S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Current AP1 "OEM style" front lip solutions?

Old 11-06-2018, 12:44 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
But why 2?
I live in New England. We have plenty of crappy roads....I'd imagine it's inevitable that something stupid happens and I grenade a lip; my fault or not.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:54 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
I live in New England. We have plenty of crappy roads....I'd imagine it's inevitable that something stupid happens and I grenade a lip; my fault or not.
Ah that makes sense. Call it insurance...albeit pricey insurance. Props to you man hehe.
I'm struggling to spot differences in the above yellow and white cars' lips but I suppose my eyes are as yet 'untrained'. Yes I'd like OEM signed, sealed and delivered in a genuine Honda box but I ain't spending $800 - not with my supercharger build pending that can benefit from those funds greatly. That being said I don't mind that yellow car's lip with an OEM weather strip.......
Old 11-06-2018, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Ah that makes sense. Call it insurance...albeit pricey insurance. Props to you man hehe.
I'm struggling to spot differences in the above yellow and white cars' lips but I suppose my eyes are as yet 'untrained'. Yes I'd like OEM signed, sealed and delivered in a genuine Honda box but I ain't spending $800 - not with my supercharger build pending that can benefit from those funds greatly. That being said I don't mind that yellow car's lip with an OEM weather strip.......
My time and patience is limited....I'd much rather it fit without a hitch than piss around with fitting it properly....For a body guy to do it for me it would probably cost around the same vs just scuffing and squirting an OEM lip, to get it filled, leveled & painted. It's essentially more cost effective for me to eat the heavy buy-in cost vs. doing the work myself in terms of time & dollars.

As far as OEM vs rep I'm not really buying the debate. Deckoz' car looks amazing for a 50 dollar lip that he worked himself.....I'd be more than happy with the results if I could achieve it.....I think people just like the "prestige" of OEM rarity ....some of the snarky comments in this thread comparing OEM to reps is just downright deplorable lol....I'd be ashamed of myself....but I'm gonna leave that well enough alone.
The following users liked this post:
99MCoupe (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 03:47 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
My time and patience is limited....I'd much rather it fit without a hitch than piss around with fitting it properly....For a body guy to do it for me it would probably cost around the same vs just scuffing and squirting an OEM lip, to get it filled, leveled & painted. It's essentially more cost effective for me to eat the heavy buy-in cost vs. doing the work myself in terms of time & dollars.

As far as OEM vs rep I'm not really buying the debate. Deckoz' car looks amazing for a 50 dollar lip that he worked himself.....I'd be more than happy with the results if I could achieve it.....I think people just like the "prestige" of OEM rarity ....some of the snarky comments in this thread comparing OEM to reps is just downright deplorable lol....I'd be ashamed of myself....but I'm gonna leave that well enough alone.
Fair enough.

Agreed. I'd be happy as well if I buy a $50 lip and it ends up looking as clean as Deckoz's one. I love the prestige of genuine OEM and more so premium aftermarket JDM brands but in some cases it becomes unnecessary especially in the AP1 OEM lip category where the lip is so rare and very pricey. If you can get it (like you did) then by all means go for it but if funds can be better spent elsewhere then getting a decent affordable rep is more wise IMHO. I would not turn down a clean second hand OEM lip though!
Old 11-06-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
I think low looks better than higher, i can push it up, but i pulled it down. look at the last picture, you can really see how the bottom lines of the air ducts point upward and not inward in line with the bottom line of the center air damn. with the lip pushed up against the center air damn you can REALLY tell that the air ducts don't point the same path.

so pushed up looks really wrong to me.. because it highlights not being symmetrical/parallel. where the drop gives the illusion of the air dam and ducts being parallel.

hey to each their own.
I completely agree Deckoz. I think the lip looks really good BTW.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

that shit is wavier than jermaine jackson's hair.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:19 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
​​​​​​you realize that picture was taken at 30ft with a cellphone ay full zoom?

the bottom is just darkness/reflections from being so far from the lens, and the lighting angle.

the top edge is because I can't put on the weatherstripping straight, so I left it until a new roll came in so I can try again. Thanks for calling out my not so steady thumb. Ill still take my $41 vs your $800, because It would likely take me a couple times to get the weather stripping straight on OEM too.

​Here gaze upon my shitty weather stripping job i was planning to redo.​​​​​​

Your lip looks great for what you paid, but even in those close up pictures you can clearly see that it's wavy and doesn't fit as tight as OEM.

The replica and authentic lips are made out of different materials (ABS plastic versus polyurethane), they come from different molds and are never going to fit identically. Poly is a more flexible material which in this case doesn't work as well because there is no support on the front side of the lip. It's only secured from the bottom and the side points, there is no support anywhere across the top or the face of the lip which is why the replicas tend to sag and not sit as high as the OEM.

If you want it to fit perfect fork up the cash for the OEM. If 90% of the fitment for 5% of the price is good enough for you then go for one of the replicas. That's really what this boils down to.
S2GARAGENYC (11-07-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I posted a pic of my car with my OEM lip in this thread to make others aware that it is still possible to purchase this part for the S2000. Hendy Honda in the UK has them for sale and they even posted on instagram about it earlier this year.

As for my pic, the lip is mounted on the bumper in the correct orientation. I am not sure why one member thinks it is pushed up too high? I have all mounting brackets secured. Maybe the angle of the iPhone camera made one think it is too high? There is no wiggle room for error with an OEM lip. It fits exactly how it was engineered.

A little tip about the OEM molding I learned after installing my lip: a slippery solution used for a clay bar makes it a lot easier to install.

Here are a couple other photos taken this fall of my car with my iPhone with the OEM lip:

330R (11-13-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 08:25 PM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Your lip isn't pushed up too high, that's how the OEM lip sits. He's absolutely wrong and he's just trying to stir the pot.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:43 AM

Quick Reply: Current AP1 "OEM style" front lip solutions?