S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Evil street/race car....

Old 11-28-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evil street/race car....

I own a 2002 S2000, it has done 70,xxx miles, I put 30k of those miles on it over 5 years. The 1st year I did 15k miles in it! I loved driving it so much back then. I always wanted one and even joined this forum several years before acquiring mine. The car is stock besides ap2 wheels and clear diffusers/side signals.

I am closing on 30 and have 2 small kiddos under 2. I spend maybe 2% of my driving time a year in the S since my 1st child was born. Due to a company vehicle that I work out of I cant even drive her to work. I am really tempted to strip it down and make her similar to what bbi has done with their Porsche shown below. No carpet, no a/c, no audio, no soft top, add hardtop, race seats/bar, suspension upgrades, and a mostly stock engine. Anyone done something like this? It would be close to a race car while still being driven on the streets. I like the idea of further simplifying the car and making it stop/go/handle better.

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO59SAjXKJA

One from my wedding day almost 3 years ago.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:14 PM

You'll end up hating it. Driving a stripped out race/track prepped car on the streets ends up being a chore and a headache that's not enjoyable for the long haul. Not worth it, unless de-valuing your car doesn't affect you. Personally, i would just put a nice turbo or supercharger kit on with a great tune and beat up bullies that try and pick a race with me. It's your car, your vision, and your decision.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you are actually planning on taking this car to the track, why on earth would you want your street car to resemble a race car? You will never be able to use your cars full potential on the street. I would leave the car the way it is and take it to the track. You would be amazed at how fun this car is in nearly stock form on a closed course where it is relatively safe to push it to the limits.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:32 AM

I have done to my S what you want to do to yours. I use it as a track car but like to take it in the streets sometimes. I use to love it, but now, with the race seats, harnesses and track alignment, I hate it (on the street, love it on the track )!!! Especially harnesses: you cannot move at all, when regular seat belt extend. That alone is huge.
I couldn't agree more with the responses above!!!! Don't do it unless you want to track it on a REGULAR basis!!! For a 2 or 3 track week ends a year, I would still live it stock!
The stock suspensions are already really good, unless you spend over 2k$ for good coilovers. The seats are already really good, better imo than the many race seats that I have tried. Carpet, ac, etc will not improve anything for a dd.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you just need to drive it more often
Old 11-29-2013, 09:40 AM

I guess I want a nice blend of street/race. I am not going to ruin the car, it will be well executed. I am picky about mods that is why mine has remained mostly stock, forced induction does not appeal to me. Mine is not mint it has nicks and scratches you'd expect on a 70k mile car. I would rate it at 8/10.

I do need to attend some track days/auto crosses...
Old 11-29-2013, 03:54 PM

If you really have too, I would say:
KW coilovers
Steel brake lines
Performance brake pads and brake fluid
17x9 rims and square 255 setup
Slight track alignment
Corner balancing
Squirts and hardtop for the look
If you are tall: BYS low seat rails.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Deano_d
I guess I want a nice blend of street/race. I am not going to ruin the car, it will be well executed. I am picky about mods that is why mine has remained mostly stock, forced induction does not appeal to me. Mine is not mint it has nicks and scratches you'd expect on a 70k mile car. I would rate it at 8/10.

take it to the track, autox a couple times before you do anything

gutting it down and go full race mode first gives you nothing to compare against with and probably would result in a waste of time and money
Old 12-03-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done what you said. My car is my daily driver and a track car. I use it on the track as often as i can, at least once a month and i daily drive it to work and back.

its an amazing amazing track car, i cant stress it enough, but im getting ready to buy a toyota tundra so i can retire it from the streets. Why? it gets annoying. seriously, i love my car, i really do but having no a/c in the summer sucks, the race seats with hard suspension suck, the noise sucks, no radio sucks... i can go on forever. But the moment i get to the track and start driving it the way it was meant to be driven its all worth it for me right now until i can get the Tundra so i can have both worlds.

The s2000 is great for a street car STOCK. the more you start messing with it (removing stuff) the worst it gets on the street
Old 12-03-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 623baller
Originally Posted by Deano_d' timestamp='1385750448' post='22900450

take it to the track, autox a couple times before you do anything

gutting it down and go full race mode first gives you nothing to compare against with and probably would result in a waste of time and money
I agree. Just slap some better brake pads on there and attend an HPDE track day, get a feel for the car, and then decide what path you want to take.

I started with a stock S2000 with just a roll bar and better tires...eventually I got coilovers because there was a deal I didn't want to pass up. Then I drove like that a few more weekends before I switched to a nonstaggered wheel setup. Lastly, I put a rear wing on it. By starting stock, I have a basis to compare my modifications to.

FYI before I attended a track day I wanted to do all this stuff like wider fenders, nonstaggered wheels, big brake kit, etc, and the experienced track guys were like "Just put better brake pads and get to the track". Really, the stock car is great as is. If you have an AP1, I think there are a couple preventative maintenance items, and more friendly alignment settings, but I'd check with others who know more.

Quick Reply: Evil street/race car....