S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Modifications and Parts (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/)
-   -   Coilovers or Header back exhaust system (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/coilovers-header-back-exhaust-system-1198054/)

nen 10-31-2019 09:26 PM

Coilovers or Header back exhaust system

Hey guys, I've had my S for a little over half a year and I wanna start prepping it for a supercharger in the late future. Anyways, she's an 05 and bone stock besides an OEM style carbon hardtop. I've been stuck between getting Fortune Auto Coilovers or a Buddy Club spec 2 w/ a HFC. $1500 set of coilovers vs $700 exhaust system.

I honestly would just like to know what YOU would get first between these two, given the circumstances that you're a college student working a job. I myself am leaning towards a set coilovers first and I don't mind waiting a little longer to save some money. ty for your opinions!

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-31-2019 10:15 PM

Neither, and just save your money.

Your coilover options are basically a downgrade compared to stock, and the exhaust system don't do a whole lot.

RogueMotorsports 10-31-2019 10:30 PM

Skip the fortune auto coils and go with HKS hipermax

B serious 11-01-2019 03:49 AM

I would get coilovers first.

A spec 2 is the loudest, most vile sounding shit I've ever heard. Why anyone would spend $700 on literally a pipe is beyond me.

Shit, actually...give me the $500. I sell steel pipes for LE$$, bro. You can't afford NOT to buy that shit from me.

Is the money just burning a hole in your pocket, though?

spaded.racer 11-01-2019 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by B serious (Post 24658073)
I would get coilovers first.

A spec 2 is the loudest, most vile sounding shit I've ever heard. Why anyone would spend $700 on literally a pipe is beyond me.

Shit, actually...give me the $500. I sell steel pipes for LE$$, bro. You can't afford NOT to buy that shit from me.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...d90954bfa6.png

Also wait for one of the vendors to run a Black Friday sale and pick up a set of Ohlins DFV instead of the the Fortune Autos.

Car Analogy 11-01-2019 06:02 AM

Fortune Auto aren't bad. Ohlins is certainly better. HKS are on par with FA. Its opinion which of those last two is better. Any of these would be an upgrade from worn stock suspension. But I agree stock stuff is darn good and only the Ohlins is far and away an upgrade to good condition stock stuff.

A supercharger doesn't need an exhaust. Its only going to help if you are trying to push the limits of how much psi this platform can handle, and even then only help a tiny bit.

The HFC will definitely help though. Significantly. The exhaust is just noise (and slight weight savings). If you are planning to supercharge, just do the uk mod for sound. Size the pipe based on how loud you want to go. Or even do a muffler delete if you want louder.

So my vote is HFC now, a real suspension upgrade later when the stock stuff wears out.

Meanwhile you'll probably need a clutch upgrade to hold the supercharged hp. All stock with an Act pressure plate is usually enough if your hp goals are not reaching for the stars. Save your pennies for a clutch job. It doesn't make sense to do all that work and not change tbe other clutch stuff too.

Resist the urge to 'upgrade' the clutch other than pp, unless you are going for stratospheric hp.

engifineer 11-01-2019 06:53 AM

Most important question is what are you doing with the car? Daily? hard parking in a car show? Autocross? Track days? Live in the mountains and like to enjoy twisty roads? etc

B serious 11-01-2019 06:53 AM

Making smart decisions is important.

I think the Buddy Club is 60 or 65mm? Where's the upgrade?

Whether or not the FA or Ohlins is better than OEM is kind of an impossible distinction. Better how? If the guy is just trying to lower his car...then yeah, the FA is infinitely better than the OEM suspension. The OEM suspension has 0 adjustment. The FA has tons of adjustment.

If he's trying to race the car in a very restrictive series...then the OEM suspension is potentially better.

He's not racing anything. He wants to lower the car for dopeness. Like we all did when we were young and not boring asf.

clubhopper 11-01-2019 07:02 AM

save a little more and get the ohlins...they will transform your car in all the best ways possible, on track and the street.

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-01-2019 08:14 AM

Man, times have changed. When I was in college, I was eating instant ramen and making rounds at Costco samples. Now people be upgrading their cars.