S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Broken weld on Buddy Club seat rail

Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I guess this is quite an old topic but just wanted to chime in. This is definitely the first time and only time I have ever heard of this happening with these rails. I have used them in an EG civic for multiple years with no issues, and know of many other people using them for quite some time with no issues as well, including track days, and plenty of driving that would put them through abuse, including a certain S2K that gets slightly airborne every once in awhile. Are there other people here that have actually had these rails fail like the OP had happen? I have had nothing but great luck with BC stuff from wheels, exhausts, coilovers, and various other parts. The only thing I could ever say negative about any BC parts I have used or have known others to use are that a few of their exhausts can be a bit on the loud side The build quality was always top notch though. I have put even their less expensive cast wheels (SF) through some serious abuse and no problems. Buddy Club customer service has always been top notch for me too.

Definitely can't deny what the OP is showing though. I can confirm that rails purchased quite a few years back (for an EG civic) have the same basic weld points, but I wouldn't say they look as if they haven't penetrated and are unsafe. Interested in seeing if other people have had this actually happen? If the OP reads this, were they working normally when they were mounted? Would they slide backwards and forwards correctly? The BC rails definitely take more adjustment to get working well since each attachment point is adjustable. Would definitely be good to get Buddy Club USA to chime in on this a bit more though.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

many people have this happen on their s2ks, i have mine rewelded
Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Hmm, any other makes or models that you are aware of? Did yours fail in the same way, or did you reweld them up pre-emptively? If that many people are actually having them fail like this I hope they are making BC well aware of it.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old thread new update. I called and spoke with them today and they informed me they have addressed the issue with a new reinforced bracket. Old brackets welds were subject to chassis flex with would cause the welds to fail.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Old thread new update. I called and spoke with them today and they informed me they have addressed the issue with a new reinforced bracket. Old brackets welds were subject to chassis flex with would cause the welds to fail.
When did the new brackets come out? I got mine maybe 6 months ago and it doesn't look any better than pictures i've seen of old ones.
The welds are not complete/solid welds.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 PM

wow i just got my rails in the mail today im gonna check that out
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM

Do not want. Does anyone have a new set of the rails to compare the welds with?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger
Do not want. Does anyone have a new set of the rails to compare the welds with?
New set of rails with exactly the same issue's. Cleaned all the paint from mine and dropped them off in a local engineering place and they are going to weld them up for me.

Im pretty sure if i had of put them in a vice i would of been able to snap them off without much effort. Can even see daylight between the brackets and the slider frame where the brackets haven't been flush before welding.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Got them back from the engineering company today £20 to do the 8 welds. 10x better than what was previously holding the rails together and they still move correctly without fouling any of the additional weld

Just got to clean them up tomorrow and give a quick coat of paint.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM

Well, my friend's car was in an accident with these rails and they held up fine. The car ended up being totaled and severe frame damage. Maybe he lucked out?