DIY Catch Can (Version 2) - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Catch Can (Version 2)

Old 03-03-2019, 06:38 PM

Default DIY Catch Can (Version 2)

Sup guys,

As promised, I have completed the second version of my DIY catch can! In case you haven't seen the first version, you can find it here. I figured this time I'd also give a little more background info as well.

What is a catch can?
The purpose of a catch can, otherwise known as an oil separator, is to capture stray crankcase vapors (blowby) and allow them to condense into a liquid for later disposal. Normally, these vapors pass through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold, partially coating the manifold with a nasty layer of blowby and partially entering the combustion chamber to be burned off. By adding a catch can, you can keep your intake manifold nice and clean. Keep in mind that boosted vehicles will produce exponentially more blowby due to the much higher pressures in the combustion chamber wanting to force vapors past the piston rings.

There are two types of catch cans--recirculating and non-recirculating. Recirculating catch cans use the following vapor path: Valve cover -> catch can -> intake manifold. This design is legal in some states, though no matter how good the design you will still get some blowby into the intake manifold. Non-recirculating catch cans use the following vapor path: Valve cover -> catch can -> atmosphere. This design spares your intake manifold, though you can still get vapors deposited in your engine bay if the design is inefficient. Both my catch cans are of the non-recirculating variety.

Why is this version better than the first?
  1. It took way less time to make due to a much simpler design. Version 1 was complete overkill and was way fancier than it needed to be.
  2. It's way smaller. Honestly, I hardly produce any blowby even running 12psi with the SOS supercharger kit.
  3. It's way lighter. This follows from #2, and I've saved about a pound of weight!
Enough blabbing--on to the goodies!
Like the previous version, this catch can is constructed of polycarbonate sheeting--mainly 1/8'' with a few 1/4'' pieces. It is filled with copper pest control netting for surface area and solvent welded with methylene chloride.

Here's what it looks like installed:

And here you can see the weight difference:

Anyways, that's all I got.

Cheers!
~T
Old 03-05-2019, 05:14 PM

Nice write up
would make one too but just don't have the materials to make the clear can/box myself
Old 03-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Thanks man! I got this done for real cheap--I'd say less than $40. Compared to the Radium catch can at almost $200 I'd say it's definitely worth the effort