S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

DIY: TL Brembo Caliper Conversion

Old 06-17-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Mr. Grieb, just a heads up so you don't run into a catastrophic failure, when milling ~7.5mm the metal on the ears breaks through to the other side. I discovered this last week when we were milling the calipers to get them centered on the rotors. I'm not sure how much force it would take to break or crack the ears completely but I would HIGHLY suggest you reinforce the mounting ears by welding on the backside(inner part) of the caliper. I know yours didn't break through as you only milled 7mm, but that means you have only .5mm or .020" thickness in the center. I've already welded mine and they are off to get powder coated. Forgot to take pictures of after the welding but here is a couple right before I got them welded. When welding on the back side it's a bit tricky as the corner of the brake pad is pretty close but you have enough room to get at least 3mm of thickness and being that its in the corner and can go up the side some it adds a LOT of strength to the ears.

I know pretty much everyone else is just milling 7mm and I haven't heard of any failures, but this is a serious concern especially if someone were to run particularly sticky tires on the track that gives that extra grip and a lot of added stress on the caliper ears

Last edited by Charper732; 06-17-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charper732
Mr. Grieb, just a heads up so you don't run into a catastrophic failure, when milling ~7.5mm the metal on the ears breaks through to the other side. I discovered this last week when we were milling the calipers to get them centered on the rotors. I'm not sure how much force it would take to break or crack the ears completely but I would HIGHLY suggest you reinforce the mounting ears by welding on the backside(inner part) of the caliper. I know yours didn't break through as you only milled7mm, but that means you have only .5mm or .020" thickness in the center. I've already welded mine and they are off to get powder coated. Forgot to take pictures of after the welding but here is a couple right before I got them welded. When welding on the back side it's a bit tricky as the corner of the brake pad is pretty close but you have enough room to get at least 3mm of thickness and being that its in the corner and can go up the side some it adds a LOT of strength to the ears.

I know pretty much everyone else is just milling 7mm and I haven't heard of any failures, but this is a serious concern especially if someone were to run particularly sticky tires on the track that gives that extra grip and a lot of added stress on the caliper ears

Thanks for the post! I'm getting mine milled tomorrow. How much did you mill? Did you go more than 7.5mm? How much did the machine shop charge you to do the work? So I have an idea of what to expect.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charper732
Mr. Grieb, just a heads up so you don't run into a catastrophic failure, when milling ~7.5mm the metal on the ears breaks through to the other side. I discovered this last week when we were milling the calipers to get them centered on the rotors. I'm not sure how much force it would take to break or crack the ears completely but I would HIGHLY suggest you reinforce the mounting ears by welding on the backside(inner part) of the caliper. I know yours didn't break through as you only milled 7mm, but that means you have only .5mm or .020" thickness in the center. I've already welded mine and they are off to get powder coated. Forgot to take pictures of after the welding but here is a couple right before I got them welded. When welding on the back side it's a bit tricky as the corner of the brake pad is pretty close but you have enough room to get at least 3mm of thickness and being that its in the corner and can go up the side some it adds a LOT of strength to the ears.

Dang i didn't see that on mine but that looks sketchy! However I just went to my first track day this past weekend and had no problems with the calipers! they performed very well all day and never had a single failure or excessive brake fade. After each session I would check the temps of the brakes and they were upwards of 450 degrees!
Old 03-01-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This web site make them ready

www.charperbrakes.com
The following users liked this post:
Grip Hrd (03-11-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone have fitment info on these for wheels other than stocks? How is fitting them with RPF1's or 6UL?
Old 10-26-2018, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just bought some tl calipers. Is 7.5 the magic number I should get this milled ? Any other info would be great. Thanks everyone.