S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Modifications and Parts (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/)
-   -   flywheel bolts... help (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/flywheel-bolts-help-825519/)

philipminge 10-25-2010 05:17 PM

flywheel bolts... help

hey guys,

i have a fidanza flywheel going in and am having trouble getting aftermarket bolts.

ARP make bolts for the car but they want the specs of the originals..

does anyone know the spec of the standard bolts????

i havent got my car apart to give them an original...and they are miles away could take a while to get an answer...

anyone know length of bolt, width, thread type....i.e. (metric?)

anyone done this??

anyone help??

cheers for your time!

phil

Voodoo_S2K 10-25-2010 05:32 PM

The threads are 12 x 1.0 mm, but I don't recall how long they are. I also believe they have a 12 point head on them.

philipminge 10-25-2010 06:29 PM

thanks heaps mate...
anything helps

anyone else got anything??

philipminge 10-25-2010 07:42 PM

p.s. are ARP the way to go???

or go something else...

cheers

etang789 03-13-2011 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by philipminge (Post 19715288)
p.s. are ARP the way to go???

or go something else...

cheers

Did you ended up ordering the ARP bolts?

LickyMYwalker 03-13-2011 09:26 PM

cant you just use your stock bolts?

etang789 03-13-2011 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by LickyMYwalker (Post 20360428)
cant you just use your stock bolts?

my friend flywheel bolts backed out twice! So we need a solution for it.

SilverS2kF22C1 03-14-2011 02:19 AM

1. You are not suppose to reuse the stock bolts more then once.
2. You should be torquing the bolts down.
3. You should be using thread locker on the bolts
4. This also goes for the PP
5. ARP won't be any less prone to backing out if not installed correctly to start (other then being new)

etang789 03-14-2011 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by SilverS2kF22C1 (Post 20360754)
1. You are not suppose to reuse the stock bolts more then once.
2. You should be torquing the bolts down.
3. You should be using thread locker on the bolts
4. This also goes for the PP
5. ARP won't be any less prone to backing out if not installed correctly to start (other then being new)

1. It doesnt say in the manual that you cannot use the stock bolts more then once.
2. Yes I have followed all the torque specs
3. Many ppl suggested not to use locktite
5. True but ARP should can withstand more stress in the long run

SilverS2kF22C1 03-14-2011 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by etang789 (Post 20360801)
1. It doesnt say in the manual that you cannot use the stock bolts more then once.
2. Yes I have followed all the torque specs
3. Many ppl suggested not to use locktite
5. True but ARP should can withstand more stress in the long run

1. I am fairly certain the Honda Shop Manual states to replace both the flywheel and PP bolts, I will confirm if needed. Either way it is good practice to replace critical hardware when using OEM.
2. Are you following the torquing pattern?
3. Red locktite would be bear but useable, but blue would be adequate. No harm in using locktite.
5. Flywheel is not under tension so there is little no to benefit in using them for this application. You aren't pulling on them but pushing against them. What they do offer in most cases is the ability to remove and reinstall without replacement. Alot of OEM hard ware is Torque to Yield (not saying they are in this applicaiton) which makes them really one time use. Can you use them again? Yeah they will screw in and tighten but don't be have the same because they already yielded.

Just trying to point out that something is missing with what you and your friend are doing. Replacing them with ARP hardware MAY solve the issue or not. Understanding what you are doing and what you are using is key. I can't recall EVER seeing a thread with someone having issues with the flywheel bolts loosening up after a clutch install.

I would think the focus would be to understand why that is happening instead of just throwing money at it hoping it will solve it. It may but was it because you used new hardware, you torque it in the right pattern, etc...

Not sure what ARP bolts would run but you can get all new OEM bolts for under 40... Quick search for ARP 12mm X 1.5 bolt found something similar for 19bux a pop... But I am unsure if the shouldered portion of the bolt is important for locating also

I know the bolt size is 12X1.0 but that only yields results for B series motors and those are 75ish a set, but I do not think they are long enough.