S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Honda S2000 Purchase Advice Mechanical

Old 03-03-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda S2000 Purchase Advice Mechanical

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this.

So I have been lurking on this sub for a while and buying an s2000 has really become a dream of mine. I saved up quite a bit of money and started shopping around for s2000's around the area in hopes of making it my spring summer daily driver. I also wanted to work on my car and hopefully learn allot from it as well. I stumbled onto this car right here:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/c...516107926.html

The faults according to the owner are:
Needs Body Work
Need Fluids Changed
Needs New Roof
Drivers Chair has tears

The car is a one owner car and he daily drove this thing for years. He has maintenance records going back to 01.

After talking to him for a while he said he would take 6,250 as his lowest.
What do you guys think? How much would it cost to bring this guy back up into good/great condition?
Is it worth it or should i spend 10 grand and get a car with same miles but cleaner?
Old 03-03-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Definitely cheap and good car if you want to start tinkering. I'd want the core mechanical bits check, i.e. compression and also alignment. Hopefully you have a few thousand above that (potentially) in your budget. Seats for that generation are not difficult to come by.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:02 AM

Honestly the car looking perfect is second to a well maintained one in my opinion. To replace the top repair the seats and fix up the car from the outside are all cosmetic deficiencies that i can fix when i please.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Definitely have the mechanical things checked. 00-01 had the 2 hole banjo bolts and all ap1’s had the weaker vavletrain. Just make sure the compression and leak down is good. Probably not a bad idea to have the trans and diff fluid checked to make sure there isn’t excessive metal shavings. Beyould that it’s definiteyl in rough shape. The body work is where I’d be the most concerned since finding a good paint shop that’s reasonable on price can be a pain. Seats and top are relatively easy swaps. Hmotors tends to get Jdm seat sets for good prices. Just have to keep checking them or contact them and see if they can get red ones. End of the day you’ll need to add up the cost of all the new pets and work that will need to be done and have a bit for the unexpected things. If that bring you in under what a cleaner one would cost out the door then do it. If not it all depends on how badly you want the project over just a cleaner car.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:19 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Worth mentioning I think billman is in New York. Great person to have inspect the car if he is close enough to you.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd stray away from this "project". Everyone will say it's more important for a car to be in good shape mechanically than cosmetically, which I agree with. But if someone is willing to let something go to shit cosmetically, why would they take care of it mechanically? I've never seen a top in that condition before. Auto body repair gets expensive quick. I would move along unless you're in the auto body business or looking for a project. I'm sure the price is appealing, but this has the potential to get expensive real quick. Furthermore he told you fluids need changed, yet the ad says fluids were changed regularly.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:42 AM

Honestly the car looking perfect