S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Greddy SE Review

Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy SE Review

Background
I daily drive my S, so I wanted an exhaust that had little to no drone and a sporty tone that would not be too intrusive.
I settled on the Greddy SE system due to many reviews on this site discussing how streetable this system was. I also liked that it had 70mm to 60mm piping. I opted for the dual polished tips to keep a look that was close to stock.

Quality
The system is top-notch in terms of quality. The welds are great and everything was packaged extremely well (see the pictures below).

Installation
The system went in very easy and fit exceptionally well. The tips fit nicely in the AP2 bumper and the hangers did not need adjusting (I used the AP2 hangers).

First Impressions
On first start-up my thought was "this thing is LOUD". After checking for leaks, I went for a quick drive. The more I drove, the more disappointed I became. The exhaust was loud, boomy at low RPMs, and made everything vibrate like I had solid motor mounts. I had read that some systems need to be broken in for a few hundred miles so I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

Second Impression
After several hundred miles and a variety of driving conditions (highway, city, top up and down) I reevaluated the system. After the break-in period, much of the "boomy" sound became more of mellow tone, but significant drone remained around 2750-3250 rpm. I love the sound of the exhaust outside of the "drone-zone". Sporty, refined, and overall fitting of the car. Unfortunately, the drone and boomy nature of the exhaust is just too much for a daily driver in my opinion. I found that I was avoiding hills and stoplights because I did not want to vibrate my brain to mush.

Final Thoughts
I REALLY wanted to love this exhaust, but in the end I feel that it is just too obnoxious for a daily-driven S2000.

Pictures
Greddy SE Review-dgtnu.jpg

Greddy SE Review-nhx2q.jpg

Greddy SE Review-3bahz.jpg

Greddy SE Review-c6qde.jpg
Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

If you don't like it, send it my way. Haha, jk, I'm sure you'll grow to like it.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

do you think you could take some sound clips? I love everything about this exhaust but the reviews seem to be hit or miss. All I really need to do is get a ride in an s2k with the se duals and see if I can really deal with it.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Testpipe or HFC will take some of the drone away but make the exhaust noise a bit louder.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Where in NC are you? I have the Tanabe Touring Medallion. The Greddy SE was the other system I was considering as my S2000 is my daily driver also.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very much a matter of opinion. I have a test pipe and the SE dual and I daily drive my car, I think it's loud but I want something louder. However, I was concede that based on everything i read on these forums before i purchased it, it was louder than I expected on my first drive. But for me, I was pleasantly surprised at this face.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine for over 1 1/2... Combine with PLM header and test pipe it sounds very good... I really like the sound on this exhaust. No drone sound on mine just sport car sound...

Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 PM

Anyone have some good quality pics on AP1 rear?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:13 AM

you sound like me with my Q300 with hiflow cat 70mm exhaust is very nicely put together but that dam RASPY tone when I get on it drives me nuts. I have been thinking of putting the stock cat back on but that is sh!t I wanted all 70 mm piping and now I have to go back to 63mm stock cat to get rid of the raspy note maybe. I had an Apexi WS2 that thing sound great with the hiflow cat. But I just wanted to be a little louder.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:22 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

It seems the only people that are unhappy with this exhaust are people that are new to the S2000. I mean no offense by that statement. The S2000 is a sports car that makes a lot of compromises to be what it is. That means EVERY SINGLE EXHAUST for this car will have some of that boomy drone. If the Greddy SE is too much for you, stock is the only option. I had an Invidia and a Greddy SE on my last S2000. My stock CR exhaust drones on decel at those rpms as well. Its just the nature of the beast (S2000).

I had the Greddy SE for 2 years, and its now on a locals car. It gets louder over time, but it also drones less after a couple thousand miles. I also ran a test pipe from day 1 and had no complaints.

Quick Reply: Greddy SE Review