S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Brakes - replace rotors and pads myself?

Old 09-25-2017, 03:52 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Brakes - replace rotors and pads myself?

I've done a fair amount of work on my cars - including engine rebuilds etc. - but never done brakes. Can I replace the rotors and pads on my 02 S myself? Should I use OEM parts? I drive 100% on the street - in a spirited fashion in the hills of Vermont.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:15 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Uh definitely
Old 09-25-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

i'd bump up to using hawk pads instead of oem pads. they offer a bit more bit compared to OEM.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:05 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow...I thought people usually started on brakes and then progressed to engine rebuilds. Yes you can handle it.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by licelsior
i'd bump up to using hawk pads instead of oem pads. they offer a bit more bit compared to OEM.
I'd recommend HP+ over HPS if he isn't driving year round. I am not impressed by the bite of the HPS. HP+ is a bit noisy and dusty though.

Stoptech SP is a great pad for the money. Inexpensive, high max operating temp, good torque, firm pedal feel, easy on rotors, and the dust will rinse right off.

But yes, brakes are very easy.
Two 17mm bolts and the caliper and bracket will come off the knuckle. Use a 12mm to remove the bolts that attach the caliper to the sliding pins. Remove the sliding pins, clean and grease them. You'll need to use an impact driver to remove the rotor retaining screw. Rotor will pop right off. Replace rotor. Replace retaining screws. Attach the bracket to the knuckle. You can use a c-clamp to push the front piston back in. The rear piston can be turned back in with a 3/8 ratchet. Insert pads in bracket, caliper slides right over and you can put the 12mm bolts back in. Be sure to pump the brakes when you start the car to push the pistons back out.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

If you can rebuild an engine doing brakes is peanuts in comparison.

I always get aftermarket rotors and pads, it's not that expensive.
They're a nice upgrade in terms of stopping power and brake fade resistance.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by THMotorsports
You'll need to use an impact driver to remove the rotor retaining screw. Rotor will pop right off.
This is one tool I don't have. Can it be done without?

I've been feeling a slight pulse now and again. Not a major deal right now. But, I see it in my future.

I rebuilt three engines in my youth. Two of them ran strong. One I don't want to talk about.

Never touched a set of brakes except maybe to put new pads in.

Last edited by rpg51; 09-25-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Get one of these
Amazon Amazon
One whack with a hammer and its loose.

ROD
Old 09-25-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

To get rotor screws off by unscrewing them, you for sure 100% need an impact screwdriver. The kind you hit with a hammer (not an impact drill driver).

Brakes are easy. If you don't have a service manual, use the part diagrams on bernardiparts.com to see how everything goes together.

I would choose a cheap brand of plain rotors. They're just rotors. Pick one...don't spend too much effort here.

Choose your pads wisely. Stoptech Sports with the 309 part number are an excellent choice for the street. Once bedded in, the bite is decent. Fade resistance is excellent. And they won't smear the rotor and cause pulsation.

The Raybestos EHT's that I am using on my wife's station wagon have bite and fade resistance like a mild track pad or autocross pad (seriously). A ridiculous amount of bite, as a matter of fact. I love it. I don't know if the S2000 specific compound is as good. But they're amazing on this sportwagon. Moderate amount of dust washes off. No noise.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You will also need a tool to push back the rear pistons. I use one of those cube things without much hassle.

http://images.superstreetonline.com/...ess_piston.jpg

Quick Reply: Brakes - replace rotors and pads myself?