S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

DIY fiberglass painting

Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjschrage,Feb 2 2009, 03:26 PM
i wanted that piece so bad, but I couldnt make the time to go and get it, nice grab!

You should be able to get it painted for under 300.00 easy, take it to a couple Maco's of local shops and ask for a good price. A shop around me was willing to paint my entire roof for 200.00, take your time, someone out there will let you name your price.

Option #2 DIY

Why would you worry about matching your color, there are a bunch of sites online that offer color matching paint in all different kinds of application methods. No need to sand or any of that junk, just a few good primer coats ($20), three coats of your cars color match paint (aerosol 3-5 cans ~ 60-100.00), and them hit it with a couple clears. Two hours or less and you will be finished (its really easy.) Let it dry for 12hrs
macco=in and out in half a day, there's no way in hell you can get everything done the professional way. they will hit it with a DA for 15 minute and paint that thing without any prep. that's why their stuff peels off in a year or two(generally accepted assumption)
i charge more for material alone than their whole paint job with labor lol

again, rattle can vs 2k debate.

YES, rattle can is cheaper but if you spend 4 days and 20 hour prepping it right, don't you want the finish to be much more durable?

painting/primer/clears takes little to no time, you pay more for teh labor alone.

if the money is tight then i guess you should go for the rattle bomb but also factor in the additional labor to remove all the rattle bomb stuff after they faded, go bad

it's all breaks down the moola an priority
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM

compressor: 60-80 gallon for a whole car paint job(25-50 for a panel work), 5hp ish on 240v(hose, fitting, fitler, reg, dryer)

guns: primer:1.4 to 1.8 nozzle, clear/paint: 1.4-1.2(iwata, devilbiss, sata)

block: mid flex, stiff, flex

you might need a small DA sander, full face 3m "mask" with extra filter
Old 02-03-2009, 03:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wow thanks for the great description iam7head.

this sounds a little out of my league for this to turn out good.

granted its not something I would have on all day every day, as this is my DD and i live in philly so the weather isnt always the best.

at the same time its a nice piece so i should get it done right. one of the first quotes i got was 600 so that kinda scared me off haha
Old 02-03-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by suprmonky73,Feb 3 2009, 04:42 AM
wow thanks for the great description iam7head.

this sounds a little out of my league for this to turn out good.

granted its not something I would have on all day every day, as this is my DD and i live in philly so the weather isnt always the best.

at the same time its a nice piece so i should get it done right. one of the first quotes i got was 600 so that kinda scared me off haha
remember not all paint job is the same

a qt of omni/shopline(low grade) is no where near the price of a qt of chromabase/ppg dbc

the price varies quite alot, like i said before, cheaper job might skim over steps like sealer, adhesive promotor,etc

ask them exactly what they use and what they have laying around.

may i asking what is the current condition of the piece? pits and bumps will need to factor in more labor time also.

if they charge you more because they say its a complex shape, go to another shop

good luck, and you are welcome, lmk if you need more opinions on it

ps: btw a nice intense red is the MOST expensive color(beside doing a pearl/mica, etc), the brighiness of the red require a better base coverage so it will not look pink'ish.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey you pick it up from Ray (S factor)?