S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Modifications and Parts (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/)
-   -   Brake Caliper Upgrade - FOR AESTHETICS ONLY!! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/brake-caliper-upgrade-aesthetics-only-1194775/)

9KEVERYDAY 06-10-2019 06:40 AM

Brake Caliper Upgrade - FOR AESTHETICS ONLY!!

Hello everyone! I have a 2003 S2000 and I would like to upgrade my front and rear brake calipers, but only for aesthetic reasons! I love the way they look and I understand the factory calipers are extremely competent for what the S2000 is. I do like to drive my car aggressively on backroads at times but I do not auto-x or spend anytime on the track. Given that there are many folks retrofitting Acura TL, Acura RL, FK8/FK2, Calipers. Depending on those options, a bracket and/or modifying the knuckle/caliper is needed to bolt to factory rotors. I have seen someone install the older type r calipers on the S, however, the piston sizes equate to a loss in brake pad strength. I would like to go up in power or remain the same but improve the looks of the brakes. What are your thoughts on a cost-effective option that still maintains factory function and reliability? I realize there is some risk involved modifying the brake caliper to fit the S2k knuckle. Given the way I drive, would you still recommend any of the above calipers that need modifying?

DISCLAIMER: I AM LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE AND OPINION OF DEPENDABILITY AND PERFORMANCE. STAYING ON SUBJECT IS APPRECIATED! THANK YOU

Manga_Spawn 06-10-2019 08:50 AM

Spoon comes to mind as an upgrade for the fronts that also looks better. The rear calipers are tough as there is far fewer choices. Not sure I have even seen many retrofitted options for that. The spoon calipers may cost more up front than some of the used options but having done through rebuilding a comptech brembo kit I would just buy a new brake kit in the future given the amount of time and money the replacement parts ended up costing.

9KEVERYDAY 06-10-2019 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn (Post 24610947)
Spoon comes to mind as an upgrade for the fronts that also looks better. The rear calipers are tough as there is far fewer choices. Not sure I have even seen many retrofitted options for that. The spoon calipers may cost more up front than some of the used options but having done through rebuilding a comptech brembo kit I would just buy a new brake kit in the future given the amount of time and money the replacement parts ended up costing.

Thank you Manga! I keep going back and forth on which direction.

I was doing some research regarding brake rotors on the rear to get a vented rotor. It's way to thick but a 2013 civic lx brake rotor "might work". Would take some modification to the caliper brackets and have to turn the rotors down a lot.

B serious 06-10-2019 11:39 AM

2013 civic rear rotors are vented? Or are you planning on using the front rotor?

Sakebomb makes a rear brake upgrade with vented rotors and a RX8 caliper.

Acura RL Advics brakes are CHEAP and also massive.

That combination might work to balance out the brake bias also.

Charper732 06-10-2019 12:56 PM

I make the kits for the TL-S retrofit and Im working on the FK8 retrofit now. Majority of the BBK's out there, you are going to loose a little bit of pedal stiffness when going to a larger caliper. That's just how it is. More fluid is being moved. The only way to offset that is with a larger master cylinder(which I don't know of any)
Sakebomb garage just released a brakebooster adjuster which they claim mimics a larger master cylinder. I have not used it yet though.

RX8 calipers for the rear are a common retrofit.

outeiroj 06-10-2019 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Charper732 (Post 24611040)
I make the kits for the TL-S retrofit and Im working on the FK8 retrofit now. Majority of the BBK's out there, you are going to loose a little bit of pedal stiffness when going to a larger caliper. That's just how it is. More fluid is being moved. The only way to offset that is with a larger master cylinder(which I don't know of any)
Sakebomb garage just released a brakebooster adjuster which they claim mimics a larger master cylinder. I have not used it yet though.

RX8 calipers for the rear are a common retrofit.

@Charper732
have you considered offering the rx8 rear along with the powdercoated tl fronts your currently offer?

I would likely be down for doing a front/rear combo

9KEVERYDAY 06-10-2019 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by B serious (Post 24611005)
2013 civic rear rotors are vented? Or are you planning on using the front rotor?

Sakebomb makes a rear brake upgrade with vented rotors and a RX8 caliper.

Acura RL Advics brakes are CHEAP and also massive.

That combination might work to balance out the brake bias also.

My apologies, I didn't clarify. Yes, It's the 2013 Civic LX FRONT rotors.

I've seen the Sakebomb RX-8 rear brakes and was trying to stick with as much as oe Honda or Acura as much as possible.

I've looked at the RL's as well, but those need a special bracket and Different rotor, correct?

Charper732 06-10-2019 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by outeiroj (Post 24611050)
@Charper732
have you considered offering the rx8 rear along with the powdercoated tl fronts your currently offer?

I would likely be down for doing a front/rear combo

I'm focused on the FK8 w/ 2 piece rotor conversion right now. If I offer a rear conversion in the future, it would probably be with a STI rear brembo caliper.

outeiroj 06-10-2019 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Charper732 (Post 24611065)
I'm focused on the FK8 w/ 2 piece rotor conversion right now. If I offer a rear conversion in the future, it would probably be with a STI rear brembo caliper.

@Charper732
ive had your site saved for a while now (have your roll hoop speakers) and been keeping an eye out for rears. Next year is the year I set aside for brakes/interior/top... hope by then you got something going because I like the use of oem

G2G 06-10-2019 05:07 PM

Get a good set of pads and paint the calipers. That's what I did on my old S2000, used EBC brake pads and some paint off of amazon. I autocrossed the car and the brakes were great. Looked pretty decent with the meisters on them as well.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...85ddbf70b1.jpg