S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Modifications and Parts (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/)
-   -   Best mods for increased reliability/durability? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/best-mods-increased-reliability-durability-1158384/)

Greg Bell 08-04-2016 02:14 PM

Best mods for increased reliability/durability?

Hey,

I have been slowly going through preventative mainitence (axle nut re-torque, oil, trans, diff, etc) on my recent purchase (01 w/ 47k). I was wondering if there are any modifications that might allow my car a longer, more reliable life. I have no intention of heavily modifying it, I will swap out the exhaust for a Mugen at some point (to save weight, but keep it quiet). What mods would you recommend for this purpose?

1. Catch Can?

2. Billman's TCT?

Any tips, pointers?

Z32MadMan 08-04-2016 02:35 PM

I am doing the same at the moment.

Oil and filter change
Tranny fluid change
Diff fluid change
Coolant change
New air filter
New cabin air filter
Brake and clutch fluid change
Clean, polish, relube clutch slave cylinder
Serpantine belt
Condition leather with Leatherique
Rear axle nut retorque
Motor and Tranny mounts
Billman TCT
Valve adjustment
Valve cover gasket
Spark plugs
Wash, claybar, polish, OptiCoat

Hfreak 08-04-2016 02:42 PM

Billman TCT first then add the catch can down the road, TCT is a necessity, catch can is an option.

Chuck S 08-04-2016 02:46 PM

There isn't really a lot to do outside of the owners manual. These cars are, after all, Hondas.

Preventive maintenance is better than repair maintenance. So you're on the right track. I installed Billman's GenX TCT last summer at 40K miles even though there was no indication failure in the OEM part. But experience here indicates this is a part that will eventually fail. NEVER ask which aftermarket TCT is better unless you want to pour gasoline on a fire that's still smoldering somewhere on the forum. :)

I'm not sure what use a catch can has in a road car. But I fitted one this spring a I was curious where the few ounces of oil I used last summer went. Lots of hoses! I'll check it at my scheduled oil change. Synthetic oil costs more but has longer life in the engine. I change the oil when the Maintenance Minder on the dash says it's time or before winter hibernation in November. Or would. Only had the car two summers and the MM hasn't told me to change it before my end-of-season oil change. Gearbox and differential this year too (well before requirements).

Valve adjustment is vital for the DBW cars as it seems many came from the factory with too tight clearances which will eventually damage the exhaust valves. Upon checking '06 DBW they were fine but my buddy's '02 (cable throttle) were very tight and had to be reset.

Oh, yeah. I put a new serpentine belt on my car last Sunday morning as it had stretched beyond the markers. 50K miles on my car. With nearly 50K on your car I'd change it regardless unless you can read the part number on the belt which only stays visible for a limited number years.

-- Chuck

Manga_Spawn 08-04-2016 02:56 PM

Since you have an AP1 you should do the AP2 retainers and keepers upgrade. You may also want to look into the 4 hole banjo bolts as that can help reliability.

bgoetz 08-04-2016 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn (Post 24032595)
Since you have an AP1 you should do the AP2 retainers and keepers upgrade. You may also want to look into the 4 hole banjo bolts as that can help reliability.

I do not agree, just a visual inspection of the retainers is all that is needed unless the OP money shifts. If you want pull the cover 5,000 miles after the first visual and recheck since he doesn't know the history. As for the banjo bolts, I have read as many threads of nightmares trying to replace them as I have confirmed engine failures due to them. I have a 145k mile track driven 01 with neither done and it is fine. Aside from the mentioned maintenance items a Modifry ECT is a great idea for an AP1

Conedodger 08-05-2016 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by bgoetz (Post 24032610)

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn' timestamp='1470351374' post='24032595

I do not agree, just a visual inspection of the retainers is all that is needed unless the OP money shifts.

:iagree:

My AP1 has 70K miles and 13 years of heavy autocross use and I'm still running the AP1 retainers. Checked them last season and they were fine.

Micalbertl 08-05-2016 04:42 AM

^ HONDA FTW!
change the fluids on time and don't crash it and the car will keep running :thumbup:

solitarycheese 08-05-2016 07:57 AM

Torque Damper can (allegedly) extend the life your motor mounts.

JoePhotographer 08-05-2016 08:15 AM

This is always a good refernce: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/775...-a-used-s2000/