S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Electronic Hobbyist looking to have some fun!

Old 04-25-2019, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Hobbyist looking to have some fun!

Hey there S2KI!

I am looking to do some modifications electrically to the S2000. Previous projects I have always shared my designs, modifications, and even released kits in some instances.

What are some modifications/"creature comforts" you are looking for with your rides? I am not looking to sell anything right now, just wanting to get some feedback of what could make the AP1's or AP2's better, more friendly, or just overall cooler!

Right now I have a few things on my list to investigate:
Full push button start (no key), with remote sensing for security.
Automatic Lamp Lights (Creature Comfort!)
Custom Cluster Board
Collision detection (beep beep, you are about to hit something in your peripherals!)

No matter what ideas you have, throw them out, and they could be more viable than you know! I have access to laser cutters, milling, and PCB manufacturing. Benefits of being a geek i guess!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:49 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

You should check out Modifry. He has a website where he sells several popular innovative electronic mods for our cars. He also has a large list of freebie mods you can diy yourself.

His mods are more...focused on sports car practicality, rather than modern car creature comfort/perceived safery features. Personally most of your proposed mods are things I'm pleased my car does not have.

I am a strong opponent of a single user action having opposite outcomes depending on current (and not always obvious) states. Especially a potentially mission critical safety feature. Emergency! Full panic mode. Must turn off car now! (Examples. There is an engine fire. Someone is under the hood and suddenly they start screaming. There was an accident. The car is accelerating out of control). Wait, is the engine already off? Am I actually now turning it back on in my panic? Or maybe I know the engine is on, but its not responding to my actions. So I repeat them. With urgency. A lot. I have to keep doing it because at some point the ecu will wake up and only after that point will it respond to my press. But then, will it queue up my requests, and turn the engine off then on then off then on... Wouldn't it be much better if turning something one way meant on, the opposite way meant opposite action? You could just turn it that way and leave it. If the ecu finally wakes up, the switch is still in position you left it, and it can perform the action you requested. Plus you can visually see, and even feel, which position the switch is currently in.

The S2000 ignition is already near perfect as is. A button does one thing only. A switch has opposite directions for opposite actions. The only downside is you need to physically place the key into that switch.

You want to improve it, replace the ignition key switch with a simple knob, that only unlocks if key is present inside vehicle. But its still a switch you turn just like you do with the key. It all still operates the same, but you can keep the 'key' in your pocket.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
You should check out Modifry. He has a website where he sells several popular innovative electronic mods for our cars. He also has a large list of freebie mods you can diy yourself.

His mods are more...focused on sports car practicality, rather than modern car creature comfort/perceived safery features. Personally most of your proposed mods are things I'm pleased my car does not have.

I am a strong opponent of a single user action having opposite outcomes depending on current (and not always obvious) states. Especially a potentially mission critical safety feature. Emergency! Full panic mode. Must turn off car now! (Examples. There is an engine fire. Someone is under the hood and suddenly they start screaming. There was an accident. The car is accelerating out of control). Wait, is the engine already off? Am I actually now turning it back on in my panic? Or maybe I know the engine is on, but its not responding to my actions. So I repeat them. With urgency. A lot. I have to keep doing it because at some point the ecu will wake up and only after that point will it respond to my press. But then, will it queue up my requests, and turn the engine off then on then off then on... Wouldn't it be much better if turning something one way meant on, the opposite way meant opposite action? You could just turn it that way and leave it. If the ecu finally wakes up, the switch is still in position you left it, and it can perform the action you requested. Plus you can visually see, and even feel, which position the switch is currently in.

The S2000 ignition is already near perfect as is. A button does one thing only. A switch has opposite directions for opposite actions. The only downside is you need to physically place the key into that switch.

You want to improve it, replace the ignition key switch with a simple knob, that only unlocks if key is present inside vehicle. But its still a switch you turn just like you do with the key. It all still operates the same, but you can keep the 'key' in your pocket.
While I understand your position on it. The full push button conversion was actually my highest selling mod on the 07' Tacoma.

Having a variant to turn the keyhole into a knob is a very good idea though for both your desires to stay in control,and to potentially change the aesthetics of people going full conversion!

I have not heard of Modifry, and will most sure check his stuff out!

Like I said, I am a hobbyist and just enjoy creating solutions to problems!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by KaizenKody
The full push button conversion was actually my highest selling mod on the 07' Tacoma.
PM me a link so we stay under the radar.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:46 AM

Just because something is a really bad idea doesn't mean people won't buy it. People don't know that a button that does opposite things in different circumstances inadvertently trains them for ineffective behavior in an emergency.

People don't want to practice firedrills. But when their brain is in panic mode, they will do what they always do when that loud noise is going off (except this time there's smoke and heat so they do it frantically). Hopefully thats exit the building from the correct exit.

People in plane crashes sometimes stop to get their luggage as they are exiting the flaming fuselage. They are in panic mode, and their subconscious is running the show. So it tries to do all the steps normally involved in getting off the plane, but as fast as recklessly as possible.

