S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Clutch pedal plastic grommet

Old 06-13-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch pedal plastic grommet

There's a plastic grommet that goes in the red circle in the attached picture. My question is what's it for? I'm not sure how long it's been since the piece fell out but I haven't noticed anything weird with the car.

In this thread you can see the white plastic piece that's missing in my pic.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are two clutch switches on that pedal. One is for Cruise Control - when you press the pedal the CC disengages. The other is the Interlock switch, which enables the ignition/starter to click over only when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Top one (I) is the Interlock
Bottom on (B) is for the cruise control

Old 06-15-2015, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Photo

There's a plastic grommet that goes in the red circle in the attached picture. My question is what's it for? I'm not sure how long it's been since the piece fell out but I haven't noticed anything weird with the car.

In this thread you can see the white plastic piece that's missing in my pic.
The switch pushes down on the grommet to enable/trigger the switch. That would be the cruise control switch so that if you're driving and you push down on the clutch, the cruise control will disengage automatically.

It's a safety feature and I would recommend you get it replaced.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can this cause your car to not start? I know it’s a silly question but about an hour ago I drove my car, working completely fine. I get back in it and now it won’t start. I saw a bunch of plastic pieces on the floor and saw this groomer was missing
Old 08-24-2018, 03:36 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Clutch must be depressed to start the car so lack of this grommet will do what you describe.

-- Chuck
Old 08-24-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 1,309 Likes on 990 Posts

Three year old unrelated thread bump, but whatever.

The grommet in the photo at the top of this old thread is for the cruise control interlock grommet. The other switch is the starter interlock, and has its own grommet.

As already mentioned by others, if your plastic is from the clutch starter interlock grommet, that would prevent your car from starting. It would be exactly like if you tried to start the car but forgot to press the clutch pedal.

As a temp fix until you can replace the grommet, you could do any of the following work arounds to be able to start the car: (important, with either of the first two of these workarounds, if you accidentally leave the car in gear, it will take off on start and crash into whatever is the most expensive thing nearby. Always make sure its in neutral first!)

Bypass the interlock switch. You can search for many diy on how to do this, but basically its temporarily remove electrical plug from the back of the interlock switch, and stick a piece of wire or paper clip into the two leads of the removed plug, so they are connected to together. Now the car will start.

Rig something up so that the interlock switch is always pressed. Like tape it down or something.

Make a spacer of some sort and fix it in place with like duct tape or whatever so that it presses on the switch like normal.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

46505-SA5-000 Clutch Pedal Stop Pad at any Honda dealer, it's common to dozens of Hondas.

-- Chuck
Old 08-11-2019, 05:45 PM

Hey guys so this just happen to my car, I attached a photo of how mine look cause it seems like it still has the plastic grommet on it but the brake lights are still on. Unless I have the wrong section lol
Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bryans914
Hey guys so this just happen to my car, I attached a photo of how mine look cause it seems like it still has the plastic grommet on it but the brake lights are still on. Unless I have the wrong section lol
Clutch switch has nothing to do with brake lights. Check the switch on the brake pedal (green/silver with white harness clip). It uses the same plastic bumper, and yours does not appear to have one.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:59 PM

Default Start without pressing clutch

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Three year old unrelated thread bump, but whatever.

The grommet in the photo at the top of this old thread is for the cruise control interlock grommet. The other switch is the starter interlock, and has its own grommet.

As already mentioned by others, if your plastic is from the clutch starter interlock grommet, that would prevent your car from starting. It would be exactly like if you tried to start the car but forgot to press the clutch pedal.

As a temp fix until you can replace the grommet, you could do any of the following work arounds to be able to start the car: (important, with either of the first two of these workarounds, if you accidentally leave the car in gear, it will take off on start and crash into whatever is the most expensive thing nearby. Always make sure its in neutral first!)

Bypass the interlock switch. You can search for many diy on how to do this, but basically its temporarily remove electrical plug from the back of the interlock switch, and stick a piece of wire or paper clip into the two leads of the removed plug, so they are connected to together. Now the car will start.

Rig something up so that the interlock switch is always pressed. Like tape it down or something.

Make a spacer of some sort and fix it in place with like duct tape or whatever so that it presses on the switch like normal.
My car starts normally without pressing down the clutch pedal, how is this possible with what you said?If the rubber piece was broken then it wouldnt start at all. My car is 04 and it doesnt have cc so i gues maybe they use the first lower sensor to know if the clutch pedal is pressed so if its broken then its like its always pressed?

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal plastic grommet