S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

converting to rhd

Old 10-02-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I daily drive a rhd s2000 in a lhd drive country and it's really not that bad. Even with how crazy people are down here... you get used to it really quickly. Living down here in Panama, though, all of the tolls are all speed pass (electronically scanned) and the fast food places aren't really worth even eating at. Even the typical chain restaurants. The looks you get are funny though. I'd say the hardest part is merging from right lines into oncoming traffic to the left lanes with the blind spots in our side mirrors. I plan on buying a set of convex Moddiction side view mirror replacements to help remedy this personally.

When the car eventually turns 25 in 2025 (2000 model), I plan on importing it back home to the states. I agree that it's really not worth all the hassle, especially considering I've now owned both a rhd and lhd model. If you want the rhd wow factor, I'd say pick a car more unique than a rhd s2000 since there really isn't much different other than maybe a slightly higher compression ratio, corner lights and fender lights and you can swap all that for MUCH less than swapping the firewall.

But to answer, can it be done? yes... I've seen a lhd to rhd swap in orlando I think it was.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
No. From what I have read there is no differentiation in the eyes of the import laws. The car must be 25 years old or meet the "show or display" approval basically meaning it is an extremely rare car. International Vehicle Importers they have a number of good articles and info on this exact subject. I follow them on facebook and they often post about this.
Argh, apologies for my chopped sentence and pathetic grammar checking. Surprised you made any sense of it lol.

I guess that the only positive we Aussies have over Americans. We can import any car as long as it not going to be registered. Meanwhile i still have to eBay parts from the US as even with a terrible exchange rates, its still cheaper to buy and ship from the US.......
Old 10-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by MatosS2k
If you have to ask how hard, you're not even remotely close. It's also not worth it in any way, shape, or form. Ruining a car for JDM yo! factor is a silly mod IMO. Also expensive, dangerous, and uncomfortable in a LHD country.

Actually, you can bring a new car in for racing purposes but you can never register it for road use. Some states will allow you to do do, but realistically it isn't Federally legal and you can have the car impounded and receive a fine if stopped by a federal agent.
You can also bring in a car if it was sold here, but if the steering was on the opposite side you need a letter from the manufacturer stating it meets the same crash ratings... which no manufacturer will ever give you. I spent a long time reading all the laws in
order to bring a Skyline GTR over back before the R32 hit 25 years.
They really cracked down on this stuff due to the motorex ordeal however especially on GTR's. There does also seem to be some state loop holes however those don't override the federal legality of having the car and it could be impounded for that reason. In reading about it myself it does seem there is a way to bring a car in specifically for racing however racing and track days aren't really the same thing. I am sure with deep enough pockets and endless time you could maybe make something work but to do through all of that to just have the same car we already have with the steering wheel on the opposite side seems pretty pointless.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:06 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Bruunz
Argh, apologies for my chopped sentence and pathetic grammar checking. Surprised you made any sense of it lol.

I guess that the only positive we Aussies have over Americans. We can import any car as long as it not going to be registered. Meanwhile i still have to eBay parts from the US as even with a terrible exchange rates, its still cheaper to buy and ship from the US.......
Does that still cost a silly amount of money? The cost of stuff there is nuts I couldn't believe it when I was there a few years ago.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

I guess we are a little fortunate up here in Canada, we have a 15 year law for most of the country on importing JDM cars. US based new and used parts are also cheaper but will cost you some $$$ to broker if they need to be, but still a little less expensive.

RHD cars are not an easy sell with the inflated insurance costs and hoop jumping, recently tried to sell one(Honda Integra GSR) but did not have much luck.

Keep your car LHD and be happy to have it.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Does that still cost a silly amount of money? The cost of stuff there is nuts I couldn't believe it when I was there a few years ago.
Still the same.... I regret not buying all these OEM parts 6 years ago when our dollar was stronger than the USD. It was $1.10 once.... Headlights... ballast..... taillights... hardtop... CR wing.... sigh...
All i got was a Robbins top at the time.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Hfreak
I guess we are a little fortunate up here in Canada, we have a 15 year law for most of the country on importing JDM cars. US based new and used parts are also cheaper but will cost you some $$$ to broker if they need to be, but still a little less expensive.

RHD cars are not an easy sell with the inflated insurance costs and hoop jumping, recently tried to sell one(Honda Integra GSR) but did not have much luck.

Keep your car LHD and be happy to have it.

if I was in Canada I would be seriously considing buying an R34 and holding it till they become legal in the US. The prices are already getting high and when they hit 25 years and are able to be imported to the US the price will skyrocket.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ap1batman
how hard is it to convert an ap1 to rhd and how much would it cost and aside from the rhd clip what else would I need to successfully convert it ? any info is greatly appreciated thank you
If you aren't including the price of the front clip, assuming that it's complete with wiring harness, a/c etc. and you have a source from Japan for parts.... And want quality work... I'd say somewhere around $7k-$10k depending on the shops labor rate and cost of paint.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They really cracked down on this stuff due to the motorex ordeal however especially on GTR's. There does also seem to be some state loop holes however those don't override the federal legality of having the car and it could be impounded for that reason. In reading about it myself it does seem there is a way to bring a car in specifically for racing however racing and track days aren't really the same thing. I am sure with deep enough pockets and endless time you could maybe make something work but to do through all of that to just have the same car we already have with the steering wheel on the opposite side seems pretty pointless.
Seriously pointless for the same car! The motorex situation followed by people bringing in the R33 GTR willy nilly led one of the big wigs at NHTSA to limit legality to 1995 R33 GTRs if I remember correctly. 95s are not easy to come by.

if I was in Canada I would be seriously considing buying an R34 and holding it till they become legal in the US. The prices are already getting high and when they hit 25 years and are able to be imported to the US the price will skyrocket.
People here in SoFlo are already trying to get 100k for one of them. Not won't be worth the money, especially once they hit that 25 year mark and are ultra behind on tech, old looking, and raggedy. With 100k or less, I can have a new, loaded C7 Z06, any number of used Ferraris, a Gallardo, Vipers, Aston Martin, an R35 GTR, heck I can get a used Maserati for 30k. I'd take those all day over something most people except JDM car guys WILL confuse for an old Sentra... FLAME SUIT ON!!!!
Old 10-04-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MatosS2k
Not won't
Won't*