S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.
View Poll Results: My intake or the K&N fp-ik
my intake
11.11%
K&N intake fp-ik
88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Building my air intake ?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building my air intake ?

What do you guys think!!!!
Whats better in your opinion???

K&N PF-IK air intake

Or get the scoop http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-2000-2...ht_8600wt_1163 to attach it to the stock air box. gut the stock air box and get a replacemnt k&n air filter http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?Prod=E-2435 and replace the oem air intake hose/tube with http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-S2000-...ht_5128wt_1163 . silicone is better cause it keep the cold air colder than plastic. plastic heats up more . the scoop will bring in cold air from out side vs the K&N that brings in the hotter air from the engine bay . and the K&N air filter allows more air in than the stock air filter .

So what do you think ??????
Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on the results I got from hours of reading those funnels are garbage unless its the one you are using with a spoon front bumper and modded hood. That funnel bottlenecks for the use of an OEM hood, and there have been countless threads where people have mentioned the improved gas mileage but no increase in power at all.

K&N on the other hand seems to be a good choice and its what I plan on getting very soon. I hear nothing but positive feedback from it. Many like the sound but I've also heard that it does well when it comes to actually making a bit of power.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:05 PM

I think the fine people at k&n know what their doing, and for $220 you cant go wrong... but frankly id just save the $200 and spend it on a tire upgrade or a high flow cat and wax/deatil
Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 PM

I already have good tires and a high flow cat and my car is waxed

I don't see how the scoop is bad ? Explain?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Grillo
I already have good tires and a high flow cat and my car is waxed

I don't see how the scoop is bad ? Explain?
I just had this discussion in the ebay thread a page or two from the last but what happens is the air you are taking in is getting bottlenecked where it turns by the hood to go into the intake.

The actual Spoon, Race driven funnel is the one that they use in the race car which requires a Spoon Tai bumper/hood. It's an equal length funnel. Spoon also makes an OEM style funnel for us more passive agressive enthusiasts but based on the design nobody has been able to actually make any power from it.

Just merely better gas mileage and a slight increase in throttle response. The K&N FIPK intake has actually bee proven to not only gain HP by K&N themselves but there have been members here that have gained close to 10whp, and almost 10lbs tq.

I'm currently using a K&N filter in my OEM box and its been said that this will give you up to 6whp but I'm not sure how accurate that info is, Especially on a dyno with the heatsoak that you get from the stock airbox. Despite you having the funnel piece you cannot eliminate the heatsoak we get from the stock airbox.. Try sitting at a light for more than a minute or so and taking off, That spudder isn't bogging or the throttle cable..

Just my 02. Feel free to do your own research. I spent hours looking this stuff up so I thought I'd try and help, but if you're like me and refuse to just believe any guy on a forum that's understandable too. Just be sure to do your homework before you start waisting money on product that will get you nowhere.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:13 PM

thanks man ^^
Old 06-13-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

yes the scoop works. how can i know? ive had my motor replaced 2 times since livin in TX town that has no drainages and i had my factory box and the scoop. after i purchased the k&n intake i also bought this "sock" looks great and repels water now. if u use the factory box, make sure u have somewhere for water to drain out of.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by sdosmil77
yes the scoop works. how can i know? ive had my motor replaced 2 times since livin in TX town that has no drainages and i had my factory box and the scoop. after i purchased the k&n intake i also bought this "sock" looks great and repels water now. if u use the factory box, make sure u have somewhere for water to drain out of.
What did you baseline @ before putting in the snorkel, and how much was the increase afterwards?

Btw, I'm probably not reading this correctly but you said you had your motor replaced two times when you had the scoop and and that it works. Having your motor replaced two times because of it though wouldn't be a great arguement at all.

Hydrolocking your motor is just not worth the expense of a possible couple hp if that. The K&N you have in there alone makes anywhere from 6+whp on the average.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Honestly, why do people think that a snorkel will make any power on a dyno. Is it hard to actually think of how something works- the snorkel directs air into the filter. How is it going to do that when the car is sitting still. The fans they use while on the dyno is to help keep the motor cool, but it in no way mimics the air flow/pressure present at the front of the car while traveling Xmph. The funnel may be bottlenecked near the hood but it still allows air in so it is not like it will rob power.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I say you should get k&n first and then get the funnel later on.

Quick Reply: Building my air intake ?