S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Which exhaust option or mod?

Old 07-16-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which exhaust option or mod?

Is there anyone here that has had the chance to listen to the following options in person? I'm looking to choose between the following

1) Uk mod (whatever size, I'm thinking 44mm but it is extremely hard to gauge how loud it is. I have seen probably 10 youtube videos and just when i think "oh that's the sound I want", I'll pull up another one with the same 44mm mod that sounds SUPER quiet and almost stock. This one sounds super quiet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...pBtf22Oc#at=18

While this one makes me think that even a smaller diameter like 38mm or less would be loud enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PfQbUBeImBg

I'm thinking if it's not loud enough, I would remove the resonator but cant find a clip of that sound.

2) Muffler delete. Just remove the mufflers and put straight pipes in with tips. Keep the resonator. I am guessing this would be much louder but from sound clips, it sounds perfect and doesn't seem to be that loud. The link above has one with no mufflers and it doesn't sound too loud or raspy but I dont know if there's a very annoying drone or if it's just the camera that makes it seem quiet.

3) Ebay $165 shipped full dual catback system. Ive seen reviews, sometimes they need better welds on the hangers, they're loud as balls and they drone sometimes but I guess it depends on the one you get. I was thinking of just putting the silencer in and painting the silencer black so you cant see it in there.

I dont want to drop like $500-1000 on an exhaust i dont really want it for performance. i just want it for a nice sound but sound to me isnt worth $500+. For $100-200 on a uk mod, muffler delete or ebay exhaust it's definitely worth it.

Anyone can give me a real life experience comparison between these three?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Straight pipes will likely sound like ass (i never trust to make proper judgement about sound from shitty cellphone mic) ....i would do a UK mod and be done with it. i would stay away from el'cheapo exahusts...

edit: or shop around for cheap second hand (something like Q300 etc)
Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

i say uk exhaust mod, i went with 38mm, i would probably go 44mm if i did it all over again. but it's a tad louder in the cabin and if anything gives the exhaust a note instead of nothing

all my friends say it sounds great outside, and it's cheap. costed me $60 at an exhaust shop lol

EDIT:
this is my video. i can take another if you want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P58f-CyaB5c
Old 07-16-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
i say uk exhaust mod, i went with 38mm, i would probably go 44mm if i did it all over again. but it's a tad louder in the cabin and if anything gives the exhaust a note instead of nothing

all my friends say it sounds great outside, and it's cheap. costed me $60 at an exhaust shop lol

EDIT:
this is my video. i can take another if you want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P58f-CyaB5c
Do a cold start video.. Like tomorrow morning, please..
Old 07-16-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

why cold start? just wondering
Old 07-16-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

uk mod with test pipe is loud. good loud, no drone no rasp. with a cat it's barely louder than stock. mine is 1.5"
Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
id like to see if its neighbor friendly or not before I commit to it..
Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Thanks guys. I went with a UK mod today, took about an hour at a local muffler shop. The guy never did it before but he said someone called last week about an s2k mod but never came in so I just showed him a picture on my phone and he knows what I'm talking about. i asked if he can do 2" which comes out to 55mm or so but he said it'll be too thick. i went with 1.75"/44mm.
It sounds REALLY nice. It was a bit of a leap of faith because it's very hard to judge decibels and how loud the exhaust really is. Ebay exhausts actually dont sound that loud on camera but I've heard one in real life before and its pretty loud. Cant talk to the passenger due to the drone lol

And the whole thing about straight pipes.. it could be good but if it's going to drone or be raspy then that's just going to get annoying, and I'd have to buy new tips, etc. Too much hassle for a lot of unknown.

The guy said $120 and I asked him to do it for $100 so that was that. The place in socal that does this in Westminster raised their rates to $100 for the UK mod so i figured it's not bad. I'm not going to drive around all over town looking to save $20 so it was okay.

Review:
It sounds great. The reason why I chose to go with the mod was because even though I can't tell how LOUD it is, you can hear the tone. The tone is very sophisticated, I absolutely love it. There's ZERO "fart can"-esque quality to it. Sometimes fart cans or blatantly loud exhausts sound very cheap and obnoxious. The UK mod made the car sound like a high performance race car or exotic car's exhaust, very reminiscent of Ferrari, Porsche, GTR, etc.

And what I have read and seen in all the threads and videos I've searched.. people were right. Especially when they said the following:

1) It should have come like this stock. It's not loud enough that it never be a problem with the cops, it would have been very fitting for this sound to come out straight from the factory.

2) The sound tone and loudness is very reminiscent of the 350z's stock system, which is why a lot of people say statement #1. The 350z has a very sweet exhaust note and the S2000 stock does not because it doesnt sound like anything. This sounds quite similar to the Z and I would even say that the Z's stock exhaust is louder? Maybe not I have to check back in a week once I've driven it a while but when a Z is accelerating, it has a VERY distinct sound that you can hear from far away without it being obnoxious.

There is zero drone, even at 5th or 6th gear at 50mph pushing the gas quite a bit. I actually can barely hear the exhaust. The sound is only apparent when you are accelerating or engine breaking, not when cruising or coasting. When cruising it's not different than stock on the city streets. This is with top down. Not sure how it sounds on the highway or with top up.

I have heard some people say it gets louder after the welds cure in 2 days.. I would like it a bit louder. The tone and sound I love, but it could be a tad louder. I went 44mm too.

Anyone have a good high quality HD of the UK mod 44mm but also the mid-box/resonator removed? I would go test pipe but I live in CA so if I go catless that fine is like $1500 or something crazy. I'd rather not deal with that
Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by JDMpearlwhyteZ
Originally Posted by jaor.s2k' timestamp='1374016813' post='22670034
id like to see if its neighbor friendly or not before I commit to it..
It's very neighbor friendly. I posted a small review but at this point I think it's equal or not far off from the stock 350z's exhaust sound. It sounds absolutely beautiful and exotic, not ricey or jarringly loud. If this was an aftermarket exhaust, I would actually think that some people would be pissed off that it was too close to stock in terms of dB level. I mean it's loudER but by no means would I consider this a "loud" exhaust. Maybe with a test pipe but I dont know.. mine still has stock cats and stock resonator, stock intake with lid.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:08 PM

I would like someone with a test pipe to upload a cold start video.. I want to see how it sounds for when I take my random 2am cruises so I don't disturb my neighbors..

Having a cat won't help me determine the volume unfortunately since the sound should increase a little bit if not more..

Quick Reply: Which exhaust option or mod?