S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

HFC with AP1 stock exhaust vs aftermarket exhaust setup

Old 02-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
GReddy Emanage and I believe Apexi has a small piggy back that might be able to as well.
Yes any of the vafc line up. But the NEO is the only one worth a damn on this car simply because you can tune vtec engagement by both rpm and throttle position, rather then just rpm only. Of course none of them you can add fuel, only subtract so that's the biggest limiter depending on how many breathing mods you have.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-07-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Yes any of the vafc line up. But the NEO is the only one worth a damn on this car simply because you can tune vtec engagement by both rpm and throttle position, rather then just rpm only. Of course none of them you can add fuel, only subtract so that's the biggest limiter depending on how many breathing mods you have.
Thank you both.

I have k&n fipk and berk hfc. I don.t want to buy rsx ecu for few horses.
So i am thinking of only altering vtec engagement. Do you think this neo is good way to go, or should i leave like it is?

Thank you
Old 02-07-2019, 09:08 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by jsaric
Thank you both.

I have k&n fipk and berk hfc. I don.t want to buy rsx ecu for few horses.
So i am thinking of only altering vtec engagement. Do you think this neo is good way to go, or should i leave like it is?

Thank you
Its the most basic and cheapest option to lower vtec and trim some fuel in the top end and under the vtec engagement point which is where you will find its needed if you are just going with a few basic mods, which is sounds like you are doing. I actually run a NEO with my stage one supercharger today. This was all that was really available back in the day and it still works good enough for my needs/expectations. Keep in mind that you really should have a wideband installed on your car so you can make sure the fuel tune is correct initially after tuning and keeping it there throughout the season if its a yearly driven car. Make sure you opt for the pnp harness with the NEO, this is a must to insure ease and trouble free future operation. If it turns out you need to add fuel, get an AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator and turn up the pressure for enrichment, then trim out what you don't need in the rpm with the NEO. Old school.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Its the most basic and cheapest option to lower vtec and trim some fuel in the top end and under the vtec engagement point which is where you will find its needed if you are just going with a few basic mods, which is sounds like you are doing. I actually run a NEO with my stage one supercharger today. This was all that was really available back in the day and it still works good enough for my needs/expectations. Keep in mind that you really should have a wideband installed on your car so you can make sure the fuel tune is correct initially after tuning and keeping it there throughout the season if its a yearly driven car. Make sure you opt for the pnp harness with the NEO, this is a must to insure ease and trouble free future operation. If it turns out you need to add fuel, get an AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator and turn up the pressure for enrichment, then trim out what you don't need in the rpm with the NEO. Old school.
thank you very much

​​​​​​
​​​​
Old 02-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys, I've finally worked out what I'm going with at my local exhaust shop, please rate it if you will

custom ceramic coated steel big tube headers (63.5mm outlet) brought these second hand for $150!!!! couldn't pass on them, just needed a ceramic coat >>>> custom 100CEL HFC (63.5mm inlet/ 60mm outlet) >>>> OEM rest of the way with UK mod (I want to keep stock look and love the sound) (60mm inlet) although I've read its actually 57mm...either way it will be port matched.

Note that I can't go with a test pipe because it is illegal in my area and a germ pipe is just too dam expensive and hard to get where I live without paying extensive shipping costs.

At first I was worried of bottleneck but was assured these dimensions did not fluctuate enough to cause much of an issue. I read in the exhaust thread from Gernby that this may cause a pulsing effect as the larger diameter is kept close to the engine.

headers before ceramic coating
Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

The stock header is actually quite good. Not sure how much benefit an aftermarket header will be with stock catback.

The price was cheap enough, so I can understand the impulse. A very good plan otherwise. Except...it sounds like you are having a shop custom make the hfc. Will they use stainless steep piping? Will they weld it using stainless filler rod? You don't want it rusting out prematurely.

Also, a 100 cell count might have some exhaust odor, and may give you a cel. I woukd think 200 cell would be better choice for a street car with stock catback.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 AM

I understand the headers won't make much noticeable difference, the seller claimed the car felt less restrictive but he probably just wanted to sell the dam thing. I believe the ceramic coating will be the most beneficial in terms of IAT.

They will probably use stainless steel yes, will this be a rust issue? I planned on discussing potential rust issues with them beforehand.

I can fix the cel with either my OBD2 scanner or Greddy emanage at a later date. 100CEL is less restrictive and sits (for me anyway) halfway between a 200CEL and test pipe and most importantly, legal (sort of).
Old 02-07-2019, 11:21 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by M1KK_10
I understand the headers won't make much noticeable difference, the seller claimed the car felt less restrictive but he probably just wanted to sell the dam thing. I believe the ceramic coating will be the most beneficial in terms of IAT.

They will probably use stainless steel yes, will this be a rust issue? I planned on discussing potential rust issues with them beforehand.

I can fix the cel with either my OBD2 scanner or Greddy emanage at a later date. 100CEL is less restrictive and sits (for me anyway) halfway between a 200CEL and test pipe and most importantly, legal (sort of).
Emanage will not solve a cel. what you would need is a simple bung extender for the 02 sensor in the HFC.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-07-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:35 PM

they're going to put a spacer for the o2 sensor, hopefully that solves it