S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

best short ram intake

Old 01-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
Originally Posted by Fokker
Search. These topics have been discussed ad infinitum. Taking the top of the box makes more noise, but costs you horsepower. If you want noise and some mid-range gains, K&N FIPK will provide.
If you're going to make a claim probably best to back it up

I've read through the threads also, as well as the thread which monitored IAT's. Yes there was a difference, but not a difference of 10hp! Not denying it will heat soak faster in traffic and stop and go, but once speed is maintained the flow of air is increased and the heat soak affect reduced. Plus, who drives in stop and go traffic and races to the next red light

Would be nice if someone could just do a dyno with the hood open and a comparison between off and on.

Yes, the K&N is a much better choice - I have one and love the sound at cross over
It's not my job to do your research for you. If you want dyno numbers, you're more than welcome to put a stock S2K on a dyno and do back to back runs with and without the lid. Those differences will have nothing to do with heatsoak.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ng-Faster.aspx
Old 01-01-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Lol okay - we shall in the future make claims with out any sort of back up and simply say 'go find out if I am wrong'. Good!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Community Organizer

Lol okay - we shall in the future make claims with out any sort of back up and simply say 'go find out if I am wrong'. Good!
Read the link, that is a clear indication of significant power loss which has nothing to do with heatsoak. The claims have been backed up by many authorities on these cars. You lose significant power by removing the airbox lid, end of story.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

The one thing I know is that my stock '06 makes 8" of H2o restriction with the lid on and none with the lid off. That test was done with a new air filter. Now 8" of H2o restriction one could not feel the difference in power, and I doubt a dyno would either. Get up around 11" and you will see a slight drop in power in the higher rpm's.

ROD
Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Removing the stock lid would reduce performance figures, though it wouldn't be as many as 10bhp. I am sure he was just exaggerating but you get the idea...chill.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO
Removing the stock lid would reduce performance figures, though it wouldn't be as many as 10bhp. I am sure he was just exaggerating but you get the idea...chill.
I wasn't the one getting upset
Old 01-08-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
The one thing I know is that my stock '06 makes 8" of H2o restriction with the lid on and none with the lid off. That test was done with a new air filter. Now 8" of H2o restriction one could not feel the difference in power, and I doubt a dyno would either. Get up around 11" and you will see a slight drop in power in the higher rpm's.

ROD
I also think keeping the lid on is better for performance, I just wanted to say what I found out about the restriction on the stock air box. Very easy fix, I ran a hose from the side of the box into a hole that is right there. No more restriction.

ROD
Old 01-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by rrounds

ROD
If you look at page three of the link I posted, you will notice significant power loss comparing pulls with and without the lid.

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO' timestamp='1420688350' post='23460266
I wasn't the one getting upset
No one was upset, at least on my end.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the K&N FIPK and before i had just the stock airbox with a K&N filter and the lid removed. I have to say that while the vtec switch over on the FIPK is loud, the sound is raspier and more metalic. With the stock airbox the intake had a much deeper sound to it especially at low RPM when giving it gas. I thought this might have been because the FIPK is more enclosed behind the heat shields with the rubber padding touching the hood and the stock airbox more open so the sound can reach the driver better. So i removed the heat shield as an experiment and secured the intake floating with space around it. It was a little louder but still not the same throaty sound.

I noticed that the FIPK fliter is smaller and the tube leading to the intake seems narrower as well. Perhaps that causes the difference.

If i was trying to get that deep sounding intake, which intake should i get? I think that something with a broader intake pipe might make the sound im looking for.

Anyone else heard a similar difference?