intake/Air Filter

Old 05-15-2017, 09:48 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Realistically what car analogy said is correct. No matter the intake you gain maybe a few hp at the wheels but the sound and look and maybe a little weight savings it really the benefit you'll see. The one exception is the arc intake which has been shown to lose power. You may want to look at the comptech/Ct engineering intake. Costs a little more than the k&n but larger piping, velocity stack, looks nice.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

With a tuneable ECU (like with FlashPRO and a 2006 or later car) there is appreciable more power in the midrange (power under the curve) when VTEC can be dropped to the 3600rpm range. But this isn't cheap HP. FIPK + high flow cat + a bit better exhaust + FlashPRO + Gernby road tune adds up to the few ponies gained but they're in the midrange and noticeable. No before and after power runs but others who have driven my S2000 are impressed with the power as am I. More expensive per pony than superchargers but the entry fee there seems to be at least $4000.

-- Chuck
Old 05-15-2017, 11:52 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

You can achieve almost all of that with a drop in filter, test pipe plus the tune. Aftermarket intake and exhaust really aren't needed. The biggest gain is midrange from lowering vtec.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

This thread is useless without dyno graphs.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Best intake/air filter?

"Insert what replying user currently runs on their s2000"
Old 05-15-2017, 12:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
This thread is useless without dyno graphs.
My Butt will draw you one, got a pencil?
The following users liked this post:
seajay2525 (07-16-2021)
Old 05-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by TofuProductions
Best intake/air filter?

"Insert what replying user currently runs on their s2000"
Any cotton re usable/KN, AEM etc that accepts a 6" ID flange to velocity stack. The rest after that is still semi debatable depending on where you want to see the most power in the rpm range and logistics of building a short ram to a long tube design. The crucial/fundamental thing no matter what in seeing the best gains to capitalize on your chosen design is to get the most fresh air, isolating the engine temps. There is a basic list of a few things that are proven to work together to achieve that such as relocating the IAT sensor on 00-005 years, blocking off engine coolant to intake, isolation gasket etc. But if you really want to capitalize on a good intake design, you need to open up the TB and port match the back side of the opening to intake manifold.

If you do all these things and are smart about where you spend your money where your DYI isn't possible. You can see a solid 15-20whp through the top half of the rpm range spending no more then about $500. If you have invested in some form of piggy back or EMS to lower vtec already, then those gains will be seen down further in the mid range for a fatter power curve. An F22 with larger TB is going to get bigger results from a well thought out intake.

I have recently just redesigned my set up with a HPS intake, which is a 3.5" opening transitioning to a 3" at TB with a 4" velocity stack with 3.5" mid pipe. The foam Comptech SC filter I was planning to repurpose is actually too restrictive now, causing a vacuum above 7k rpm, yet down under that my afr has gone lean. This tells me I have improved flow through the entire rpm range, and so much so that the filter cant keep up in the top end so I'm ditching it and moving to a larger KN style. Previous intake was stock intake with a KN drop in. the other provisions for cold air and all other mods I listed were previously done. No dyno, but real world measurable changes in AFR and Vac.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 05-15-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When does the stock filter typically need changed? How many miles., in PA....

And is best drop in a OEM filteR?
Old 08-11-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

A 1.5 year old thread bump to ask an unrelated question? Very bad form.

Please start a new thread. Hopefully no one tries to reply here with any sort of answer.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
A 1.5 year old thread bump to ask an unrelated question? Very bad form.

Please start a new thread. Hopefully no one tries to reply here with any sort of answer.
He asked about a drop in filter which this thread touches on. Bad form is you encouraging him to start a new thread instead of searching or pointing him in the right direction since you went through the trouble of replying anyway.

Originally Posted by Jason B
When does the stock filter typically need changed? How many miles., in PA....

And is best drop in a OEM filteR?
Most people with the stock intake box go with OEM or K&N/AEM dryflow filters. The latter can be cleaned and reused. If you got the coin, Spoon makes an air filter as well for the OEM intake. The aftermarket options may increase throttle response. Check the list of official stickys at the top of this forum for other similar threads.

Quick Reply: Best Intake/Air Filter