S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Civic type R brembos direct bolt on for s2k

Old 03-21-2018, 07:29 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
I emailed them to get some clarification. I don't think they would mind me sharing their reply:

Each piston is 40mm in diameter. Rotor thickness is 25mm.

Replacement rotors are $300 a pair.

These are direct bolt on to the Knuckle/hub. No brackets required. Both calipers and rotors are direct fit.

I started a thread here about how bias changes for this and other brake mods.
A "direct bolt-on" after the calipers have been modified (milled?) by Ballade?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
A "direct bolt-on" after the calipers have been modified (milled?) by Ballade?
I dont think the calipers need to be milled. The caliper bolts holes on the brembos are the same distance as the s2000s. The thread size is bigger on the brembos and will need a thread insert. Im not sure if the caliper needs to have shims or spacers to have caliper offset in the right location for it to work. Picture below for reference. I did measure them with a calipers and the hole spacing are identical.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

If that's a picture of the calipers from Ballade then it looks like they were milled down
Old 03-21-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
If that's a picture of the calipers from Ballade then it looks like they were milled down
No, that is my picture. I brought these a while ago from the dealer, before ballade posted their pic. And no they are not additionally milled down, these are how they come straight from dealer.
The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (09-11-2019)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:50 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

That still doesn't clarify if they machine the calipers to fit, or if they are bolt on as is from civic.

They say direct fit, and no brackets needed, but that doesn't mean they didn't machine them first before shipping them.

In other words do they mean direct fit right outta the box from Honda, or direct fit right outta the box from Ballade?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
That still doesn't clarify if they machine the calipers to fit, or if they are bolt on as is from civic.

They say direct fit, and no brackets needed, but that doesn't mean they didn't machine them first before shipping them.

In other words do they mean direct fit right outta the box from Honda, or direct fit right outta the box from Ballade?
That's what i thought but i'm sure they word it that way specific for their kit. I'm sure its not a true bolt on. I asked them if I already had the calipers would i just need their big rotor kit to finish the brakes...

Hi Steven,
Unfortunately, it would not work simply like that. We have modified a whole kit to work for the S2000. What we can do is give you a credit for your calipers if they are brand new, undamaged condition, to make you a kit. You'd be looking at $899.99 if you shipped us your calipers and we sell you a complete kit direct fit for the S2000.

So yeah looks like they do some type of modification to the caliper. Sucks too because I can get them cheap from my work.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So as stated from before what was the point in this exercise so you can say you have ctr brakes? I would much rather have the StopTechs over these and the difference is a few hundred. You still are short pads on this setup. I just never understood any of the stuff they put out just looks like a cash grab imo, but whatever works for the buyers.
If people looking for the JDM bling there is a rumor spoon is rereleasing their caliper with a true BBK this year.
The following users liked this post:
S2kAndTheAnt (03-24-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ap2yellow
So as stated from before what was the point in this exercise so you can say you have ctr brakes? I would much rather have the StopTechs over these and the difference is a few hundred. You still are short pads on this setup. I just never understood any of the stuff they put out just looks like a cash grab imo, but whatever works for the buyers.
If people looking for the JDM bling there is a rumor spoon is rereleasing their caliper with a true BBK this year.

For me it was because I can get them for 240 bucks and thought it was a true bolt on. Just need rotors and pads, I'm sure it's better than our stock setup.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ap2yellow
One advantage is that the rotors and pads for this would be significantly less than for Stoptech. e.g. Stoptech rings are double the cost of Ballad replacement rotors $600 vs. 300. I am not saying I'd choose this option over Stoptech as there's the question if Ballad will be around to provide rotors in the future, just saying that the purchase price of a BBK is only one factor in the real world cost of an upgrade.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bruthaboost
^What he said. Additionally, I've seen stoptech BBK with one piece rotors advertised for 1300 . Also, the pads for Stoptech will be cheaper than the brembos. With two pad changes, you've lost most of your money savings over the stoptech.

More importantly, is the brake bias maintained?
Regarding brake bias, Stoptech calipers are engineered to work perfectly with the S2k braking system.... I got a strong feeling they just got this to fit on an S2k and sent it straight to market + some marketing how they took the car to a track event and it ran XXX time!

Quick Reply: Civic type R brembos direct bolt on for s2k