S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Cluster Gauge Bulbs

Old 10-06-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I did this job this evening.
Thanks everyone who provided some information. The bulbs I got were the correct ones and the instructions here helped a ton.
The biggest PITA was loosening the bolts at the bottom of the steering collumn... and getting the surround (vents etc) back in place. But the tape around the signal lever saved my ass.
All in all it took me about 1.5 hours taking my time. Next time I could prob do it in less than an hour. All lights in the gauge are now working - I replaced them all and they seem a bit brighter.
Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2018, 12:47 AM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

I plan on doing something similar soon. I had originally wanted to do a QUBE conversion but the more I drive my car I realize that I appreciate most of the stock aesthetics. I had originally purchased an ap2 cluster bezel to replace my silver ap1s...opted to keep the ap1. Also bought an ap2 center console to replace the ap1, ended up liking the ap1 more; the ap2 with the little "tray" surrounding the shifter bezel that's all squared off just looks like an afterthought to me.

Anyways getting back on topic... I plan to refresh all of my control and gauge bulbs with the corresponding size wedge LEDs. Luckily the parts can be cross-referenced. I'll even be taking measurements with a caliper to ensure this as a lot of the equivalent bulbs have dimensions. I'll be in there anyway replacing the front cluster face as mine has a crack, so I might as well do some preventative maintenance by replacing filament-based bulbs with ones with a cleaner, brighter output and more pronounced coloring vs incandescent bulbs. Equivalent LEDs are probably the same cost, maybe a little more depending, but if I'm paying nearly $5+ per at the dealer for filament bulbs I'll just do LEDs instead.

I've been doing research and have found a lot of the original bulbs and cross-referenced them with their corresponding LED counterparts. There's plenty of threads on the subject but nothing absolutely definitive and comparative. I plan to cross-reference every bulb in the AP1 cluster/controls with a proper LED counterpart in terms of color hue, size (length-wise, contact base is obligatory). I know that the S2k is a dated platform at this point; I'm just surprised by the lack of apparent information as people have done stuff like this before but haven't documented it or were very vague. The little details matter.

Last edited by Kyle; 10-07-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bump! Do it! I too have looked into the LED conversion, but wasn’t interested in the QUBE setup... if you’re able to supply the info, I’ll definitely be sure to follow suit
Old 10-07-2018, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jae2K
Bump! Do it! I too have looked into the LED conversion, but wasn’t interested in the QUBE setup... if you’re able to supply the info, I’ll definitely be sure to follow suit
Absolutely. Don’t get me wrong, the QUBE setup
is very nice, and at first I said I was definitely going to run it, but now that I’ve taken the time to enjoy the car I’m realizing that less is more at this stage in my life. 5-10 years ago I would’ve been replacing everything I possibly could’ve for just the sake of doing so....now I’ve learned to leave most stuff alone aside from minor changes and refreshing.

Stay tuned. I’ll see if I can get this done within the next few weeks, time permitting.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jae2K
Yeah unfortunately the cluster idea is a bust. The main portion that illuminates the entire tachometer and speedometer section is just 5 bulbs and various reflector bowls. LEDs have an inherent issue of being uni-directional, and also very harsh, so typically when you just really need ambient light radiating to light an overall area LEDs just aren't going to do it. I did my best to source LEDs that supposedly were "wide-angle" illumination and they ended up hot-spotting horribly. These weren't even very bright @ 35 lumens a pop, but it's just a no go. Plus they're way too sensitive to voltage changes; when they dimmed for lights on they were way too dim. Here's some pics below to get an overall idea of what was going on, starting from stock, some comparisons, and then full LED. All other bulbs are easily do-able with LED as they're only illuminating indicators which have their own dedicated bulb....it's only when you get into shared duty do LEDs really flop.

I think I'm just going to leave the cluster well enough alone. If I was going to do LED I'd do QUBE, and I'm still undecided on that route. LEDs in the HVAC & radio controls are fine, but I heard of issues with the HVAC controls being too dim, even with the taller Type B bulbs. Between getting all of my buttons and switches done and the QUBE cluster I'd be looking at close to $600.....I'm fine with spending cash but I like the stock cluster enough to not bother with it.

Sorry man, I tried. Better me than you.

Last edited by Kyle; 10-23-2018 at 11:27 PM.