Its not up to the people buying things to make them safe. Its up to the people designing and building them. To think of all the things down the line that could go wrong, and preventing it.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:17 AM

Just because something is a really bad idea doesn't mean people won't buy it. People don't know that a button that does opposite things in different circumstances inadvertently trains them for ineffective behavior in an emergency.

People don't want to practice firedrills. But when their brain is in panic mode, they will do what they always do when that loud noise is going off (except this time there's smoke and heat so they do it frantically). Hopefully thats exit the building from the correct exit.

People in plane crashes sometimes stop to get their luggage as they are exiting the flaming fuselage. They are in panic mode, and their subconscious is running the show. So it tries to do all the steps normally involved in getting off the plane, but as fast as recklessly as possible.

Its not up to the people buying things to make them safe. Its up to the people designing and building them. To think of all the things down the line that could go wrong, and preventing it.
Dang dude, you really have a bad view of life. I’m coming in trying to provide something for the community and all you can do is shit on the idea that you personally don’t like.

This is thread is about me using my skills for the community and making something that is desired.

I respect your opinion, but it’s just that. My 2017 Tacoma and most other new vehicles has this “button of mass death and destruction” that you are being overtly critical of.

I did a search on your posting history and found a peculiar quote on a review thread of all things.

“I can generally find something to complain about”

On that note, great work on getting products in cars and releasing reviews! It’s very needed in my opinion. I found some of your reviews helpful. But this doom and gloom over an theoretical idea is pretty sinister.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 PM

Sorry to sound negative. Not my intention. I welcome your input. I just wanted to guide you away from luxury type features that few here would want, and also to dissuade you from copying the misguided approach of a single action having opposing functions, when its a critical function that at times will need to be performed under severe duress.

The quote you found is taken out of context. It was about reviewing things. I can usually see beyond what is in front of me and make a well rounded evaluation of a product. The good and the less than perfect. A glowing review is rarely comprehensive. Saying something isn't perfect isn't saying its bad. The term 'complain about' in this context means open minded critical evaluation.

Again, sorry for coming across as negative. You are obviously a fellow engineer type. We often approach new and innovative things from a critical pov. Not to rain on the parade, but to refine the new idea with fire, so its better, stronger. I kinda let loose with that approach here, without first making that clear. Apologies.

You have the resources to do what few others here can. I look forward to what you come up with.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:58 AM

Sorry to sound negative. Not my intention. I welcome your input. I just wanted to guide you away from luxury type features that few here would want, and also to dissuade you from copying the misguided approach of a single action having opposing functions, when its a critical function that at times will need to be performed under severe duress.

The quote you found is taken out of context. It was about reviewing things. I can usually see beyond what is in front of me and make a well rounded evaluation of a product. The good and the less than perfect. A glowing review is rarely comprehensive. Saying something isn't perfect isn't saying its bad. The term 'complain about' in this context means open minded critical evaluation.

Again, sorry for coming across as negative. You are obviously a fellow engineer type. We often approach new and innovative things from a critical pov. Not to rain on the parade, but to refine the new idea with fire, so its better, stronger. I kinda let loose with that approach here, without first making that clear. Apologies.

You have the resources to do what few others here can. I look forward to what you come up with.
I understand! Thanks for offering your thoughts, they are valuable! With such attention to detail, what ideas / new mods would you like to see on the S2k?

I personally am already working on the full push button, cause thats something I want. In addition to integrating garage door buttons because I don't like anything on my visors!

I am even looking at some laser cut acrylic inserts/additions at different parts of the body/interior. Just something to pop the appearance without going full retard!
Old 04-26-2019, 07:51 AM

An integrated garage door opener is something I would really be interested in! I think Modifry has something where you can wire it up so when you flash your high beams, it triggers a door opener you hard wire under the dash. Hopefully you can improve on that setup!

You mentioned milling. One thing I've been wanting to look into is a spacer for behind steering wheel, to move it closer to driver. I know myself and others find it challenging to balance seatback angle and distance seat is adjusted fore/aft, and legroom and headroom. Not near enough headroom even with lowered seat, so more recline woukd help. But then I have to move seat up to reach steering, but then legs don't have enough room. I've seen others post asking about options for moving wheel out (only options now are aftermarket wheel, then no airbag).

From my investigation so far, a spacer might work. Would need to have keyed shape on both ends. Wheel has splines, but is also keyed to column. A longer bolt would also be needed. I haven't gotten far enough into it to see if wires for airbag and steering controls can extend. Don't think spacer would have to splined, so long as wheel still engaged enough spline length. Even half inch of spacer would have much effect.

Let me think about other ideas...
Old 04-26-2019, 09:38 AM

I'd actually be really interested in a true push button start, like other modern cars. Do you have a link to your tacoma one? I'm just curious on the implementation of it. From my NETSEC background, the things I would be worried about is someone sniffing the traffic and playing it back to the listening device, or if it's encrypted and there's some kind of handshake. Also, assuming that the key cylinder if still intact and in place, if it plays nice with the different key positions ( off, accessory only, on) since they're used for re-paring keyless entry. Is it using some kind of active RFID to get the scanning range to detect the fob?

Quick Reply: Electronic Hobbyist looking to have some fun!