S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Modifications and Parts (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/)
-   -   DIY: Install Spoon Sports Hydro Mirror (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/diy-install-spoon-sports-hydro-mirror-664718/)

tronvex 01-19-2009 01:07 PM

DIY: Install Spoon Sports Hydro Mirror

20 Attachment(s)
Just receive my order of Spoon Sports Hydro Mirror from Kamispeed, Adam. Great buy price and fast shipment.

Tools:
Mech Gloves
Eye Protection
Suction Cup
Plastic board (thin like a old credit card)
Hair blow dryer

I read several bits and pieces on how to install the mirrors since the instruction is only in Japanese. :hello:
But here is what I did to install the mirror and so far so good. Enjoy

Attachment 122296

The package you'll get will have two blue tinted mirror, a small suction cup, and the Japanese instruction. Inspect the mirror make sure there is no defects or that it have been broken during the shipment.

Attachment 122297

Go to the S, it would be better if it is a hot day and it have been sitting out for a while. This the white goo glue will be easy to work with when pulling of the OEM mirrors. Make sure you wear your mitts, mech gloves work great just in case you accidental crack the mirror.

You could push the upper part of the mirror in so the bottom part stick out or use the actuator control on inside to move it. Either way you chose as long the bottom part is sticking out, the passenger is tricky because only a small part will stick out.

Attachment 122298

Pull the mirror with the housing out toward you, move side to side if you have too. If the goo glue is not giving then bring out a hair dryer blower and just apply the heat on the mirror. Try again, it might take some time but it only me one try. Once you get the bottom part to stick out, pull down at a 45 degree. There you have it, and now repeat on the other side.

Attachment 122298
Attachment 122300

Take you mirrors to a work station so you can now remove the OEM glass. Place it where the you can see yourself and now grab the hair blow dryer. I didn't use my heat gun because the temperature would be to much plus if everyone should have one.

Attachment 122301
Attachment 122302

You'll feel that the mirror glass have some play and the plastic housing is flimsy enough to pull over the glass. Try to get a small opening to slip in a plastic board in this case I use my health insurance mailing card. Push it in and work it around the mirror, you'll be separating the two parts. Repeat to the other side.

Attachment 122303
Attachment 122304
Attachment 122302

Now you should have two parts, the mirror housing and the glass mirror it self.

Attachment 122306

Take the suction cup and pick up the Spoon Sports Hydro mirror that correspond with the housing. Peal the back wax tissue and place the mirror into the housing, it will fit right in because it smaller. Press gently on the mirror that way it have contact with the goo glue and the housing. Use the hair blow dryer to heat it up a little and align the mirror that it sit inside correctly. Repeat to other side.

Attachment 122307
Attachment 122308
Attachment 122309

Allow it to cool down and it should look like this.

Attachment 122310
Attachment 122311
Attachment 122312

To install, slide the top part in either a 45 degree angle or a 90 degree. Fold the housing down so the clip matches with the holes. Like before you can use the actuator down before you push it in. Push gently, you might have to apply pressure on one side first and then work to the other side. You should hear a popping sound, while doing this make sure you are wearing mech gloves and some kind of eye protection. Repeat to the other side.

Then you should have something like this.

Attachment 122313
Attachment 122314
Attachment 122315

I save this for last.
I bought the mirror not to be cool or tune my car to be Spoon Sports. I did it as a daily driver it is tough to see the car along side you. Plus I drive back home at night and the car is low so I'm always blinded by everyone headlights. Hopefully this will make driving more safely on the highway. Next mod would be the Gentex auto dimming rear view mirror.

tronvex 01-19-2009 01:08 PM

The Spoon Hydro Mirrors won't fit on top of the OEM mirrors due to the convex so this is the best method of installing the mirror.

bori4life 01-22-2009 03:37 AM

:hello: i like them... good write up

kambodianboi 01-22-2009 02:45 PM

Thinking of getting a set! Good stuff!

IlleztImportz 01-22-2009 03:01 PM

:hello: great writeup tronvex

tronvex 01-22-2009 10:08 PM

Thank you guys

daktruckie99 01-23-2009 06:03 AM

Great mirrors. I love mine :hello:

gumbercules 01-24-2009 11:00 PM

very nice. i like those a lot. let us know how the work out.

tekstar 01-25-2009 12:04 AM

nice write up :hello: these mirrors definitely help with blind spots and reducing glare!

tronvex 01-25-2009 09:11 AM

The mirror are great, I can see 1 1/2 lane over making easier to see any car behind you. The draw back is every other car seem smaller due to the convex shape, just have to use good judgment or glance back to make sure you clear. The blue tint really reduce glare, cars with HID headlights don't bother me anymore. It one great safety mod that will help you get the bigger picture behind you.